Sambo thread!

1. It must get rid of the B in BJJ.
What's the logic behind this? I can guess at a few reasons like it implying region specificity (brazil), but curious if there's some actual rule or more so that they would be unlikely to consider a sport with such a name.

While on the subject of Sambo, i would like to share a personal experience with you guys.
I am a BJJ bluebelt, been grappling for about 3 years on and off, mostly NoGi. A couple of months back, i go to check out a new club in the area as my regular is going through changes. A lot of familiar faces, and the guy running the club is a BJJ black ive seen around plenty on open mats.
Anyway, we go through the session learning techniques and then it's time for sparring. As i like kneebars etc i always ask the persons im rolling with if those kinds of locks are ok (since you need to be brownbelt+ in BJJ to compete with kneebars/heelhooks). This particular session i rolled with another blue belt who said yes to my question but obsiously wans't very used to leglocks of any kind as i submitted him like 5 times in 5 minutes.
Off to the next guy. Another blue belt, but this guy looked like a MMA champ. Fine i thought, MMA guys often are lacking in the grappling department, and most bluebelts i rolll with are either my level or beyond. I never get owned by them...

As we start rolling, the guy goes for an achilleslock, transitions to it easily somehow. I stay calm and grab the collar of the Gi (as this almost always nullifies the attack and gives you some time to escape or ajust..), but somehow this guy ajusts his lock and does something magical and my foot feels like it's gonna be torn off. I tap.
This was the start of 5 minutes of hell. This guy throws kneebars, nasty achilleslocks from the pits of hell, sneaky armbars from nowhere. I get tapped like 10 times in 5 minutes, in front of the coach and some other watching. Naturally i was devastated and wondered what kind of blue belt this club was raising and obvoisly this is THE place to be.

Afterwards, i hear this guy is a 13 time world champion in sambo...................... The guys thought it was oretty amusing since i obviously didnt know. :)

Get a new BJJ belt i say...!

But sambo is just an acronym for self defense without weapons in Slavic language group.

I dont think you can call an Olympic sport that either.

But sambo is just an acronym for self defense without weapons in Slavic language group.

I dont think you can call an Olympic sport that either.
You mean like Judo (柔道= the gentle way)?
Im quite sure the IOC are aware of the acronym.

Afterwards, i hear this guy is a 13 time world champion in sambo...................... The guys thought it was oretty amusing since i obviously didnt know. :)

Get a new BJJ belt i say...!

I don't think the guy could be a 13 time world champion. The current record is tied at 11 by Irina Rodina and Murat Khasanov. Not to remove any credit from him; i'm sure he was a beast.
There are some VERY dangerous SAMBO guys on the ground. I know quite a few that really are impressive (much more so than a few "famous" BJJ blackbelts i've rolled with).
It feels like you're rolling with a T-34 Tank... The irony is when you get to see them get smashed by a random guy T-72 in the first round of the Russian/Ukranian SAMBO national championship.

I'm a BJJ bluebelt myself but have quite a bit more SAMBO experience. Friends of mine who medalled at SAMBO World Cup are also bjj bluebelts.
We are no world champions, and being awarded a BJJ bluebelt just not to appear to be a white belt dummy seems to be a common occurrence.
Some years ago, @Ivaylo Ivanov right here was a purple in BJJ... and had plenty of high ranked BJJ people asking him to go soft while rolling...

Hello sambo dudes. Are there any good resources for the striking component of combat sambo, specifically, using strikes for offbalancing / to set up throws?

Hello sambo dudes. Are there any good resources for the striking component of combat sambo, specifically, using strikes for offbalancing / to set up throws?
Hockey.
And Im not kidding.
Main difference with CS striking and headbutting is that it occures while grip fighting

How does a Sambo fighter look like, in your head?

I don't need to know that since I know how wrestlers look like, and those two are indistinguishable from wrestlers. Takedowns, grinding, ground and pound, mediocre submission game (compared to the very best) but good could top control.

I don't need to know that since I know how wrestlers look like, and those two are indistinguishable from wrestlers. Takedowns, grinding, ground and pound, mediocre submissions (compared to the very best) but good could top control.
Can you state your question and intentions clearly?

Can you state your question and intentions clearly?

They have the same strength and weaknesses of MMA fighters with wrestling bases. Does Sonnen have a point that regardless of whether they did Sambo or not, it is not what they use in the cage?

They have the same strength and weaknesses of MMA fighters with wrestling bases. Does Sonnen have a point that regardless of whether they did Sambo or not, it is not what they use in the cage?
I dont care what Sonnen thinks.

Starting next week, I will be in USA for sambo seminars, before the Combat Wrestling pro event I organize on March 17th.

Back