Wearing socks in BJJ training:

ILikeDogging

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That tells me one of two things:

a) You've got some infection on your foot.

b) You're weird and think it's appropriate to wear socks and look strange.

Whichever one is true I like you a little less because of it.

That tells me one of two things:

a) You've got some infection on your foot.

b) You're weird and think it's appropriate to wear socks and look strange.

Whichever one is true I like you a little less because of it.

I haven't trained in years, but recently started to teach my young son a few things. I absolutely HATE wearing socks, it is dangerous, and it looks stupid, but I always did wear socks when training, out of courtesy and also to save from the embarrassment.

You see, I have no fungus or infection on my feet, but my feet usually look just like or worse than an infection or fungus does. I had been to countless doctors growing up to find out what was going on. I recall being 9 years old and having a room full of doctors analyzing my feet and hands scratching their heads with no answer. There was no fungus, no infection, absolutely nothing that can harm anyone else coming in contact with me. I literally had no answer for most of my life, and time when I did Jiu Jitsu.

Jiu Jitsu wasn't something that I just wanted to quit, it had helped me become a confident person and I loved it. I didn't want to make people uncomfortable, so I always wore ankle socks. In my last group class that I was participating in for awhile, where I'd become friends with the instructor after assisting with his computer issues. I was asked to be in some videos that would be posted on the website demonstrating the techniques. Sounded fun, so when we go to film the moves I was told to take off my socks which I did hesitantly but finally did because on that particular day it was very mild. Apparently it did not go unnoticed and immediately there was a lecture about hygiene and then the mats were all cleaned before class continuing. I was so embarrassed that I never returned.

Awhile after, I found a dermatologist who was supposedly one of the most experienced in the field. He took one look at my feet and pulled up a website showing me exactly what it was that I had. He described it as 'Hyper Plantar & Palmar Keratoderma'. Plantar meaning the bottoms of your feet, and Palmar meaning the palms of your hand. *warning* don't go looking up images if you plan to eat anytime soon. Anyway, I haven't seen images of it in awhile, but I recall only 1 image online being anywhere near what happens to me.

There is no cure no cure for this. The doctor who diagnosed it was actually incredibly rude when I was questioning him about it cures. I was scolded "There is no cure!, you were born with this, and you're going to die with this. They will cure cancer before they cure this." (exact words of the doctor).

For me, the suggested "Treatments" only accelerate the process and seem to make things worse and more painful. It not only looks terrible, it feels very uncomfortable, and socks amplify the feeling.

So, to the poster... a) I don't have an infection, and b) I hate the way socks look, I think it looks infinitely cooler in a jiu jitsu gi to have no socks on, and I'm pretty damn jealous of it. Not only for the look, but it feels way better to not wear socks.

I found this post because I was searching Google for options for grappling "footwear". Just to wear when teaching my boy and possibly a few other family members. I have always thought about getting back into training a little, and possibly joining a gym but I can never get myself to do it.

Any thoughts on this? Does anyone know anyone with this issue? Anyone know any quality footwear made for grappling? with some grip on the bottom preferably?

Poster, if you were in my position would you just let everyone else deal with it and wear no socks? or would you just quit jiu jitsu entirely?

I have really bad cracked, fucked up heels. No matter what I do, they're fucked. So, I wear socks with grip on the bottom like you see at the hospital. It's for your benefit, no one wants to be scratched by someones heel.

Use this in the shower:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00756HQNQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Then this in the shower (use both sides):

http://www.amazon.com/Tweezerman-50..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1YV1N5B02P320PR79P47

Then get out and dry your feet and use this:

http://www.amazon.com/OKeeffes-K032...TF8&qid=1449611090&sr=1-4&keywords=foot+cream

In a week or two your feet will be 1000 times better and you can take off your socks. My feet were never bad enough I had to wear socks but I was tired of all the dead skin\cracked heels and other misc damage done by grappling.

c) the mat is cold and i am not warmed up yet

I haven't trained in years, but recently started to teach my young son a few things. I absolutely HATE wearing socks, it is dangerous, and it looks stupid, but I always did wear socks when training, out of courtesy and also to save from the embarrassment.

