We will never see a top level boxer in mma and here's why.

99Silva

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
1. A guy like mayweather or klitscko in one fight makes more than the entire roster combined in a given year.
2. guys like those already mentioned complain about not enough padding. mma gloves are made to be small so that you will be able to use your hands to grapple.
3.It's already too late for them to join. They'll be considered a beginner and it's pretty much a career change. If you're already successful in the career you are at why leave.

All pretty much common sense here. There's just no reason for any genuinely top level boxer to come to MMA.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. Describes

The Mayweather family is celebrating the New Year with that special kind of the love. For the last few years, trainer Floyd Mayweather Sr., and pound-for-pound champion Floyd Mayweather Jr., have carried on a public feud in the media and on television. The ill feelings between father and son were the main focus of HBO's De La Hoya-Mayweather 24/7 mini-series.

In a recent interview with Percy Crawford of FightHype, Mayweather Sr. blasted his son over a possible move to mixed-martial-arts. Several weeks ago, Floyd Jr. met with Mark Cuban of HDNet Fights, discussing a possible debut in MMA. Several key figures in boxing and MMA have spoken out against the move.

Mayweather says that his son will end up like former champion Vince Phillips, who took a beating in the MMA ranks.

"He needs to leave that sh*t alone. He’s going to get the same f*cking thing Vince Phillips got; leg broke, arm broke or whatever. Vince Phillips got his arm broke. You can’t mess with that…that’s what they do. You can’t beat nobody at their own game," Mayweather Sr. said. "All of this he talking about right now, this martial arts sh*t, I’m telling you, he about to get broke the f*ck up right now. I’m telling you, he could forget all of that stuff being cute and how you supposed to hit somebody with a check hook. Man, them motherf*cker’s going to take that check hook motherf*cker and squeeze your guts out."

Forget a possible retirement. According to Floyd Sr., his son will definitely retire after testing the MMA waters. He doesn't feel that any of Floyd's skills as a boxer will help him in the world of MMA.

"He ain’t got to worry about retiring. When they get through with his ass, he will be retired. He will be retired f*cking with them motherf*ckers. They would love to fight him. This ain’t no f*cking boxing; ain’t none of these motherf*ckers scared of his ass. I’ll fight one of them motherf*ckers if they just want to throw their guards up. I’m old and I’ll beat they ass, but when they start talking about that going to the ground, elbows and knees and all of that, man f*ck that sh*t. I ain’t about to go in there. Them motherf*ckers dangerous man. One thing about it, them guys can take a f*cking punch man. Those guys will laugh at Lil Floyd when he hit them."

Does it have to be Mayweather for it to count as top boxer? Mayorga was a "top boxer". I believe his record now sits at 0-3-1...

Boxers don't transition to MMA because its a different sport.

it's cliche, but...

no fu*$&n sh!t sherlock

All pretty much common sense here. There's just no reason for any genuinely top level boxer to come to MMA.

MAYBE a young top 10ish guy could transition, but that is it. ANyone making any money won't bother, unless they're nuts

well there you, another 99silva thread

You cant get that top level boxing skill when also working wrestling, submissions, thaiboxing etc. No one will ever have hands like that in MMA. And top level boxers in MMA are useless, any C level fighters with any ground game can take them down and just submit them. I dont understand why anyone even would want to see shitty fights like this, like Toney vs Couture for example.

1. A guy like mayweather or klitscko in one fight makes more than the entire roster combined in a given year.

Not true, but Mayweather is close to it. I think the UFC roster makes around 60 million per year last time I checked.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. Describes

this
and i dont think i would like to see high level boxer in MMA as well. they will most likely to be taken to the ground easily and if they ever learn grappling, it will one of those fight where one fighter is trying to take it the ground and the high level boxer trying desperately to keep it standing. its will be boring as fuck

but what i would love to see is high level sanshou fighter like Guang wan, Xu Yan, Folayang, Honorio, or many others. to transition to MMA ( which most of them already are) they already excellent at Striking and Takedown ( better tham 99% of mma fighter) they only need to learn the sub part to able to excel at MMA.

I could see it maybe in a few years,a guy who is a top boxer but has liked mma since a kid and cross trained a little,but you wont get a boxer in there prime transition over as the top boxers get paid more.if top mma guys got paid more you would probably see some try it but not on the current pay scale they wont

What is the story behind the Vince Phillips guy that Mayweather Sr mentions?

2. guys like those already mentioned complain about not enough padding. mma gloves are made to be small so that you will be able to use your hands to grapple.
3.It's already too late for them to join. They'll be considered a beginner and it's pretty much a career change. If you're already successful in the career you are at why leave.

1. untrue. check your math homie, that's not possible. If every fighter got paid the minimum $8K and nothing for winning you're already at almost $20M.

Not true, but Mayweather is close to it. I think the UFC roster makes around 60 million per year last time I checked.

The Floyd Mayweather-Canelo Alvarez fight did 2.2 million PPV buys. After all was said and done Floyd made well over $70 million for that one fight.

Don't forget, Mayweather has a deal unlike any other boxer on the planet. He gets a cut of everything in regards to a fight. PPV buys, live gate, t-shirt sales, even hot dogs, beer and other concessions. If it's sold at one of his fights he gets a cut. Of course this type of deal carries more risk for him, but he still comes out much farther ahead than any other fighter. It's a unique business structure for an athlete/fighter but man does it make him serious money.

Back