Wearing protective gear while rolling

I wear a cup and just started wearing a mouth guard after taking a knee to the face and biting my lip open

Rolling Gi I don't wear any protective equipment. Rolling No-Gi I will wear a mouthguard sometimes. Rolling mma mouthguard and cup sometimes headgear.

So would a simple boil and bite be good or should I look into something a little more expensive/properly fitted?

Opro pro impact custom guards. Teh Awesome.

OPRO Mouthguards -- The World's Favourite Mouthguard

I also use Asics gel kneepads. Kneepads are underrated for BJJ. No more knee getting banged up when drilling shooting/takedowns etc.

And yes, earguards (Brute Quad III), unless you don't mind cauliflower ear. I'll tell you what, most women recoil at cauliflower ear so if you're single, it's worth the investment.

Wear what makes you comfortable and allows you to train better, and don't worry about what others wear.

I personally wear one knee pad and headgear. I only use a mouthguard if I'm rolling with someone I've never rolled with before and he seems like he might be rough. I will sometimes wear two knee pads if its just on puzzle mats.

I wear a mouthguard. I love my teeth. Everything else is personal preference to me.

Wear what makes you comfortable and allows you to train better, and don't worry about what others wear.

I personally wear one knee pad and headgear. I only use a mouthguard if I'm rolling with someone I've never rolled with before and he seems like he might be rough. I will sometimes wear two knee pads if its just on puzzle mats.

Well it wasn't really me worrying about what others are wearing but more of a is there anything that while not required would be a good idea to invest in? I was mainly thinking mouthguard and headgar due to fucking up teeth and cauliflower ear and whether they would be good investments.

Sorry, I was kinda unclear in my first post.

You can get a custom from Customguards.com: Gladiator Pro for $50, and a $5 boil-n-bite to tide you over. I'm just using a cheap boil n bite and it works well enough for me. I'll get a custom for when I start competing.

Last class I ended up kneeing my partner in the face during scissor sweep drills. That pretty much sold him on wearing a mouthguard.

Here is the gear I wear:

Custom mouthpiece: Everyone needs one (at least a boil and bite if nothing else)

Knee pads: I have had meniscus surgery on both knees, so the knee pads reduce some of the repeated impact with the mat when I'm on my knees (guard, turtle, etc.) They won't hurt to wear, but I would consider these optional for most people.

Gear I don't wear but may be recommended for others:

Cup: I don't wear a cup because it interferes with techniques. They are illegal in IBJJF competitions. They also have the potential to get pushed out of place and smash your nuts badly. Without the cup, I rarely get hit in the groin, and the hits you take in grappling are usually pretty weak. It is not like Muay Thai where if you get kicked in the groin full power you could lose your testes. Most BJJ groin hits are in the walk it off territory. That being said, I'd never stop anyone from wearing a cup in training if they wanted to.

Headgear: I don't seem to be particularly susceptible to cauliflower so I don't wear it. However, for the people who do have problems, this is a very important piece of equipment.

Back