You see, I have no fungus or infection on my feet, but my feet usually look just like or worse than an infection or fungus does. I had been to countless doctors growing up to find out what was going on. I recall being 9 years old and having a room full of doctors analyzing my feet and hands scratching their heads with no answer. There was no fungus, no infection, absolutely nothing that can harm anyone else coming in contact with me. I literally had no answer for most of my life, and time when I did Jiu Jitsu.

Jiu Jitsu wasn't something that I just wanted to quit, it had helped me become a confident person and I loved it. I didn't want to make people uncomfortable, so I always wore ankle socks. In my last group class that I was participating in for awhile, where I'd become friends with the instructor after assisting with his computer issues. I was asked to be in some videos that would be posted on the website demonstrating the techniques. Sounded fun, so when we go to film the moves I was told to take off my socks which I did hesitantly but finally did because on that particular day it was very mild. Apparently it did not go unnoticed and immediately there was a lecture about hygiene and then the mats were all cleaned before class continuing. I was so embarrassed that I never returned.

Awhile after, I found a dermatologist who was supposedly one of the most experienced in the field. He took one look at my feet and pulled up a website showing me exactly what it was that I had. He described it as 'Hyper Plantar & Palmar Keratoderma'. Plantar meaning the bottoms of your feet, and Palmar meaning the palms of your hand. *warning* don't go looking up images if you plan to eat anytime soon. Anyway, I haven't seen images of it in awhile, but I recall only 1 image online being anywhere near what happens to me.

There is no cure no cure for this. The doctor who diagnosed it was actually incredibly rude when I was questioning him about it cures. I was scolded "There is no cure!, you were born with this, and you're going to die with this. They will cure cancer before they cure this." (exact words of the doctor).

For me, the suggested "Treatments" only accelerate the process and seem to make things worse and more painful. It not only looks terrible, it feels very uncomfortable, and socks amplify the feeling.

So, to the poster... a) I don't have an infection, and b) I hate the way socks look, I think it looks infinitely cooler in a jiu jitsu gi to have no socks on, and I'm pretty damn jealous of it. Not only for the look, but it feels way better to not wear socks.

I found this post because I was searching Google for options for grappling "footwear". Just to wear when teaching my boy and possibly a few other family members. I have always thought about getting back into training a little, and possibly joining a gym but I can never get myself to do it.

Any thoughts on this? Does anyone know anyone with this issue? Anyone know any quality footwear made for grappling? with some grip on the bottom preferably?

Poster, if you were in my position would you just let everyone else deal with it and wear no socks? or would you just quit jiu jitsu entirely?

Tabi, maybe?

if you won't roll with a guy who wears socks in class, you're a homophobe.

I take it that you don't live in Northern Europe? If I can see my breath inside the gym then I'm wearing socks. :rolleyes:

I absolutely HATE wearing socks, it is dangerous, and it looks stupid...

lol. dangerous? did i miss something..

I wear clean socks for grappling when it is cold at the gym. in the winter i always have cold fingers and toes.

wearing socks maybe also protects my feet from skin disease, not totally sure about that though haha.

Errrr..... no. It means your feet have been torn up on the mat and you want to give it a chance to heal.

I've only seen Bill "The Grill" Cooper do it once but he can get away with it because he's a bad ass and one of the best ever.

I wouldn't judge someone that wore socks as long as it wasn't a regular thing. Then I'd think it was a little bit goofy.

Spot the guys that wear socks. I bet you are the same guys that wear socks with sandals... or wear socks to bed!!!

I have worn socks on a few occasions, mostly due to the cold. Once because I forgot to trim my toenails and there was nothing to use (this was at a community centre type gym) and being the weirdo with socks is far better than being the wolverine.

(c) The gym is cold.

(d) My feet are torn.

(e) Your post is the worst I have ever seen on this forum.

wearing socks is retarded, talk about getting zero friction on the mats with your feet

Wrestling shoes.

