Week of Competition

Fedorzilla

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What do you guys do?

I have a competition this Friday and I don't need to cut any weight. I've been training a good bit. Not a major tourney. I trained hard Saturday and Sunday. Probably taking today and tomorrow off (but run in the morning/night tomorrow) then Wednesday class. Thursday might just go in and do some light rolling.

What would you guys normally do the week of training before a tourney?

Same as what you're doing. Take it easy during practice, put in a few good workouts/runs.

Also how's your diet? I know a lot of guys who don't eat right before competition and they gain weight or don't have energy.

I have a tournament on Saturday. I plan on doing 2 classes Tuesday, class on wednesday, full afternoon class on Thursday and come in for the evening class, but not roll, just drill some simple stuff to get it into my head.

When I have a tournament on a saturday I train until wensday, and that always my last day. Unless I am sore on wensday then I will only do some drilling.

I train right up thru thursday, as long as I'm eating and sleeping right.

I usually train up until the afternoon of the day two days before the competition. So I give myself a day and a half's rest. Any more than that, and I start to feel off the pace for whatever reason.

Also, given that I compete a lot, if I took three days off for every competition, I'd be cutting my regular training time in half, so I have to try and find a balance.

Just my approach!

Take care,

Oli

I usually train up until the afternoon of the day two days before the competition. So I give myself a day and a half's rest. Any more than that, and I start to feel off the pace for whatever reason.

Also, given that I compete a lot, if I took three days off for every competition, I'd be cutting my regular training time in half, so I have to try and find a balance.

Just my approach!

Take care,

Oli

This sounds about right.

Also when rolling, don't try anything "new", just stick to what you are doing at that point.

Small local/regional tournament: train all the way up to the tournament. no need to rest unless you are combating injuries.

Large/national tournaments: you may want to do a classic taper. Decreasing amount of time rolling and bumping up the intensity as you draw close to the tournament in the last two weeks. the two days preceeding the tournament you need to not roll hard at all but make sure you stretch and get your blood flowing still.

Really, there are whole books written on this subject but the majority of olympic athletes seem to do a 2-3 week taper before major competitions. This, of course, can only be done a few times/year as it will adversly affect your training if done more often.

Small local/regional tournament: train all the way up to the tournament. no need to rest unless you are combating injuries.

Large/national tournaments: you may want to do a classic taper. Decreasing amount of time rolling and bumping up the intensity as you draw close to the tournament in the last two weeks. the two days preceeding the tournament you need to not roll hard at all but make sure you stretch and get your blood flowing still.

This my routine also. Pretty much have to follow this routine if you compete a lot or you will spend most of your time resting. I treat everything but an IBJFF tourney as just another form of training.

Back