1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Wealth Gap Increasing Among Millenials, Possibly Most Unequal Generation in History

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Orgasmo, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Orgasmo

Orgasmo Red Belt

Two trends are emerging in recent years. In short, 1 in 6 millennial actually have more than $100k in savings and investments, which is quite impressive. On the opposite end, number of millennial without any savings are increasing. Even in older millennial group (25 to 34), about 4/5 has less than $10k in savings.

[​IMG]
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/09/a-g...illennials-have-absolutely-nothing-saved.html

There is growing evidence that millennial will be the most unequal generation than all previous ones.

https://qz.com/1130126/millennials-...vious-generations-according-to-credit-suisse/

What do you think the implication of this has on society in a decade?

2. BisexualMMA

BisexualMMA Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!

Yeah but these stats don't really factor in likes and retweets, now do they?

3. bushman505

bushman505 Silver Belt

I don’t care about millennials.

I’m not one and I have more than 100k in savings after losing most of what I had and getting set far back in the 2008 recession.

4. Kaybee

Kaybee Arianator Belt

Well you are putting people straight out of college making absolutely nothing and people well into their thirties hopefully settled into their career both in the same category.

Not saying there isn’t a massive wealth gap in America or anything, but this info seems misleading

5. Orgasmo

Orgasmo Red Belt

Did you not actually read the report? They're using older millenials (25 to 34) as the backdrop measure, not kids fresh out of college. Even among older millenials, 80% has less than $10k saved.

wolfgangkrauser and Jackie Blue like this.
  6. Jackie Blue

Jackie Blue Silver Belt

It's not surprising in this technocrat society. Those that are graduating from elite universities, especially in STEM fields, are benefiting. The rest are falling behind.

7. Kaybee

Kaybee Arianator Belt

Yes, I did see 25, which is still a big difference from 35.

So what, you work a few years full time; that isn’t going to be enough time to reasonably save up as much money as someone who is almost middle aged. And many of the better paying careers like medical and law require additional education, so it isn’t unreasonable to think that a 25 year-old is fresh out if school or even still in school (and thus broke as hell)

TheWorm and Jackie Blue like this.
  8. Midnighter

Midnighter Silver Belt

This will probably impact everyone somehow, unless you're gonna die soon.

RIP

lsa and Satanical Eve like this.
  9. bushman505

bushman505 Silver Belt

Maybe but as a 38 year old whonhas a well established career, savings and dual incomes (married, wife is on the medical field), own a few properties free and clear, zero debt, I’m not too worried.

gonads20 likes this.
  10. Midnighter

Midnighter Silver Belt

I'm moreso talking about when you're 58 and the time to recoup loses is nearly gone, if not entirely, but yea.

11. bushman505

bushman505 Silver Belt

Perhaps. And you are right losing it all at 58 would be brutal, I know a few guys like that.

12. MeWithInfinityGauntlet

MeWithInfinityGauntlet Banned Banned

This isn't really all that concerning.

The big issue is that robots and Algorithms are going to replace most jobs in the next 30 years or so. There will be new jobs created, but these jobs will require substantially higher levels of intelligence than most of the current jobs. Which isn't good for most of the people who aren't me considering that it's arguable that most average joes are actually getting dumber thanks to the welfare state.

Jackie Blue likes this.
  13. snootylol

snootylol Green Belt

Does it matter? I keep hearing the gap between Rich and poor is growing... but a poor person in 2018 is far better off then someone in say 2000 imo..

I grew up in a middle class family but back 15-20 years or so ago.. the internet was garbage and dial up.. you had no amazon at the touch of your fingers to order anything.. Now you have far more options.

Reyesnuthugr and gonads20 like this.
  14. Big Tuppy Hole

Big Tuppy Hole Gold Belt

Ive never considered myself a millennial but according to that graph I am.

15. Starck

Starck Black Belt

No opinions. I've gone from a low end millennial to a high end millennial in the last several years, judging by the data.

Jackie Blue likes this.
  16. sloppypie

sloppypie Purple Belt

Massive wealth disparity is the inevitable result of unchecked capitalism. A strong middle class is actually an abnormality unless there’s a major catastrophe that shifts immense bargaining power to workers, like world war 2 or the bubonic plague.

Otherwise capitalism needs severe regulations, of which the United States has rapidly destroyed since the 80s. So none of this is surprising in the slightest and completely expected to anyone who has been paying attention the last few decades.

But that’s not even the worst part. We are returning to an economic time more akin to the turn of the 20th century. No social safety nets, no health care, no benefits, low wages, high rent, and no workers rights. Our response to globalism, rather than shift to say a European model, is to return to our old third world approach. Because the United States is actually partially third world in many parts, where people don’t even have running water or sewers. We will try to compete with places like China by becoming more like them, and that’s a bad thing for quality of life.

But hey, people voted for it, and most people don’t even vote. When the crashes ands catastrophes come, and they will, it’s going to be hard to talk to my moron friends and family who never vote when they ask me who we have to blame for all of this. It’s you stupid, you let monsters take power, and this is the result. So suck it up and put that fucking eggo waffle hamburger sundae down bc you can’t afford health care any more stupid.

17. tru3f4n

tru3f4n Red Belt

Wait so it isn't normal to have 10k+ in your bank all the time?

18. MeWithInfinityGauntlet

MeWithInfinityGauntlet Banned Banned

A welfare state creates a lower genetic quality of humanity and then pays them even more to pop out even more kids.

Moreover, the kids they pump out are barely even smart enough to do jobs now, in 20 years those people and their offspring won't be able to do ANY of the jobs.

Reyesnuthugr and WandySaku2 like this.
  19. Starck

Starck Black Belt

Would be curious to see the stats on assets as a whole rather than just focusing on savings accounts.

usmctanker242 likes this.
  20. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Heart of a Lion

I’ve done well for the decade after high school with a good job until I got laid off. Now I feel as if I’m back to square one.