Weapons of choice

The reason I chose the butterfly swords were because I saw my instructor demonstrating the same philosophy with two machetes. He then said that this philosophy works with any weapon that is light enough to manipulate with one hand, ala Butterfly Swords.

Eskrima is not a system developed on stick fighting, we use sticks so we don't cut our partners limbs off!

:icon_lol:

Comte...

Like he said above, Eskrima isn't so much a stick fighting system as it is a way of learning how to utilise the striking surface of ANY short weapon. Anything where the edge is emphasized over the point works with it just as well as two rattan sticks. I knew a fella that swore on two 18 inch lengths of 000 copper cable double wrapped in electrical tape. He could carry them practically anywhere because they weren't considered weapons.

I love the aspects of escrima. I've been taking Kali/Silat for about 5 years now. It's probably my favorite of all arts. By far the most versatile I've ever done.

Where/who do you do/did your do you Silat training with. I've an old friend who is an English instructor at an international school in Indonesia, he's been doing Pukulan Pencak Silat for just about the entire time he's been there. We've met up a few times since he started and I like the techniques, I've been looking for a decent instructor somewhere in the UK or the States(I've a wife and kids these days so going to Indonesia for an extended period isn't in the cards).

Comte...

Like he said above, Eskrima isn't so much a stick fighting system as it is a way of learning how to utilise the striking surface of ANY short weapon. Anything where the edge is emphasized over the point works with it just as well as two rattan sticks. I knew a fella that swore on two 18 inch lengths of 000 copper cable double wrapped in electrical tape. He could carry them practically anywhere because they weren't considered weapons.

Where/who do you do/did your do you Silat training with. I've an old friend who is an English instructor at an international school in Indonesia, he's been doing Pukulan Pencak Silat for just about the entire time he's been there. We've met up a few times since he started and I like the techniques, I've been looking for a decent instructor somewhere in the UK or the States(I've a wife and kids these days so going to Indonesia for an extended period isn't in the cards).

Chris Caban of Atlanta Kali group.

Chris Caban of Atlanta Kali group.

Met him, around 3 years ago, he might remember me(not that I'm memorable), Kevin Kelly, aka the Mick Hick. Good guy.

Not quite what I am/was looking for.

I am a CQC/CQD and combat shooting instructor for LE and military personnel. I'm always looking to find something new and unexpected that works in a situation where one might be weighed down under the assortment of gear carried by today's front liners.

Met him, around 3 years ago, he might remember me(not that I'm memorable), Kevin Kelly, aka the Mick Hick. Good guy.

Not quite what I am/was looking for.

I am a CQC/CQD and combat shooting instructor for LE and military personnel. I'm always looking to find something new and unexpected that works in a situation where one might be weighed down under the assortment of gear carried by today's front liners.

Oh really? Do you ever train down here at Benning?

Melee- I train BJJ, I am my melee weapon

This is why people think us BJJers are douches...

I'll tell you right now that a pair of brass knuckles or a nice stun baton will put your ass out before you know what's coming, even after you've tied up they can still mash your skull in with the knucks or zap you in the nuts and break your jaw with the baton.

BJJ works...Steel works better.

I'll tell you right now that a pair of brass knuckles or a nice stun baton will put your ass out before you know what's coming, even after you've tied up they can still mash your skull in with the knucks or zap you in the nuts and break your jaw with the baton.

Especially, when that steel has an edge that will cut a limb clean off!

You do realize an AR-15 or an M9 Beretta trumps brass knuckles and a stun baton.

If a goon charges through a doorway at me, my rifle jams, my sidearm jams, his rifle jams, his sidearm jams, and assuming neither of us has a bayonet attached to the rifle and opted to just thrust or try for a horizontal/vertical butt-stroke, it will become HAND TO HAND, there's no fifteen second pause to get out a stun baton or to don brass knuckles. I'm not going to stand there, laugh about the situation, and then let him don brass knuckles. If there's time I'm going to be drawing a knife and advancing on him, if there's no time for the knife I'm just going to advance on him.

You never see soldiers going door-to-door wearing brass knuckles.

