Wearing protective gear while rolling

Gregolian

.45 ACP
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Like mouthguards, headgear, and knee pads. How advisable is it?

I ask because a lot of guys at the place I go back home and while here at school use either one or all three of them during the essentially open mat rolling we do at the end of practice. Now me, I don't use any. Should I or is it more of a personal preference thing?

If you're practicing on simulating an MMA match its fine... Otherwise ear protection for some dudes is all they need. I personally wear a mouth guard always. Everything else is overkill.

I wear a cup, mouth guard, and headgear every roll, I'm not taking chances with my balls, teeth, or ears ... For Judo all that plus knee braces cause I have shit for knees, guess I'm overkill haha

I always wear knee pads , even under my gi , lately ear guards to , i don't wear a cup because it gives me more discomfort ( pushes in my thighs) than the protection it gives which is needed like 1 in every 30 trainings. And a mouthpiece ... well that's like wearing a helmet on a bike, personally i never heard of anyone in Bjj class getting teeth kicked in or something like that.

I wear a cup and mouthguard. I wear Some neoprene braces/kneepads for nogi because my knees feel pretty crappy after shooting and sprawling for 2 hours. I dont care if people think its overkill. I wear whatever allows me to train and be in the best shape physically possible when im done.

So, considering we do a mix of Judo takedowns (all of them, including attacking the legs) with the BJJ should I invest in at least a mouthguard?

only if you are afraid of getting your teeth knocked out. Ive taken some knees to the face. I could see myself losing teeth pretty easily, and Ive got a 10,000 dollar grill.

Listen to these guys. Cup and Mouth Piece is all you need.

Best boil and bite is the NIKE made by OPRO. It has little fins that melt and match your teeth perfectly. 9 bux... WAY WAY WAY better than shock doctor and shit.

9324601_w.jpg

They should call it the Phil Baroni cause its the BEST EVA!

Take it the Nike site probably has it right? I'll go take a look. Thanks.

eastbay has em. Or if you have one where your at, Academy outdoors. They will be in the football stuff, make sure to get the one with the fins. they have another one that looks the same but no fins and it sucks.

For me the nonnegotiables are mouthpiece, cup and rash guard. I always protect my teeth, and it keeps you used to the air intake it limits in training for a fight... Cup is a no brainer, from my first time I tried an armbar on someone without my cup on... was the last. And I've had staph that put me in the hospital and so a rash guard is a must have....

Mouthguard: Always bring, only really wear religiously during no gi.
Knee Brace: Always bring, wear only as I need them.
Compression Shorts/Spandex: Always wear them.

For me the nonnegotiables are mouthpiece, cup and rash guard. I always protect my teeth, and it keeps you used to the air intake it limits in training for a fight... Cup is a no brainer, from my first time I tried an armbar on someone without my cup on... was the last. And I've had staph that put me in the hospital and so a rash guard is a must have....

Agreed.

An optional item I keep in my bag is a set of headgear to wear when my ears get sore and are threatening to blow up, but they are probably not necessary unless you are susceptible.

Back