We got lucky when edgar got robbed

shit...

like there's some fighter that you would weep for days over if they got in a car accident, AFTER they retired especially

like if you found out liddell or couture or fedor died, i'm sure you'll be beside yourself...

I admired, was a huge fan of, and looked up to Evan Tanner. His words, his actions, his accomplishments, his flaws, his honesty, his character; they all inspired me. It fucked with me badly when he passed, even though I'd never met the man. I connected with him through his writings and followed his career from 2001 when I got back into MMA.

Not everyone is as blase' as you, obviously. Spare us all the evolutionary intellectual reasons as to why humans aren't "wired that way", and realize that emotions, relations, and connections are dynamic across the full spectrum.

I've been through all sorts of trauma and I've also lost fights I've trained for.

Training for months for a fight, visually picturing winning every night and then being beaten up by another man in front of friends and family is about as low a feeling as you can imagine.

Some guys never recover and perseverate on thier loss in a manner that effects everything they do going forward.

Want to know why fighters make excuses after they lose? It's because it's a way out of the self doubt and depression that follows losing "it wasn't the real me that lost."

Now imagine losing before millions of people; a loss that also profoundly effects your career.

What Dan Miller has been through is trauma, losing a fight is a disappointment, and reacting to it as trauma is catastrophising.

I've been through all sorts of trauma and I've also lost fights I've trained for.

Training for months for a fight, visually picturing winning every night and then being beaten up by another man in front of friends and family is about as low a feeling as you can imagine.

Some guys never recover and perseverate on thier loss in a manner that effects everything they do going forward.

Want to know why fighters make excuses after they lose? It's because it's a way out of the self doubt and depression that follows losing "it wasn't the real me that lost."

Now imagine losing before millions of people; a loss that also profoundly effects your career.

Great post.

'Traumatic' did feel like too strong of a word, and compared to other forms of trauma it might still be, but after reading this I can definitely understand where you're coming from.

I've competed in a few grappling tournaments, and the second tournament I entered I ended up foolishly sticking my head out as I went for the body clinch. Completely gave up the guillotine and ended up getting choked unconscious in front of all my team mates and plenty of strangers about 20 seconds in to the match. While I'm over it now, at the time it was honestly one of the most humiliating moments of my life.

Not only did I feel like a complete idiot for making such a stupid mistake, but I felt terrible that everybody saw me looking completely fucking useless. I felt really down about it for the next several days. I can only imagine how much worse that feeling would be if it were a professional fight which was televised for millions to see, and one that you'd been preparing for much harder and for a much longer period of time at that.

Every tournament I've lost I've also walked away thinking 'I know I can beat that guy, I just lost because ____' so I really understand the need to make 'excuses' as well. If you don't then sometimes all that's left is 'Wow, I really fucking suck at this.' I don't think people that have never competed can fully understand how it feels.

What Dan Miller has been through is trauma, losing a fight is a disappointment, and reacting to it as trauma is catastrophising.

I'm sorry I don't agree with you. I also don't agree with trying to equivocate other traumatic experiences.

It was a close fight, but I thought Benson won at the time. Edgar had more convincing rounds in the ones he won, but I think Benson edged out three of them. To me it's more evidence of the ridiculous scoring system than a knock on that fight itself.

A fight like Rampage-Machida can go down as a win for Rampage. That's all a lot of people need to know about the silliness of MMA scoring.

I admired, was a huge fan of, and looked up to Evan Tanner. His words, his actions, his accomplishments, his flaws, his honesty, his character; they all inspired me. It fucked with me badly when he passed, even though I'd never met the man. I connected with him through his writings and followed his career from 2001 when I got back into MMA.

Not everyone is as blase' as you, obviously. Spare us all the evolutionary intellectual reasons as to why humans aren't "wired that way", and realize that emotions, relations, and connections are dynamic across the full spectrum.

Profound post. Profound for sure.

I'm sorry I don't agree with you. I also don't agree with trying to equivocate other traumatic experiences.

I am not trying to minimize the personal experiences of fighters who lose a fight, only stating that one reacting to it as trauma is catastrophizing, but your trying to classify it as trauma is off base, it isn't trauma. It might trigger a depressive episode, particulalry if the fighter has a penchant for it, but still it isn't trauma. If it were, you would also have to include losing a job, having a spouse leave you, losing the SuperBowl, etc., as trauma, which they are not.

a robbery is when a fighter clearly demonstrates he won a fight but at least two judges disagree. that fight was anything but a robbery. it was very much an "eye of the beholder" sort of thing, and that's the risk you run when a fight is that close.

Will we be lucky if edgar gets... yet another, controversial decision against aldo and we'll have to see ANOTHER immediate rematch?

People are talking about superfights,

THIS IS a super fight

I still think Frankie Edgar is one of the most underrated champions only because he doesnt finish his fights. He is technically sound and has zero weaknesses

Except ya know that he takes a ton of damage in most of his fights. In fact it almost cost him Edgar/Maynard II/III. So ya there's that. And guess who like to hit people in the face? Aldo!

Except ya know that he takes a ton of damage in most of his fights. In fact it almost cost him Edgar/Maynard II/III. So ya there's that. And guess who like to hit people in the face? Aldo!

Key word there.

edgar_maynard_3.jpg

there never should of been an edgar/bendo rematch in the first place...bendo whipped is ass and then we had to c him beat him again when we could of saw bendo against pettis again

Back