Wearing thai shorts in commerical gym

Sorry -- maybe I should be more specific: there are a handful of guys who show up at the particular LA Fitness (a large, commercial gym chain) closer to my house who have clearly never trained anything in their lives, and will strap on a pair of 5-6 ounce MMA gloves and wail away on the bag. Guys working out in MMA shorts is one thing, but this is the absolute worst. In addition to looking ridiculous, it's pretty dangerous.

do you mean u would wear them while lifting weights and bag work or just bag work? it would be pretty weird to see a guy lifting in thai shorts. you could always try mma shorts.
I would only wear my thai shorts if i were to hit the bags, which would be every thursday

If you're gonna wear them, at least make sure you have decent MT

I use to go to a MMA gym for sometime but stopped because i could not afford to pay for a commercial gym and also MMA at the same time. Also school and everything else was creating conflicting schedules, so i had to stop it. Hopefully i can start back up once i start my career and i am using the bags at these commercial gyms to make sure i dont get rusty with my technique and keep in shape

Thank you guys for the great replies, i dont really give a rats ass if i wear thai shorts and people start to stare, as long as i am comfortable training, thats all that matters to me. Its good to know i am not the only one who wonders and does what i want to to outside of the MMA/bjj/thai gyms

Sorry -- maybe I should be more specific: there are a handful of guys who show up at the particular LA Fitness (a large, commercial gym chain) closer to my house who have clearly never trained anything in their lives, and will strap on a pair of 5-6 ounce MMA gloves and wail away on the bag. Guys working out in MMA shorts is one thing, but this is the absolute worst. In addition to looking ridiculous, it's pretty dangerous.

Thats just not smart, you are correct bro with getting hurt and i hate those f*ing wanna bes

Good thing my NYSC doesnt have many of those guys around, its funny bc the only ppl who hit the bags/ utilize that room is asians lol. And im asian btw lol. Not saying people don't want to but i guess ppl are more reserved at my NYSC

I use to wear them when I went to LA Fitness. I didn't care about anyone else. I got in my heavy bag workouts there when I didn't have time to hit my regular muay thai gym. I use to wear my thai shorts and work on the bag even when there was an aerobics class in session. I didn't give a rats ass if anyone thought it was weird. The aerobics instructor didn't mind i was there either.

+1 to that.

:icon_chee

aha. then i agree with you. :icon_chee

It's a gym, not a fashion parade. Wear whatever you need to wear, if thats MT shorts, wear them, if it's nail polish and eyeliner then I suggest shades of red as red is a more motivational color.

It's never acceptable to wear Thai shorts to a regular gym.

Unless you're wearing these:
hello-kitty-boxing-shorts.jpg

get yourself some fourty thieves shorts, they look like beach trunks and they offer tons of freedom for high kicks and you wont look like a poser ;) i kid...

After my MT classes I usually go straight to the gym to lift weights so I just keep my MMA shorts on. They're super comfortable and I honestly dont give a fuck if people think I'm a poser.

Honestly TS, who cares if people stare at your clothes.
Wear what's comfortable for the bag work and keep doin yo thang.

I would love to wear my shorts but I don't.

I must admit I used to worry what other people would say or think but that's stupid.

But I choose not to wear them because I already attract unwanted attention in forms of looks and stares which I dont mind. What is annoying is when someone comes up looks, stares, and wait for you to finish and then fire off with a hundred questions. Normally i don't mind talking but small talk in the middle of a workout is a pet peeve of mine.

I use to go to a MMA gym for sometime but stopped because i could not afford to pay for a commercial gym and also MMA at the same time.

This is where you went wrong. There's no need to go to a poser gym where ppl give a fuck what you wear. Why not join a MT gym if you want to wear the shorts or stick with MMA.

I wear what is reasonably clean. Sometimes my thai shorts are the cleanest.

haha just do it with a straight face.

We had this dude, "Clarence" that would come into my gym and green spandex pants, showing off everything lmao. He would also wear some funny ass shirt and, on top of all that, some crazy hat. Like some weird crazy hat. Like a santa hat in December. And he always had a straight face, just, funny, and I think, kept people he didn't want to socialize with, away from him, heh.

Not that I am advocating wearing green spandex pants with a hat.

I think thai shorts are completely understandable if you are doing heavy bag work, however if you wear them just to lift it might be a bit strange. But do what you want to do and what you're comfortable with. At least they aren't vale tudo shorts, those might get some looks.

If your training hard no one will give you crap. I lift in Under Armour compression shirt and shorts because it gives my great range of motion throughout my lifts and doesn't restrict me all. It does honestly help that I'm 5'11", 180 and shredded like Josh Thomson, so I don't gross anyone out.

I always wear my grappling shorts to the gym, except my 1 set of tap out shorts (I can't help but associate tap out and affliction with douchiness). Most people have never heard of Atama, Jaco or Sprawl outside of the combat sports world. I usually wear my fairtex shorts since they're my longest. Thai shorts are too flashy for me to wear at the regular gym. Plus my Thai shorts are REALLY short. It just seems... weird to wear them while bench pressing

Back