Sambo thread!

The rugby, and American football guys probably be better in a non jacket wrestling style.
Yeah man a ton of the top USA greco guys also played football at a high level. I believe Dremiel Byers went to college on a football scholarship. Maybe Rulon Gardner too.

Illegal moves in sambo and combat sambo

So no twisting submissions, no striking head if head is touching ground. You can only strike if head is tilted. You cannot touch inside of jacket so cant hold the ends of sleeve cuff or bottom of jacket.

Anyone ever trained at MPR Endurance MMA?

I've always been super intrigued by sambo and even though it's a bit of a drive from me, I figure this'll probably be the only chance I really have to give it a try. Plus apparently its the USA national sambo training center.

Illegal moves in sambo and combat sambo

So no twisting submissions, no striking head if head is touching ground. You can only strike if head is tilted. You cannot touch inside of jacket so cant hold the ends of sleeve cuff or bottom of jacket.

Didn't know a closed guard is illegal in Sambo! :O

Didn't know a closed guard is illegal in Sambo! :O
Sambo doesnt have a guard.
If you are on the bottom, you can be pinned and scored upon, even if the opponent is in your guard, so the guard (as in the meaning of guarding position) and the passguard dont exist.
It makes things quite interesting :)

If you are on the bottom, you can be pinned and scored upon, even if the opponent is in your guard, so the guard (as in the meaning of guarding position) and the passguard dont exist.
I'm fine with being "scored upon" if I can do a sub from bottom. :p (which I'm sure is allowed)

I'm fine with being "scored upon" if I can do a sub from bottom. :p (which I'm sure is allowed)
I dont know if you have ever experienced a pin from guard, but essentially, the guy on the top puts his head on your chest and just holds you down. Which is very easy for him and not so easy for you to attack with submission:
Since there are no chokes in sport sambo, you can only work armbars from that position. Him pinning you, means he will have both elbows closed tight.

That been said, if the top player feels in danger, he can stand up on both feet or lift you off the ground, which will make the ref restart the match from standing:
- One can only submit a grounded opponent
- If shoulders are lifted off the ground, match is restarted from standing

Most wins in sambo happen with combination of throws and pins, which bring most points (you need 8 points lead to technical victory). So a big throw, followed by a 20 sec pin is already the end of the match (4 points for landing on your back + 4 points pin = technical victory).
A player will aggressively attack with submissions if he is behind on points and there is not much time left on the clock, or if the opponent is too good on his feet.

Last edited:
I dont know if you have ever experienced a pin from guard, but essentially, the guy on the top puts his head on your chest and just holds you down. Which is very easy for him and not so easy for you to attack with submission:
Since there are no chokes in sport sambo, you can only work armbars from that position. Him pinning you, means he will have both elbows closed tight.

That been said, if the top player feels in danger, he can stand up on both feet or lift you off the ground, which will make the ref restart the match from standing:
- One can only submit a grounded opponent
- If shoulders are lifted off the ground, match is restarted from standing

Most wins in sambo happen with combination of throws and pins, which bring most points (you need 8 points lead to technical victory). So a big throw, followed by a 20 sec pin is already the end of the match (4 points for landing on your back + 4 points pin = technical victory).
A player will aggressively attack with submissions if he is behind on points and there is not much time left on the clock, or if the opponent is too good on his feet.
Thank you, this is very informative. Combat Sambo allows chokes though, right? So how frequent are subs from bottom in Sports Sambo and in Combat Sambo then?

Thank you, this is very informative. Combat Sambo allows chokes though, right? So how frequent are subs from bottom in Sports Sambo and in Combat Sambo then?
Yes, Combat Sambo allows chokes and they are difficult to escape from, because of the helmet.

Subs are frequent- everytime someone is behind on points, with 30 sec left on the clock, he will result to submissions, since its the only way to win the match at that point.
I cant say how frequent they are from certain position, but you can watch some of the worlds- they are quite entertaining and easy to watch.

Women divisions are famous for constant leglock attempts :)

In general, the big difference is coming from strategic point- match time and scoring system is quite different from BJJ and for that, a lot of people get confused when talk about sambo and submissions, thinking that main objective is to submit the opponent (I have heard that opinion from decorated US sambo players as well), when in reality the objective is to win and the easiest way to reach it is to throw and pin.
Remember, you actually have escapes from submissions- stand up, lift your opponent off the ground or roll out of bounds, those 3 all result in restart from standing position.

Last edited:

I thought there is the "sambo guard" where you see them their feet by the opponents knee or below. Its basically an open guard I have seen this in youtube vids.

I thought there is the "sambo guard" where you see them their feet by the opponents knee or below. Its basically an open guard I have seen this in youtube vids.
Hmmm, not really.
In order to have a guard, you must be guarding something. And since pins are applied from any position, the "guard" is not actually guarding.
In Sambo, the position, which protects a lot better from pins, armbars and leglocks is the turtle.
Similar to judo, and all grappling sports with pins.
Remember, BJJ based styles are the only ones giving incentives for taking the back.
So, in other words, the turtle position is what a Sambo player will resort to, when he is in danger, hence, his guard is actually the turtle.
And that is why, in Sambo, competitors train a lot of turtle turnovers, submission attacks and etc, but nobody trains "passguard" (as in BJJ).

Sambo in the US is awful. A few sambo practioners in the US are really good BUT they trained outside the US Sambo gym. In Russia sambo is called Russian judo because it is so similar. In the US we call American sambo garbage for the same reason.
Although wrestling takedowns are legal you really focus more on judo throws. Khabib spoke about this in a seminar.

Sambo in the US is awful. A few sambo practioners in the US are really good BUT they trained outside the US Sambo gym. In Russia sambo is called Russian judo because it is so similar. In the US we call American sambo garbage for the same reason.
Although wrestling takedowns are legal you really focus more on judo throws. Khabib spoke about this in a seminar.
Well, sambo is probably one of the most popular combat sports (outside of wrestling, boxing, kickboxing etc) in Russia and ex-soviet republics (namely Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan), in Russia I would say that sambo is almost as popular as Judo is. USA is only bad at sambo (and judo :p ) because of the lack of interest in it. Maybe in the next 20 years, you will see some sort of change. In Russia, we also love judo and are very successful in it, so cross training and training with good clubs (which are not hard to find) under good coaches with successful athletes just raises the incentive to become better and train judo too.

there are sambo clubs in mostly every Russian city.

I wouldnt say so.
USA is doing some real progress in development, organization of events and attracting more people to compete.
I have witnessed first hand US bringing gold from the sambo worlds and its only a good thing to see the sport growing.

I wouldnt say so.
USA is doing some real progress in development, organization of events and attracting more people to compete.
I have witnessed first hand US bringing gold from the sambo worlds and its only a good thing to see the sport growing.
Every time I go to sleep I have a dream that a Sambo gym opens in Philadelphia.

Back