Sambo thread!

Ok, but how about back then? Did they have the same weight?
To clarify this poster is asking if the titles from both associations were equally as aclaimed, prestigious, respected in the time that they both existed?

Iván is a 4x time world champion.
He's got some of the best leg locks ever. Specially knee bars, that he can hit from any and all positions.
He has a youtube channel, sila parterra, I suggest you check it out.
Pretty good channel !!!!
Just joined Sherdog. And only joined because of this forum. As someone who has trained Judo (20+ years) and BJJ (10+) I have found Sambo to really be the most complete grappling art.

If they added chokes to Sport Sambo I would probably dedicated even more time to it. I know it was mentioned earlier that Sport Sambo was experimenting with some rule changes but I don’t think chokes will be added any time soon (I might be wrong).

IMO Judo has become so watered down over the years - too many rules and penalties. And way too many techniques getting banned. BJJ is becoming too focused on sport rules then self defense. Which in both cases I understand -schools are going to teach what wins in competitions.

If someone asked me which art to learn for self defense I would tell them Sambo. I only started training Sambo over the last 2 years but it feels more like old school Judo and really what Judo was meant to be. I still appreciate the technical throws of Judo and the ground finesse of BJJ but if you want to end a real fight quickly Sambo is the way to go.

Just an old man’s opinion.

Still training at 45
I only did Sambo for a month but I loved it, I did mostly sport one while I learnt some self defense moves comparing the three I feel Sambo is more balanced and most of my judo game and basic BJJ guard could be used.
Sadly is not popular here and I train in a great BJJ academy and judo school, both in the same place but leaving self defense aside Sambo is very balanced as I said.
As a lanky 21 year old who has some bjj experience from a few years ago, what do you think is a better option: A good judo school + mediocre but basically free bjj training through my university or Attending a good Bjj school?

Also what should my workout regiment be looking like?
What are our goals ???
Many BJJ places are not mediocre, just not too focused and killing it in competition. If I were a poor student would take the first option.

has any other sambo trained fighter noticed how body parts are being pinned a lot more in the ufc that is from sambo at least in my school sure other arts use this too

Sambo as a martial arts is good. Combat sambo is even better and closest to mma.

Sadly not enough sambo schools in the states.

SAMBO in the us blows at least here in the midwest. It is mainly judo with a tiny bit of wrestling. I trained for a year in chicago and the sambo teachers sucked. Only good instructor had a brown belt in judo and a purple belt in 10th planet and no sambo background. Oh yeah and combat sambo is not legal in the us.

SAMBO in the us blows at least here in the midwest. It is mainly judo with a tiny bit of wrestling. I trained for a year in chicago and the sambo teachers sucked. Only good instructor had a brown belt in judo and a purple belt in 10th planet and no sambo background. Oh yeah and combat sambo is not legal in the us.
Oh? How come?

If club will hire some experienced sports sambo trainer from FSU contries, then will not suck.

Combat sambo is sport, like MMA or boxing, not some secret death.
As for non sport purposes, then google in russian Combat Sambo for service applications …..

best sambo players were trained overseas and train with jiu jitsu and or judo grapplers in the states. sambo is really like judo especially in russia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo_(martial_art)
There's some description in english.
Filled by volunteers, but with provided references.

In russian far more sources about it and you can use google translate to read them. Some books in internet too are available.
Russian wiki is with more deep description and provided reference sources.

When did you study with javi? When you say no experience do you mean at all competitively or just none in combat sambo? Because I think you might be a bit mistaken about it.

Respectfully

javi is a good guy

anyways do sambo shoes serve any purpose other than to go for ankle picks ankle locks etc. Seems like it would be easier to be barefoot or wear wrestling shoes. Ill see if they work for boxing.

javi is a good guy

anyways do sambo shoes serve any purpose other than to go for ankle picks ankle locks etc. Seems like it would be easier to be barefoot or wear wrestling shoes. Ill see if they work for boxing.
They prevent me from.stubbing and breaking my toes all the time like like I do in judo. They wont work well in boxing since there is no traction or grip on the bottoms. It makes it difficult to pivot. But good luck.

javi is a good guy

I used to wear wrestling shoes when I competed in grappling tournaments--they helped my movement. Given that I had an emphasis on standing entries or takedowns into submission attacks, being able to move comfortably on my feet was paramount. I think a lot of people probably feel the same and wear them for similar reasons.

They prevent me from.stubbing and breaking my toes all the time like like I do in judo. They wont work well in boxing since there is no traction or grip on the bottoms. It makes it difficult to pivot. But good luck.
That's another reason me and my brother always wore wrestling shoes when we rolled.

wrestling shoes suck for pivoting in judo throws especially on jiu jitsu mats. On wrestling mats they are fine though. I like wrestling shoes for no gi and barefoot for gi.

There was a dude I leglocked a while ago at a tournament, who was touted by some as a world champ in Combat Sambo, though SamboSteve said he wasn't a world champion, but rather a Gold medalist for something called 'the Oleg Taktarov Cup' that was an international tournament but not a world championship. I don't know what the truth of it is, but SamboSteve did seem to have direct access to that sort of info. It'd be cool if he was wrong though.

Hello, I was wondering If someone could help me. I've been training Combat Sambo and I love it. But I've noticed that many sambists in Russia and Eastern Europe cross-compete/train in Judo and Wrestling. Thus I'm curious: am I missing out on becoming a better grappler by not complementing with another art? If so, which one of these would complement Sambo's grappling better: Wrestling, Judo or BJJ? I have all of those available nearby. Thank you in advance.

Back