I guarantee you that nobody is ever going to be able to use brass knuckles against me in a SHTF/gang war/aliens/zombies/Soviets/Chinese/Red Dawn/etc context if they have a rifle. Maybe they'll forgo deploying a rifle so they can have brass knuckles and try to sneak up on me from behind me, but I would doubt that.

Also I'm reasonably confident in my ability NOT to be punched, even if you have brass knuckles it won't do you any good if you can't hit me.

A stun baton is limited in terms of angles of attack and it can only really be used in a thrusting manner, it is a very predictable weapon and easily countered.

If I have to fight with non-firearm weapons in close quarters I'll be using a combat knife in a reverse grip stance, because it is hard to counter, it is hard to effectively defend against, I can still punch with my right hand even though the knife is in my right hand, and I have several options for knife attacks be they slashing or thrusting based.

At any rate, with a rifle (and the bayonet) you can do multiple things in regards to melee...

Vertical butt-stroke, horizontal butt-stroke, slash, thrust, smash. A stun baton can't hold a candle against a rifle with a bayonet, or even a solid stock.

Last edited:
You do realize an AR-15 or an M9 Beretta trumps brass knuckles and a stun baton.

If a goon charges through a doorway at me, my rifle jams, my sidearm jams, his rifle jams, his sidearm jams, and assuming neither of us has a bayonet attached to the rifle and opted to just thrust or try for a horizontal/vertical butt-stroke, it will become HAND TO HAND, there's no fifteen second pause to get out a stun baton or to don brass knuckles. I'm not going to stand there, laugh about the situation, and then let him don brass knuckles. If there's time I'm going to be drawing a knife and advancing on him, if there's no time for the knife I'm just going to advance on him.

You never see soldiers going door-to-door wearing brass knuckles.

I guarantee you that nobody is ever going to be able to use brass knuckles against me in a SHTF/gang war/aliens/zombies/Soviets/Chinese/Red Dawn/etc context if they have a rifle. Maybe they'll forgo deploying a rifle so they can have brass knuckles and try to sneak up on me from behind me, but I would doubt that.

Also I'm reasonably confident in my ability NOT to be punched, even if you have brass knuckles it won't do you any good if you can't hit me.

A stun baton is limited in terms of angles of attack and it can only really be used in a thrusting manner, it is a very predictable weapon and easily countered.

If I have to fight with non-firearm weapons in close quarters I'll be using a combat knife in a reverse grip stance, because it is hard to counter, it is hard to effectively defend against, I can still punch with my right hand even though the knife is in my right hand, and I have several options for knife attacks be they slashing or thrusting based.

At any rate, with a rifle (and the bayonet) you can do multiple things in regards to melee...

Vertical butt-stroke, horizontal butt-stroke, slash, thrust, smash. A stun baton can't hold a candle against a rifle with a bayonet, or even a solid stock.

Let me refute your points in order.

1.The point was that you opted not to have anything as a melee weapon, assume you are out of ammo, you lost your sidearm...Whatever the fuck is happening I have my melee weapon and you don't.

3.A stun baton can be used as a small bat.

4.Again you don't have your combat knife for whatever reason.

5.I must agree that a rifle is an excellent melee weapon in itself, however it's only good at a very specific range and if you swing and miss I guarantee they'll be in close be in close before you can setup for another shot.

You may have noticed I skipped number 2. which was your claim that you were confident you wouldn't be hit. My argument towards that is, I'm sorry and I was wrong...I just didn't know THAT YOU ARE FUCKING NEO FROM THE MATRIX! I mean Jesus dude, even a good striker is probably gonna get hit once and with little to no striking experience you are on the same level as your average athletic Joe. If you take him to the ground he's gonna hit you at least once before you can set anything up. It takes one good solid shot to the jaw or temple with a pair of knucks to fracture your skull. Someone with brass knuckles on could easily crack ribs or crush muscle with one good hit.

All arguments aside, the idea was that it's better to have something just in case than rely on your skill alone, if you wanted to argue weight, what do your average pair of brass knuckles weight? a pound?

Long range: Barrett 98B .338 Lapua
28s24pv.jpg

short range: FN Five Seven
2uiup2w.jpg

melee: Machete

cutting edge: Something with a fixed, serrated tanto blade.

protection: Dragon skin

explosive: C4

Back