WEC fighters in UFC

Rambo89

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I recently went down a wormhole on 135 and 145 fighters from WEC to see how many of them are still in the UFC. The only ones that are still at the top are Aldo, Faber, Cruz, KZ, and Swanson.

There were so many that came over in the lighter weight classes who kind of disappeared... Jorgenson, Gamburyan, Page, Mizugaki, Griffin, Bowles, Campuzano, Torres, Mccall, Brown, Curran, Escovedo, Palaszewski, Cariaso, Hominick, Jabouin, Paixao, Roop, Garcia, Garza, etc etc

Why didn't these people last.. some of them yes were at the end of there career but the vast majority were only between 31-34 when they vanished and stopped fighting... weird coincidence!!

more competition. top tier fighters are still somewhat relevant.

Miguel Torres was a beast. would've been nice to see him in the UFC earlier in his career when he still had his best days ahead of him. dude had a shit ton of fights even before getting to WEC.

I think you answered your own question: Most of those guys were at the end of their careers.

Love me some WEC

Torres just falling off was kinda weird especially after Dana gave him his job back after firing him.
:)

Dude, the WEC was absorbed 10 years ago. Almost no athlete from 10 years ago is still at the top of their game. Besides, age catches up to smaller fighters more quickly than the heavier weights.

Dude it's been a decade since the merger.

How many of the UFC's fighters from 2010 are still around and performing at a high level? Probably roughly the same, and UFC had much more fully formed divisions at lightweight and welterweight at the time.

Also fighters in lighter weight classes drop off at a younger age. Once the speed and reflexes go, it's a steep drop. Frankie and Urijah are anomalies.

@Black Blood Jesus man I swear I didn't rip off your post, we just literally had the same ideas and posted at the exact same minute lmao.

Last edited:
So basically nobody
suicide_gun_by_mollad.jpg

Have a go...

yea 31-34 sounds about right. That's when you're no longer in fighting shape and should retire. Those who chose to stay after that age tend to go on a losing streak. See those active fighters you named like Aldo, Faber and Cruz. They should honestly just retire.

Smaller weight class fighters start declining quickly when they start to lose speed, which typically starts happening in the early 30's. So yeah, it makes perfect sense that very few of these guys are still around.

I recently went down a wormhole on 135 and 145 fighters from WEC to see how many of them are still in the UFC. The only ones that are still at the top are Aldo, Faber, Cruz, KZ, and Swanson.

There were so many that came over in the lighter weight classes who kind of disappeared... Jorgenson, Gamburyan, Page, Mizugaki, Griffin, Bowles, Campuzano, Torres, Mccall, Brown, Curran, Escovedo, Palaszewski, Cariaso, Hominick, Jabouin, Paixao, Roop, Garcia, Garza, etc etc

Why didn't these people last.. some of them yes were at the end of there career but the vast majority were only between 31-34 when they vanished and stopped fighting... weird coincidence!!

There's a couple more than that around at the top level.

Benavidez is fighting for the FLW title.
Assuncao is ranked #5 at BW

Lamas, Alcantara, Wineland and Yahya are the other remaining FW and below WEC guys.

WEC merged with the UFC 10 years ago dude. Many of those fighters had long careers before coming to the UFC. This thread is at least 5 years too late.

WEC ended a decade ago. There is very few fighters who could fight at the highest level for that long. Hell, I doubt anybody from the Strikeforce days is in their prime now.

I'd be shocked if guys like Overeem, Cruz, Jacare and Aldo are still fighting 2 years from now.

Most of those you listed that are still fighting were very young when they were fighting, and still at the top despite being green. KZ is 32, Also 33, Dom 34. Faber is the only exception but he had the style/matchmaking to survive. Kind reminds me of Matt Hughes in a lot of ways. He had a couple loses in a row but had a nice streak and beat Almeida when he seemed to be a win away from the title.

I guess we have different meanings for at the top.
<36>

Mike Brown has become one of the best corner man in MMA

Lighter fighters tend to have a shorter shelf life. Speed kills at those lower weight classes and as soon as you miss a step or your reaction time wanes just a bit you're dead in the water. The horrible weight cuts these guys suffer through takes a toll on your body too. 10 years after the merger and you're wondering why these guys are no longer competitive? What percentage of top 10 fighters from 10 years ago are still top 10 today?

There's a couple more than that around at the top level.

Benavidez is fighting for the FLW title.
Assuncao is ranked #5 at BW

Lamas, Alcantara, Wineland and Yahya are the other remaining FW and below WEC guys.
This.

I think Poirier deserves honourable mention as well. Don't believe he ever fought at 145 in the WEC, but most of his UFC career has been 145.

Because the WEC was absorbed nearly a decade ago.

Is it that hard to figure out? Jesus, how many top fighters from 10 years ago are still around, period?

Most people who peaked 10 years ago have vanished and stopped fighting.

Kampmann, Florian, Maynard, Sherk, Alves, Hardy, Okami, GSP, Hendo, A Silva, Big Nog, Lil Nog, Forrest Griffin, Rashad Evans, Arlovski.

"Like OMG, 10 years ago Maynard, A Silva, Big Nog, Griffin, Evans, Hardy and Alves were all between 30 and 35. Why did the vanish and stop fighting?!?"

WEC proved once again that UFC didn't have the monopoly on all the biggest stars. Most WEC fighters - just like most UFC fighters - were not top 10 material year in and year out, and their career petered out. So finish your fucking research and tell us about all the decent UFC fighters from that era who's careers also petered out. Ping me when you finish. Thanks.

Back