Media We need to stop pretending like Romero isn't going to slam and batter Adesanya

Romero is no Brunson

OptimisticCooperativeAmmonite-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_nqn1d0EJWI1rofocqo1_500.gif

Interesting but I see it going a bit more like this

Losing two fights in a row somewhat soils the Soldier of God's aura of invincibility.

Interesting but I see it going a bit more like this

Whittaker is a dope ass wrestler though. He doesn't have credentials but he actually actively participates in the sport. Weird and impressive that he was able to shut down the wrestling.

I agree he hasn't really been tested in the grappling dept, but this is a 5 round fight. Yoel is 43 he can't wrestle for 5 rounds.
Absolutely. But does he need 5 rounds to ground and pound Israel? Why does he need 5 rounds for that? Rmemeber what he did to lyoto?

Absolutely. But does he need 5 rounds to ground and pound Israel? Why does he need 5 rounds for that? Rmemeber what he did to lyoto?
Being able to get Israel down isn't a guarantee. Just because he hasn't been tested yet doesn't mean he will automatically get taken down. Maybe we'll get an insight into how complete of a fighter Israel is. On the feet Yoel is outgunned.

Easy money to be made on Adesanya. 43 yo Yoel is no realistic threat to Izzy.

israwl will be a big favorite for those reasons obviously.
Romero has the luxury of trying to make a fight like that. He’s very durable has the wrestling credentials. I expect a different gameplan than normal from Yoel.
but even if he implements that I can’t see him being able to do that for 5 rounds.

it will be a fun fight regardless. Yoel is tough as nails but he’s old as fuxk and I would never bet on a 43 year old in a fight.

I guess I see this differently. I think people get too blinded by the credentials and don't actually look at what he actually he does in fights. Yes, Yoel was silver medalist Olympic wrestler but MMA has never really used his wrestling much at all. Paulo Costa was able defend against Romero's takedowns and pop up to his feet against Romero.

Yoel is power punch who occasionally shoots for a take down. I think it's far more likely that he land KO punch on Style Bender than a him taking down and keeping down long enough to do anything.

Also, Yoel never really gameplans. He strategy is always the same, land the KO blow. Super effective but not exactly complex.

On the other hand, if there is one thing that Israel has trained for more than anything since his transition into MMA it is his TDD. He is the number 2 all time leader in the middle-weight division when it comes to TDD at 85.7%.

I think guy's like Colby or Usman who spam takedowns and chain wrestle. Would be nightmare match ups for Izzy. But Yoel isn't that guy. He probably has better shot throwing bombs and hoping one lands.

i heard a conspiracy theory that the only reason israel wanted to fight yoel is because he wants to get kissed by him.

"We" do? Speak for yourself TS. I still favor Izzy in this, even if Romero is a live dog in this fight too. Brunson, Whittaker, Gastelum, and Costa were supposed to ground Izzy and it didn't happen. MAYBE Yoel's higher level wrestling can get Izzy down, but so far it hasn't happened. "We" have seen Izzy stop the takedown.

Those elbows were so damn fast. Love to see Yoel get that strap.

I know that is what Romero has done for awhile now, since the Weidman fight that I can recall. Cruising rounds 1+ to save his gas tank. I just don't think that's the right play against Izzy. The champ isn't going to gas, and Romero is. Romero is not going to win a decision here, or it will be very unlikely. I believe his avenue to victory is dominating wrestling early and knocking Izzy out, why let him gauge distance and see movement for a round or two? Just floor it out the gate, die on your shield if need be. I think that is the ideal game plan for Romero.

And in terms of his body/condition...well he's obviously on steroids. So there's that. And he looks great right now a few weeks out, so I don't think he's magically just going to become washed. He's definitely on PEDs...I mean it's obvious. How many 43 year olds have you seen that are that built and lean? That look "hard" with androgen levels. Generally when men get older even if they are in good shape they will have a saggy or softer look.

Look at Randy Couture for example, and he was confirmed on PEDs/Steroids. The only example I can think of is Herschel Walker who was most likely on steroids as well (only did push ups and sit ups...yeah fuck off Herschel).
U honestly believe izzy wasnt on anything in the past during his kickboxing run?

Eventually, Yoel will look old. This may very well be the fight.

Jarl

I think Izzy pieces him up and finishes him inside 3 rounds. He looks better each fight and is incredibly sharp. Yoel is no spring chicken, Bobby left half his face drooping.

Back