1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Weapon Maintenance

Discussion in 'Weapons and Tactics' started by Godfrd824, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Godfrd824

Godfrd824 Blue Belt

So, my father has a Taurus PT915, which he has never cleaned, I took of the upper receiver and it had huge ass dust bunnies in there, carbon, and sludge, so I took the rest of the weapon apart, and it was horrid, so I went to a gun shop here, and they tried to sell me some oil and a kit for an exuberant price, I asked them to clean up the barrel, and they did, then I went to the "Wallmart" here and bought a tooth brush, some alcohol, and some high temp wheel bearing grease, and I went to work.

I washed the upper receiver with soap and water, then dipped it in alcohol and let it evaporate a few times, afterwards, I took the toothbrush and with the alcohol I scrubbed every inch that I could of the lower receiver, then I let that evaporate, then I took the grease and lubed up all the contact points except for the firing pin. Finally I put some grease on my hands and rubbed the whole weapon, and polished it with a cloth, cleaned the magazine and gave the weapon back to my father, so I have one question, can I expect the weapon to not rust and fall apart?

[​IMG]

2. Byron Pechorin

Byron Pechorin Top Level Human

Should be fine but don't use alcohol next time.

3. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

You have never done it before? sure you put everything back in the correct place?

I still follow the manual when I do my shottie

4. markulous

markulous Black Belt

Agreed.

I'd of mostly just stuck with bore cleaner.

5. Godfrd824

Godfrd824 Blue Belt

The only handgun I've ever worked with was a Beretta 92F, anyways, I went through a function check and everything seems fine, the slide is smooth, the spring is strong, the safety doesn't budge at all, the only thing left would be to fire it.

Why should I not use alcohol?

6. corporateslave

corporateslave freedom

I have heard you are not supposed to use grease other than in certain spots on guns. I don't know why I just heard that. If you want to be cheap transmission fluid is an alternative to gun oils/lubes.

7. markulous

markulous Black Belt

I've heard that it can dry it out and can make some parts brittle over time. I'm not sure if that's true but I usually just stick with bore cleaner to be safe. Could just be something said by gun manufacturers to make money so you buy their products.

8. Striker22 redo

Striker22 redo Silver Belt

After I use mine, I usually drop it off a bridge into the ocean.

9. BloodMoney

BloodMoney Blue Belt

Better to sell it to the colorfully dressed gentlemen who drink on street corners.

10. Hankhill

Hankhill Brown Belt

Nice weapon.

There is a product called Break Free it is a synthetic lubricant used by the military.

Break-Free

11. CC's left foot

CC's left foot Silver Belt

no need to use soap or alcohol. All you need is a soft cloth, a can of PB Blaster, and a bore snake.

Go get the stuff, break down the weapon, spray it inside and out with PB blaster. Rub the parts with the cloth until clean/dry. Then spray the bore snake brush with PB Blaster and run it through the barrel a few times. Put it back together and you're done.

[​IMG]

12. Godfrd824

Godfrd824 Blue Belt

13. Tesp

Tesp See you Space Cowboy....

Dude this is easy peasy. If for some reason a weapon is dirty enough to have to wash it (sand ect) you just have to oil it real good. You more than likely didn't need to put this weapon in any kind of contact with water though. Gun oil, a stiff brush, and a patch kit will get any dirty weapon clean. Maybe a bit of break free. Don't make a habit of getting your guns wet. The only time I EVER did it was with an m16a2 when I got out of the field. That was one time out of a bunch of times I had to clean weapons in the military that I had to do that.

14. Godfrd824

Godfrd824 Blue Belt

I doubt It was gonna get clean with just oil, i don't even know how to put it, the barrel could barely be seen through. I tried the brush first, and it did nothing, and of course I won't make a habit of wetting it, I just gotta teach my father to keep the weapon maintained.

15. Tesp

Even so man a patch kit comes with a wire brush that screws on to the end of your cleaning rod (jebus that sounds ghey). You squirt a bunch of break free down the barrel and just go to town. Most of that is just carbon buildup anyways and it will come right off. So basically step by step: Take the weapon apart. Clean all smaller parts(it's what I start with anyways) and set them aside SO YOU DON'T LOSE ANYTHING (I've done it before) Then you do the barrel. And last but not least you do the wood on the grip (if there is any). If you don't oil your grip and it's wood breakfree might eat it up and make it look like shit. What you are looking for on a clean barrel is pretty simple. You want to be able to run a patch through it when you are finished and there should be no black (carbon). Assemble the weapon, and wipe it down with a cloth that has gun oil on it(and not your fucking wooden handgrips if that is what they are). Don't let any metal stay dry it should have a light coat of oil. Also you should clean your weapon before (light clean, run a oiled patch through barrel) and after (heavy clean) you shoot it. Don't wait just do it.

Hope some of this helps.

Ps: Like I said there is no reason to get a pistol wet. When I did it these weapons had shit all in them and our platoon sgts just wanted the shit done fast. I'd never do it with a personel weapon of mine.

16. Tesp

Also if you think cleaning a dirty weapon weapon sucks try doing it to m240 golf with a lazy a gunner.

17. Godfrd824

Godfrd824 Blue Belt

I've done maintenance on crew served weapons before, as a 92Y you go through a two week armory class in AIT, eventually I'll buy a kit, but for now, it will have to do, it's crazy to pay 25 dollars for an ounce of oil.

18. Tesp

Wait what? Shop around for that stuff man, look online at least. I know what you mean on csw's though. Fucking hate cleaning those things.

19. JasonDecker****

JasonDecker**** Banned Banned

Yes gun oil will do that. I echo those who recommend Break Free I've been using it for years.

20. pittelp

pittelp Smokin Joe belt winner

I would pay a licensed gunsmith to examine it for safety, because he/she may notice something that you did not see.