1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

wearing a womens gi?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by ohmalley, Jun 27, 2010.

1. ohmalley

ohmalley Blue Belt

alright, so i think the black women's atama mundial is pretty hot. big fan of the magenta embroidery on a black gi. i've been thinking about dropping a couple bills on it, but haven't yet because of the differences in sizing -- which i'm largely clueless on.

anybody have any experience with how the women's sizes equate to the men's? i'm an a1 in atama, 5'4" and 156lbs. pretty muscular, broad shoulders. tho i have short arms and legs. i'm thinking the womens sizing might actually work in my favor in that regard, but i'm also guessing they'll be cut a lot smaller across the shoulders and torso.

thoughts? any guys ever worn or tried on a women's kimono for whatever reason, who'd be willing to admit so openly? ;)

this is a long shot i know ...

2. risingD

risingD Guest

why don't you just buy the black mundial for men?

3. ohmalley

ohmalley Blue Belt

because red embroidery < hot pink.

4. BatBoyJG

BatBoyJG Brown Belt

OK, I've seen from a couple of you're post that you're pretty infatuated with the pink, so I would say go for it, umm I guess. Looking at the size chart would't you be a F-3

5. bragglefraggle

bragglefraggle Purple Belt

since its made to fit girls that size i would go a size up just in case

6. ManilaIce

ManilaIce Orange Belt

Let me know how your cross-dressing gi adventure goes - I'm also a pretty big fan of the hot pink / black combo :)

i was rocking cyborg's hot pink / black hitman fight gear tee last night haha

7. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

Pre WWII pink was regarded as a more masculine color than blue and therefore was given to new born boys.

It looks like the Nazi's fucked it up for you. Here's the full source:
    BTW, I looked at digsalot's profile and that person has some crazy in-depth answers... like neurotic and obsessed crazy...

8. risingD

risingD Guest

I would order the biggest size because you don't know how the cut is

9. Arkitekt

Arkitekt Green Belt

If I were in your shoes i'd contact Atama and explain your dilemma. I'm sure they get sizing questions all the time and as far as they have to know, you're a 5'4", 156lbs, pretty muscular, broad shouldered female that has comfortably worn mens A1.

10. risingD

risingD Guest

also thought that... hm could be so...

11. Heavyweight

Heavyweight Purple Belt

PM Fozzy. He wears a hot pink women's Atama.

12. risingD

risingD Guest

hasn't he just dyed his white atama gi into pink?

13. Arkitekt

Arkitekt Green Belt

In all seriousness, I always thought the Vulkan women's gi in Lilac looked kinda cool in the sense that its very unique. I look forward to hearing more about cross-dressing fits in this thread, maybe i'll pick up one of those if they have an A3 equivalent.

14. ftrnotlvr

ftrnotlvr White Belt

I think if there was a piece of ladies' gear I wanted to wear, I would go ahead and wear it, so long as it wasn't the groin protector (ouch) or beast protector.

15. ohmalley

ohmalley Blue Belt

there's a breast protector?!??!?? i'm imagining two oversized protective cups strung together with some elastic.

god help anybody who gets pinned under that thing!

seriously tho, i did pm fozzy (thanks for the tip!) and apparently the gi is in storage so he can't recall what size he got, but he was under the impression that the cuts weren't drastically different. i think if i just go by the measurements i should be alright.

i'll definitely keep y'all posted when i finally pick one up. i'm only wearing white gis for now -- colored gis are motivation for getting my blue belt, so when i do finally get it i'll likely be making multiple celebratory posts.

cheers!
    -kevin

16. Bathwater

Bathwater Let me clean you with my love

A girl at my gym was telling me about her women's gi and the pants were cut roomier in the hips. I think it was a mundial.

17. madizm2

madizm2 Brown Belt

that gi is the tits.....no pun intended

18. Arkitekt

Arkitekt Green Belt

For those of you manly men that like to wear the occasional pink, I ran across this gi company that makes gi's geared toward women but they do carry sizes A1-A3 for us avg/smaller-sized dudes.

The black/pink gi is interesting looking and they're all only $75 with a 'crystal weave' and rubberized collar. Pretty good bargain if you ask me.

FENOM KIMONOS ( POWERED BY SHE )

19. doomkitty

doomkitty White Belt

I have a black and white fenom gi. For some reason the sleeves on my black shortened up more then my white one. Very nice gi! Also, I think the differences in womens gis is the cut in the waist and hip area....not the chest. I highly recommend this gi to man or woman.:icon_chee

20. jackstraw424

jackstraw424 White Belt

haha good timing TS. Ive been thinking about getting a pink gi down the road and i havent seen a pink in male sizes yet haha. Deffinatly keep us updated so we can work out a mens sizes to womans sizes equation for future reference lol.