Sambo thread!

In case someone missed it, FIAS is adding chokes to Sport Sambo as well.
Last weekend was held experimental championship and results brought the chokes as common submission method as the armbars and ankle locks.
It seems they will experiment a bit more, before accepting it fully in competitions.
Another change is throw scoring.
Throwing too ?
Hope doesn´t get like judo to keep a difference.

Throwing too ?
Hope doesn´t get like judo to keep a difference.
It allows to score throwing from the knees, (opponent's knees) which was not scored until now.
I believe those 2 changes will.make the game even faster and will prevent almost any stalling.
Sambo rule changes have been discussed for a while now and it was expected to implement those two quite some time ago.

It allows to score throwing from the knees, (opponent's knees) which was not scored until now.
I believe those 2 changes will.make the game even faster and will prevent almost any stalling.
Sambo rule changes have been discussed for a while now and it was expected to implement those two quite some time ago.
So drop seois nage could get you an ippon ?
Something like that ?

So drop seois nage could get you an ippon ?
Something like that ?
No.
It means that if you do lousy drop seoi and you are on your knees, I can throw you and will get same score, as if you were standing.
So, eventually, the stalling type of throws will get countered and since chokes are allowed, people cannot stall in a turtle as well.
Both will contribute to more dynamic game.

No.
It means that if you do lousy drop seoi and you are on your knees, I can throw you and will get same score, as if you were standing.
So, eventually, the stalling type of throws will get countered and since chokes are allowed, people cannot stall in a turtle as well.
Both will contribute to more dynamic game.
Ahhh now I got it !
Sorry I am a little bit brute XD. It sounds like an awesome rule as sometimes even in Olympic Judo high level guys attack and get saved by turtle. I really hope Sambo gets more spread out.

Ahhh now I got it !
Sorry I am a little bit brute XD. It sounds like an awesome rule as sometimes even in Olympic Judo high level guys attack and get saved by turtle. I really hope Sambo gets more spread out.
Good turtle is a legit defence, since it protects your vital organs from harm.
Its also a lot better starting position to run away, from been on your back, for example.
But if you dont know how to close up properly your elbows and armpits, you will get choked quite fast.
In Sport Sambo competitions, until now, you could just turtle up from any failed throw attempt, cover your legs and arms and wait for a stand up.
In Judo, they would just grip both lapels, protect the neck and close the armpits.
I think that will change in Sambo now.

Good turtle is a legit defence, since it protects your vital organs from harm.
Its also a lot better starting position to run away, from been on your back, for example.
But if you dont know how to close up properly your elbows and armpits, you will get choked quite fast.
In Sport Sambo competitions, until now, you could just turtle up from any failed throw attempt, cover your legs and arms and wait for a stand up.
In Judo, they would just grip both lapels, protect the neck and close the armpits.
I think that will change in Sambo now.
Yeah well I was talking about competition when sometimes looks like they depend exclusively from the referee to be saved . Anyway if I make to eastern Europe this year or next I´ll check Sambo gyms to see how the rules change plays.

Yeah well I was talking about competition when sometimes looks like they depend exclusively from the referee to be saved . Anyway if I make to eastern Europe this year or next I´ll check Sambo gyms to see how the rules change plays.
As I said, people will always do what the rules allow them.
If turtle position is protecting them best, they will turtle and wait for ref to restart.
Those are the rules and maybe thats exactly what was targeted for change.
The changes you can see even now, in Combat Sambo gym.

As I said, people will always do what the rules allow them.
If turtle position is protecting them best, they will turtle and wait for ref to restart.
Those are the rules and maybe thats exactly what was targeted for change.
The changes you can see even now, in Combat Sambo gym.
I wish there would be more Sambo around here, judo is too far and BJJ I like it but afiliations stuff and guys too worried about belts take me a little bit down and towards to Sambo, just hope to see a nice club around here before getting too old XD

This is kind of silly but...any good gyms in Ukrania to recomend please?

I can direct you to plenty of them, but depends on what area you are looking for.
I have always wanted to go eastern lands but I was thinking about Lviv , seems like a nice place even in winter and well I know a person in case of an emergency as my russian is not perfect but I am open to other sugestions. Thank´s in advance.

Hello everyone, I just moved from New York to Moscow to teach English and am hoping someone here could recommend a Sambo gym to me? I studied Russian in university and practiced wrestling in high school, and would really appreciate the opportunity to learn, document and translate the sport in practice for a Western audience as a personal hobby while I'm here. To anyone who can help, many thanks.

Hello everyone, I just moved from New York to Moscow to teach English and am hoping someone here could recommend a Sambo gym to me? I studied Russian in university and practiced wrestling in high school, and would really appreciate the opportunity to learn, document and translate the sport in practice for a Western audience as a personal hobby while I'm here. To anyone who can help, many thanks.
I recommend Red Star, it is a nice gym with good coaches who makes online video tutorials
https://zoon.ru/msk/fitness/bojtsovskij_klub_red_star_na_bolshoj_filyovskoj_ulitse/

I hope the IOC will not turn the rules to shit, just like they did with Judo. Good progression, though. I wonder if BJJ will be added, for sambo is really a cross between freestyle wrestling with judo, with similar scoring. I assume the rules will be changed somewhat, to make it different from judo - and will probably be changed, but not in a good way.

I hope the IOC will not turn the rules to shit, just like they did with Judo. Good progression, though. I wonder if BJJ will be added, for sambo is really a cross between freestyle wrestling with judo, with similar scoring. I assume the rules will be changed somewhat, to make it different from judo - and will probably be changed, but not in a good way.
SAMBO already applied all changes needed, to make the sport TV attractive:
- Technical victory for 8 points lead (down from 12), leading to shorter matches.
- Added chokes (experimental from this year, but it was discusses for the last 7-8 years and the rule will most probably stay).
This IOC recognition was sought after for 40 years now, so all the changes were done ahead of entering in the process.
SAMBO will stay the way it is.

Judo and Wrestling had different path, which was well studied by FIAS, in order to avoid constant suspense.

BJJ has a lot of work to do, in order to be recognized. The way it looks, the federation, closest to fulfilling the criterias is UAEJJF and I wish them luck.
What most people dont understand, is that if BJJ enters Olympics:
1. It must get rid of the B in BJJ.
2. Black belts only.
3. Most probably 5 to 8 weight categories (no Absolute).
4. National and international qualifications for participation quota. Meaning, process will be the same as getting a quota for the Olympic Wrestling.
5. Only 1 competitor per country, in each category. No more super fights Brazil vs Brazil or USA vs USA.
6. As Olympic sports are government subsidized sports in Russia and the Stans, most probably we will see complete ex- USSR athletes domination of the scene, within 2 Olympic cycles.

if sambo allowed chokes it'd cover almost all of the bases and offer a damn good hybrid of almost all gi styles...

if sambo allowed chokes it'd cover almost all of the bases and offer a damn good hybrid of almost all gi styles...
Chokes were approved for testing and Im 90% sure from next year chokes will be a regular tool in SAMBO competitions, which is awesome!
And yes, SAMBO is THE best hybrid style out there.
There are methodology and experience data, collected and analyzed for 80 years, producing pure SAMBO athletes, starting as young as 5 years old, to back up this statement.

Back