Wear and Tear vs Age?

I don't know, I don't fight.

I believe wear and tear when it pertains to 'head trauma' has a greater effect on an individual fighter through the years as opposed to age, though each play a factor in career longevity. The fighting style of each individual also plays a huge factor as well as the specific fighting art/sport that they are specializing in....For example, Randy Couture didn't start competing in MMA until UFC 13 when he was 33 years old. Did his body have plenty of 'wear and tear' through the years of amatuer wrestling.... yes. However, during his time competing in wrestling, he wasn't exposed to heavy force/trauma to the head. Thus making him a 'fresher' fighter at the age of 33 as compared to most 33 year old current MMA fighter's who have battled through intense boxing/muay thai sparring sessions while taking many blows to the head....

It depends on the individual. I prefer someone to start MMA later on. Say begin training at 25-28. Have train for about a year or more then have a pro fight. Of course you have your exceptions ala DC. Cormier made his debut at 30 years old which so happened to be Rashad's birthday. Lmao

If I were to fight (which I plan to try one day), I would start training before I turn 26 and have my first fight at 27-28. But that's a big IF.

DC was an Olympic level wrestler. You think he started training at 30 years old?

wear and tear makes you old.

It does. It's not the age it's the miles

It's not a black and white answer...A or B...it's both. The ratio of which has a greater effect, and how they affect the fighter over time. There is no formula that applies to all fighters alike, but one thing is for sure. Both take their toll. Nobody is invincible to damage. Nobody is able to stay young forever.

It's definitely wear and tear, it takes years to learn proper striking, wrestling and BJJ anyway, guys like Bones who are successful while young are rare

Bones is a rare specimen. He also was a wrestler, has gifted genetics, met the right people, and trains with one of the best teams/coaching staffs in the world.

Not every person who wants or dreams of fighting in the UFC will ever be able to achieve that goal. There is no yellow brick road. One thing is for sure, though. Without the hard work and dedication, you never will. Gifted or not. This will only get harder in the future, as people begin training at a younger and younger age. You will no longer have the opportunity to play catch-up if you decide to fight when you're 30 (unless you're someone highly skilled in one particular martial art, like DC).

Last edited:
DC was an Olympic level wrestler. You think he started training at 30 years old?

It's not a black and white answer...A or B...it's both. The ratio of which has a greater effect, and how they affect the fighter over time. There is no formula that applies to all fighters alike, but one thing is for sure. Both take their toll. Nobody is invincible to damage. Nobody is able to stay young forever.

Bones is a rare specimen. He also was a wrestler, has gifted genetics, met the right people, and trains with one of the best teams/coaching staffs in the world.

Not every person who wants or dreams of fighting in the UFC will ever be able to achieve that goal. There is no yellow brick road. One thing is for sure, though. Without the hard work and dedication, you never will. Gifted or not. This will only get harder in the future, as people begin training at a younger and younger age. You will no longer have the opportunity to play catch-up if you decide to fight when you're 30 (unless you're someone highly skilled in one particular martial art, like DC).
Did you not read what I posted correctly.I said DC made his debut, meaning MMA debut at 30. What you're saying towards my post is irrelevant to what I said. Good attempt at trying to hunt for flaws buddy, it looks good on ya.

guys who starts sparring and fighting late in the game seem much fresher then a young guy and 25 who has been fighting pro since 18...

But the type of fight effects as well....forrest Griffin style is only good for 6-8 years??

I hear what your saying, guys like Karo Parisyan and Joe Riggs started fighting in their teens and they look hell of alot older then other ppl who are in their early 30s.

Back