I think guys tht wear socks suck. Thats just another piece of sweaty, bacteria covered cloth that comes in contact with my skin. Id be Ok if I knew they were clean socks, but in my head, socks are only clean out of the bag!

I'm American so... socks are normal, the gi is weird.

When I replied, this thread was right over the "sweep the leg with weight on it" thread. I guess if he has socks on.

if have strong matburn on my feet i wear socks..

i dont think there would be more bacteria on socks than on bare feet in a bjj training class ^^

asked an instructor one time if i should wear socks, he said its dangerous and you could slip on the mats and twist your ankle. ill take his word for it

Spot the guys that wear socks. I bet you are the same guys that wear socks with sandals... or wear socks to bed!!!

Roman legionaries used to wear socks with sandals - I'm just continuing a great Roman tradition. Build a timemachine, go back to 100BCE and call them pussies, enjoy a gladius up your butt. :icon_lol:

I think grappling socks look tacky as hell but that being said I would have used one this morning during my nogi class because the mats were cold, my feet were freezing, and worst of all, my toes started to numb like it was becoming frost bitten.

Roman legionaries used to wear socks with sandals - I'm just continuing a great Roman tradition. Build a timemachine, go back to 100BCE and call them pussies, enjoy a gladius up your butt. :icon_lol:

Sorry but I must have missed the part where I called anyone a pussy.

Socks are WEIRD.

Anyone who says otherwise is also weird or a wuss. If you compete in MMA or BJJ comps, then you should NOT be wearing socks as you wont be allowed in competition.

I live and train in Florida so it's never cold enough to justify socks. I think it's really weird to see someone come in wearing socks and I find it distracting when I watch tech on YouTube and the guy is wearing socks.

People wear socks to let their feet heal. Their feet are all torn up or have mat burn on them. I guess you don't train enough to understand the annoyance of having your feet torn up or mat burn on your feet.

Sorry but I must have missed the part where I called anyone a pussy.

People wear socks to let their feet heal. Their feet are all torn up or have mat burn on them. I guess you don't train enough to understand the annoyance of having your feet torn up or mat burn on your feet.

I train hard enough so my feet adapt and are now made of sand paper and not tissue paper weakened by the moisture of my own tears.

In all seriousness. My feet don't cut up and never have. I wasn't aware the was a serious issue and I now have a new found respect for all you sock wearers.

Train hard. Fight wearing socks!

...Any thoughts on this? Does anyone know anyone with this issue? Anyone know any quality footwear made for grappling? with some grip on the bottom preferably?

What if you just said because of an ankle or toe injury or something you needed to wear wrestling shoes?

Mat burn yo.
I wear socks just to make people ask why I'm wearing socks. I tell them it helps me get extra grip.

I used to train in the Japanese alps. The only source of heat was a portable furnace kept far away from the mat.

The brazilians used to sit down and have meetings on where to buy the best socks for grappling.

Just sayin.

I think everyone should wear socks.
Grip socks
Less skin on skin contact and less foot warts

Anyone know any quality footwear made for grappling? with some grip on the bottom preferably?

ADPT2_G50524_1.jpg

I can't imagine non-grip regular socks aiding my grappling.. I just tape up my feet when they are burnt to shit.

I used to train in the Japanese alps. The only source of heat was a portable furnace kept far away from the mat.

The brazilians used to sit down and have meetings on where to buy the best socks for grappling.

Just sayin.
Hmm. Now there's some perspective.

We had this really odd guy try out a couple classes. He wore socks because he didn't want to 'catch something'. Glad he didn't stick around, so wierd and akward, like make national headlines for something terrible kind of weird.

I like to think the grip lost by wearing socks is sort of resistance training.

A newly minted black belt in our gym always trains in socks. He's about 5'8 215 pounds, and built like a brick shit house. He also used to fight MMA. You can look him up on FF, Marc Gervais.

I highly doubt he gives a rats ass about some forum nerd's opinion on rolling in socks.

Back