1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

We should cherish Francis Ngannou while he’s the champion.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Young Calf Kick, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Young Calf Kick Green Belt

I fucking love Ngannou for exposing those shady cunts in the UFC while he’s a champion. He called them out on the fighter pay thing earlier this year, and now he’s exposed them for their shady way of doing business.

I don’t think many people truly realise what absolutely insane path this man has walked in life. I can’t really think of a better rags to riches story. Ngannou went from extreme poverty to a man that has it all while keeping his humble values. He’s doing pretty good business wise and, as he literally crawled out from the gutter, knows the value of money. I think financially he’s already set for life by his own standards.

And thus he’s comfortable calling out the UFC on their bullshit. Anyone that wishes for the UFC treating fighters more fairly should cherish him while he’s the champion, as he is the one who could potentially start moving things into a different direction.

Apart from that, he seems to be a gentle giant, and a fighter that delivers what most of us are primarily here to see: violently sending his opponents to the shadow realm.

2. Get To Da Choppa Black Belt

This man is also must watch whenever he fights. With the exception of one bad fight, all his fights are violent and entertaining. That's a good thing to have in a HW champ

He's also being outspoken because he will always have a job at Johnny Legends Mitsubishi to fall back on

3. Bork Neslar Black Belt

4. Brutus....... Orange Belt

He really could be a UFC marketing dream. But Dana prefers his wife, and old man beaters.

5. Sweater of AV Gold Belt

Win or lose, hopefully Frank KO's Dana after the Gane fight.

6. Boxingfan998 Yellow Card Yellow Card

It's funny how people simultaneously praise his "rags to riches" story and blame the UFC/Dana White, when this guy would be nowhere without the UFC/dana White sponsoring his ass to fight and train in the organisation and the US. It's just capitalism at the end of the day. With winners & losers.

7. Boxingfan998 Yellow Card Yellow Card

PS: I don't think this guy deserves more money. He's a fighter not a teacher or nurse.

8. Steve-French What A Rush!!!

Why does everybody get so riled up about fighter pay? Stop wallet watching and enjoy the fights. If these guys don't feel like they are getting paid enough they can always go do something else. Nobody is forcing them to fight.

There are only a select few boxers that get those huge pay days and they draw huge crowds. Conor put's asses in the seats and he was paid more money than every boxer not named Floyd Mayweather he was at the top of his game.

The UFC is also owned by WME, who are in the process of paying of a 4 billion dollar loan from purchasing the UFC right now. Every body loves to blame Dana, but he's not the end all be all of who's in charge. He only owns 8% IIRC.

The UFC also has a better middle class than any other combat sport. I would like to see the fighters get paid more too, but a lot of you don't understand economics. Plus another person's wage is none of my business.

9. Substance Abuse n00b moderator Staff Member Forum Moderator

So we've got thread number 1,269,835 about fighter pay?

<5>

10. Huligani Number One Bullshit

I like Francis but I want to welcome the Gane era. Hopefully it goes better than the Machida era.

11. iwantgsp Orange Belt

lmao what is this thread lol

dude, do you know that Dana made Francis into a champ?
    40-year old Stipe, with 30lbs+ weight disadvantage, at APEX cage lmao

Two 6'4" giants fighting at a small cage... and it was even a championship.... lol

Dana tailor made this match for Francis to win. Dana waited until Stipe gets war torn. His last 4 fights before Frank 2 was Frank-DC-DC-DC.
    Then Dana threw old, war torn Stipe to the dangerous Francis.

Yup, Dana made Francis a champ.

And you know, Frank cried how he was never hurt at that second fight vs Stipe.
    Francis said
    "I would fight Jones at July"
    himself.

So dana gave him vs Lewis 2 at the end of August.
    All of a sudden Francis was hurt and need to heal up.... lmao

Dude, Francis is the biggest shame of the HW. He cried about Stipe not being active, ignoring the fact that he got his eyes injured badly and needed a surgery. And he proceeds to be an inactive champ himself, even without any injuries.

He doesn't even care about his legacy, he is not interest in fighting but in making money while he has never defended his belt. He doesn't even want to make a revenge to Lewis, who was a rightful title challenger. Instead he went to twitter and begged to boxers for money.

Shame.

12. Doughie99 Silver Belt

Then how do you explain his statement below : (quote)
    Ngannou : “What doesn’t work for me, because I don’t feel protected in those terms — in the past two years I fought twice and I have to borrow money to live."
    (from mmafighting.com article).

I did some checking and :
    - his reported salary (show / win / bonus / sponsor money) for UFC 260 was US$580,000
    - his reported salary (show / win / bonus sponsor etc) for UFC 249 was US$320,000
    So that's US$900,000 for those 2 fights.
    Assuming the reported numbers are accurate as per https://mmasalaries.com/ufc-260-salaries-and-payouts/ etc)

Why would an unmarried, no children, man who has earned (pre-tax) close to US$1million in UFC direct payments just from 2 fights, probably plus a lot of other personal sponsorship money, be saying "I have to borrow money to live". It absolutely does not add up.
    He is already rich but yet he has absolutely made a statement there that he had to borrow money to live in the last 2 years.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    Pancake Sprawl, Gamer2k4 and Krixes like this.
  13. Bork Neslar Black Belt

Let's face it, he'd be nothing without the UFC.

14. koquerelle Silver Belt

What a naïve take. Hope you're not older than 17.

15. Young Calf Kick Green Belt

It’s funny how people on the internet can’t compartmentalize different situations in way they can both praise Dana White for taking a business risk (which, by the way, happens all the time) and simultaneously criticize him for being a greedy cunt.

Dana White along with the Fertitta’s saved the UFC literally 20 years ago. Great, kudos to him. But it’s almost 2022. This act alone does not render him free for criticism for the rest of his career.

16. CatchtheseHands The Fade Giver

Can you even call this the Francis Ngannou era? He just got the belt and will not defend it until almost a year after he won it. I like Francis, but he needs to be active otherwise how is it an era? When I think of an era I think of the old days when champs would defend their belt multiple times a year.

Isa likes this.
  17. Portland8242 Black Belt

He'd be a pretty big Bellator star I guess

18. Young Calf Kick Green Belt

Interesting.

It could be that I’m wrong although I’m not sure what to think.

For starters, I don’t think that he’s broke. It could very well be the case that he’s funneling too much of his income out to the people around him, this is often the case with Africans arising from poverty. They want to give back to their surroundings but it attracts a lot of leeches. Or I could be completely wrong and he’s just another case of Wesley Snipes Syndrome... not knowing how to manage sudden big wealth increases claim a lot of casualties too.

I wouldn’t put it past him to thicken the narrative a little to generate more media attention either though.

19. Mulletenthusiast Orange Belt

I think they deserve, man. Just because of the CTE - francis don't get much damage, thought - that those fighters are willing to receive.

20. Young Calf Kick Green Belt

Yes. Whatchu gonna do Sherbro? Merge my thread?

<{UberTS}>