Wear and Tear vs Age?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Which is more detrimental to a fighter, wear and tear or taking the time to learn techniques but starting late in the fight game?

If I were to fight I'd start early and retire early.

If I were to fight I'd start early and retire early.

How early is early? Are we talking about starting in late teens to early 30s or starting in mid-20s and finishing in late 30s?

Well, age certainly isn't your friend; however, I feel better competition wise over 30 than when I was in my early 20s. I'm much more mindful of smart training habits and proper care of my body now. Some guys really do hit their primes later, look at Mike Pyle as an example. If you are a little older, don't feel like you aren't able to improve; however, athleticism is developed over years.

Well, age certainly isn't your friend; however, I feel better competition wise over 30 than when I was in my early 20s. I'm much more mindful of smart training habits and proper care of my body now. Some guys really do hit their primes later, look at Mike Pyle as an example. If you are a little older, don't feel like you aren't able to improve; however, athleticism is developed over years.

Amen to that!

I remember Joe Rogan saying in his podcast that it takes 4 or 5 serious years of proper strength and conditioning to develop a strong athletic body aside from working on martial art skills.

It depends on the individual. I prefer someone to start MMA later on. Say begin training at 25-28. Have train for about a year or more then have a pro fight. Of course you have your exceptions ala DC. Cormier made his debut at 30 years old which so happened to be Rashad's birthday. Lmao

If I were to fight (which I plan to try one day), I would start training before I turn 26 and have my first fight at 27-28. But that's a big IF.

Start training early, start fighting late.

Struve for example should take 2 years off fighting, do nothing bu train and come back as a dead set killer and still be 2 years younger than Carwin was when he had his first ever MMA fight.

Wear tear is worse for you than age.
Shogun and Nog are younger than to say Anderson.

It depends on the individual. I prefer someone to start MMA later on. Say begin training at 25-28. Have train for about a year or more then have a pro fight. Of course you have your exceptions ala DC. Cormier made his debut at 30 years old which so happened to be Rashad's birthday. Lmao

If I were to fight (which I plan to try one day), I would start training before I turn 26 and have my first fight at 27-28. But that's a big IF.

Start training now if you want to fight, no reason to put off the training.

look at people like machida, lombard, cormier etc, machida started young but only hit his prime in his 30s, as long as the body is able (in your 30s) experience will help a lot

aging in fighting comes from wear & tear. some get it later like Anderson, while they're still able to improve technically while staying physically sharp past 35.

others take beatings and/or need to work through injuries that make them look ancient even if they're pretty young, like Shogun.

guys who starts sparring and fighting late in the game seem much fresher then a young guy and 25 who has been fighting pro since 18...

But the type of fight effects as well....forrest Griffin style is only good for 6-8 years??

I'm pretty sure Nog is about 70.

Wear and tear. Just look at some of the old PRIDE fighters like Big Nog, Wand, Shogun, Fedor, CC, etc. Fighting a buttload times per year + having grueling matches ages you beyond your biological years.

It's definitely wear and tear, it takes years to learn proper striking, wrestling and BJJ anyway, guys like Bones who are successful while young are rare

Back