Wealth of the Gracies?

Rich, aristocratic family even before they blew up.

Actually, no. One of the reasons Carlos started teaching Jiu-Jitsu is because the family needed the money. They had some setbacks. And not every Gracie is rolling in dough.

Need pictures of Renzo's house.

I live a few minutes away from Renzo's house, it is actually very nice and big, they did a feature on it in the community magazine cuz its so nice (indoor and outdoor pics)

If i find that magazine I will upload the photos

Last edited:
I know it varies from Gracie to Gracie, but it made me curious when I saw the main page story about Ralph offering Roy Jones Junior 1million per minute to fight him. Ofcourse I don't believe that he would have actually paid him that much, it did make me wonder how much cash the family really has.

Anyone have any real knowledge of this?

Ralph does not have a million dollars to give to RJJ. He just said that

Televise the fight. $5million+ revenue. Finish Roy in under 2 mins.

You don't need pre-existing finances for that.

Gracie Barra schools tend to be costly so I'd expect them to make good coin.

What's your basis for that? I haven't found them to be more expensive than other schools in any given area.

It's a huge family, so it completely depends on the individual. If you're talking about historically, they owned land and were moderately wealthy, but I don't think they were rich. Today the ones who have been more successful at teaching, competing, fighting, etc. are the more wealthy ones. Royce does well giving seminars around the world. Rickson made some good money from his fighting days and is probably getting by on teaching nowadays. Royler also has a lot of students, so that's supporting him (although I doubt he's that wealthy from it). Renzo does pretty damn well from what I hear, since he's got an enormous student base in Manhattan, and a ton of affiliate schools around the tri-state area. And Carlinhos runs both Gracie Barra and the IBJJF, so that speaks for itself.

As for the other 100 or so Gracies, I'd say they probably make enough to get by on teaching, but are not by any means wealthy.

What's your basis for that? I haven't found them to be more expensive than other schools in any given area.

It's a huge family, so it completely depends on the individual. If you're talking about historically, they owned land and were moderately wealthy, but I don't think they were rich. Today the ones who have been more successful at teaching, competing, fighting, etc. are the more wealthy ones. Royce does well giving seminars around the world. Rickson made some good money from his fighting days and is probably getting by on teaching nowadays. Royler also has a lot of students, so that's supporting him (although I doubt he's that wealthy from it). Renzo does pretty damn well from what I hear, since he's got an enormous student base in Manhattan, and a ton of affiliate schools around the tri-state area. And Carlinhos runs both Gracie Barra and the IBJJF, so that speaks for itself.

As for the other 100 or so Gracies, I'd say they probably make enough to get by on teaching, but are not by any means wealthy.

Wow, nice post!

You guys needs to think BIG like Rener and Ryron:
Gracie University Online:
Enrollment: 35,455 Students from 171 Countries.

Ever since I hear about them I wonder how rich they are. And when I see all those overpriced products which have only a gracie logo on them, and the people buying it, Im sure they must be rich as hell.

I know it varies from Gracie to Gracie, but it made me curious when I saw the main page story about Ralph offering Roy Jones Junior 1million per minute to fight him. Ofcourse I don't believe that he would have actually paid him that much, it did make me wonder how much cash the family really has.

Anyone have any real knowledge of this?

That was a boast. If anyone in the family had money like that, it wasn't Ralph.

The family had land in Brazil, but as far as actual money coming in, they weren't exceptionally wealthy by any means. But at the same time they were by no means poor.

Renzo got a nice house.

Renzo's got a freakin elevator in his house (or so I've been told).

But that's not family money, that is money Renzo made himself. He came to NY in 1993 and was teaching a few students out of a studio that he shared. He wasn't even in the US all year. Then over time his base grew, he switched academy locations a few times, until he ended up where he is today. The academy used to just be in the basement, but recently they expanded to include the ground floor. Renzo has over 1000 students at his main academy, and has 2 branches (NJ and CT), and tons of affiliates (like where I train).

What I'm saying is that Renzo made his money himself, and earned his reputation by fighting and training champions. Nobody handed it to him.

You guys needs to think BIG like Rener and Ryron:

Gracie University Online:
Enrollment: 35,455 Students from 171 Countries.

IIRC, that figure on the website is very misleading, as it includes all the people who registered for free (which was a lot of people, as you have to register to see the content).

I would assume the number of people actually paying for the full program and studying the material is significantly lower.

They're wealthy, but I'd bet they're also skinflints. I'm just basing that on their Scottish heritage :)

IIRC, that figure on the website is very misleading, as it includes all the people who registered for free (which was a lot of people, as you have to register to see the content).

I would assume the number of people actually paying for the full program and studying the material is significantly lower.

Exactly...

That

Renzo's got a freakin elevator in his house (or so I've been told).

But that's not family money, that is money Renzo made himself. He came to NY in 1993 and was teaching a few students out of a studio that he shared. He wasn't even in the US all year. Then over time his base grew, he switched academy locations a few times, until he ended up where he is today. The academy used to just be in the basement, but recently they expanded to include the ground floor. Renzo has over 1000 students at his main academy, and has 2 branches (NJ and CT), and tons of affiliates (like where I train).

What I'm saying is that Renzo made his money himself, and earned his reputation by fighting and training champions. Nobody handed it to him.

the invisible hand handed it to him. if it wasn't for royce gracie growing the gracie name fame i guarantee you renzo wouldn't fucking be the rich bastard that he is now.

Back