We are less than 2 years away from the Russian takeover of MMA being completed.

To be fair, this is why the UFC isn't hoovering up all the Russians that are good enough to compete - and yet people still say 'but why didn't they sign Magomed 'The Magomed' Magomed.

And then Magomed “The Magomed” Magomed goes to PFL or Bellator and goes 10-0

UFC: Ankalaev at 205, Khamzat at 170, Islam at 155, Evloev at 145, Yan at 135, Askarov at 125.

Bellator: Moldavsky at HW, Nemkov at 205, Amasov at 170, Usman Nurmagomedov at 155.

Don't forget Shavkat Rakhmanov at 170, Fizaev and Tsurkiyan at 155, and Zhumagulav at 125. I know all but one aren't technically Russian but they are from ex-Soviet countries with similar Sambo backgrounds.

Personally I think Shavkat might reach the title sooner than Khamzat. He's got the size and right mix of skills to give Usman trouble. He's one of the few guys that would be able to counter wrestle Usman.

It will never be 75%. The talent is already out there but UFC makes most events in US and US fans want to see US fighters for the most part, specially regional fighters on each event.

This is why you get the Cole William's with a 11-5 record while the Magomed Magomedov's need to get at least 18-0 to get in.

They currently have a max limit of 30 russians allowed. They may increase it a bit, but not much. For Russia to "dominate", they will need to take the belts...

And the P4P killers from Africa that we have now won't let that happen anytime soon

It's not about Russians. Some of the guys listed aren't even Russian. It's about styles. Nothing prevents Ilia Topuria or Shavkat Rakhmonov or Merab Dvalishvili. or even Americans, Bryce Mitchell, Gregor Gillespie, and many many more in bellator from succeeding. Yes, Russians are good, many good prospects will come from Russia, but Russia isn't exclusive.

What's coming into the meta isn't Russians. What's coming into the meta is wrestling. Of course wrestling has always been dominant, and metas are really just how dominant wrestling is relatively to other peaks of dominance. But as MMA grows more international, these countries that are very good at wrestling like Russia and also many eastern european or west asian countries will produce talented wrestlers. Because the US has never been the only wrestling powerhouse in the world, or even the most dominant (that would be Russia). As MMA becomes more popular and diversifies, people will come from other countries and bring their new wrestling styles and add more to the sport, and through that wrestling will peak within the sport again.

Ali Isaev is better than Moldavsky and defeated 2 multi time combat sambo world champions. He is a world class level freestyle wrestler. Chimaev, Zabit and Evloev (also the 97kg greco roman wrestler) are legit I'm agree.
I'm agree also about the style of wrestling. In Russia the Olympic Wrestling federation support two non Olympic styles of wrestling officially recognised by UWW :

Grappling (a submission style with an evolute stand up wrestling).
Pankration (basically mma with a scoring system ideal for a wrestler).

So you have a monsters with freestyle/greco background ( a lot better than folkstyle in neutral grappling, takedowns - throws) and submission/striking skills.

Last edited:
I won't even notice - I will be too busy bathing in the Blood!

Qf5XRTR.gif

First it was USA vs Brasil now it might be Russia vs Africa

I think the Africa thing is overblown. Not trying to denigrate their heritage but, Usman came to the U.S. at age 8. Israel went to NZ at age 10. Francis, however, didn't move to France until age 26. That being said, he doesn't even have a title defense yet.

There are some promising prospects that have actually lived on the continent most or all of their lives, though.

With the Russians (or nearby countries), they seem to stay in their homelands. Maybe because there is more training opportunities because of Sambo? I don't know.

Now, imagine we get a Chinese Khabib? Imagine what that would do to the MMA world if the population of China became more invested in MMA training.

And then Magomed “The Magomed” Magomed goes to PFL or Bellator and goes 10-0

Right, which is when fans jump on the bandwagon of 'uh oh, they missed another one', when really they just signed the equally good Askar 'The Askar' Askar instead.

And then the Russians, like the Brazilians b4 them, will taste the American dollar and open Combat Sambo gyms all over the US and herp derp just like BJJ the mystery will be dead. Money talks folks.

Talking about the Brazilian dominance some time back. Is it a coincident that once the USDA started most Brazilian champion or top fighters started losing their titles and winning streak.

I think the Africa thing is overblown. Not trying to denigrate their heritage but, Usman came to the U.S. at age 8. Israel went to NZ at age 10. Francis, however, didn't move to France until age 26. That being said, he doesn't even have a title defense yet.

There are some promising prospects that have actually lived on the continent most or all of their lives, though.

With the Russians (or nearby countries), they seem to stay in their homelands. Maybe because there is more training opportunities because of Sambo? I don't know.

Now, imagine we get a Chinese Khabib? Imagine what that would do to the MMA world if the population of China became more invested in MMA training.

With Africa, the population size combined with the hunger/drive make it a potential hotbed of prospects. But, outside of striking, training locally isn't great that's why you mostly see that it's guys who've left the continent that make it.
Considering the small sample of Africans that have actually been exposed to quality MMA training though, the relatively high number that have become successful does imply that the continent could well dominate MMA as it develops in the coming decades. Nigeria especially. Their genetics are just ridiculous, and they have a culture that values high achievement.

The Chinese are desperately trying to encourage masculinity in the wake of the one-child policy. You're not likely to see anything resembling a hard man like Khabib coming out of that country for a long, long time.
I think an African or even Indian Khabib is more likely.

Last edited:
The Chinese are desperately trying to encourage masculinity in the wake of the one-child policy. You're not likely to see anything resembling a hard man like Khabib coming out of that country for a long, long time.
I think an African or even Indian Khabib is more likely.

I don't know how Chinese culture will impact potential training. Like, would their fighters leave the homeland to train? Would that be acceptable to the culture? Would trainers go there? Also, how many subcultures does a country with that massive population have? It's mind boggling.

I do agree that Africa is a hot bed though. Similar to Brazil, it has tough minded men due to hard times in certain countries. And yes, the genetics are top tier due to the history of the continent. And their base is probably going to be boxing until they relocate for training purposes.

I also am ignorant on how the continent will react or is reacting to the current champions. I don't know how good the infrastructure for internet, cellular access and television/UFC etc. is or how many have access to it to be inspired.

That takeover would already be complete if the big MMA orgs were a global meritocracy, but they are not.
All these Magomeds are very poor investments in terms of marketability in the US market, which remains the UFC's bread and butter.

By the way, I personally think that the Georgians are coming, too. They also have a strong warrior culture and are the best in the world in judo. A lot of talent in the Stans, too. Uzbekistan and Kazachstan (two very strong countries in judo, btw).

I think that Mexicans could become a powerhouse, too. Very good hands, fighter spirit, too.

Lastly, I can't help to think that China will become a problem in lower weight classes, too, one day. Chinese fighters are fucking crazy aggressive and they have this nationalistic fanatism, too.

Africa, sorry I don't see it. ALl Africans learned combat sports outside of Africa so....

speaking of Evloev, prospects and since Olympics is on i wish we could get his cousin (?) Musa Evloev to transition to MMA after he gets gold in greco tomorrow, dude's an absolute tank and would wreck 205
c18a3cee26c5337df9d42407221882a412c903a8.gifv

33489bbfc5c4b881674febfdba518a1c.png
Accomplished wrestlers rarely transition to mma, it's just the failed wrestlers (sambo guys)

I also am ignorant on how the continent will react or is reacting to the current champions. I don't know how good the infrastructure for internet, cellular access and television/UFC etc. is or how many have access to it to be inspired.

That does depend on the country. Last time I checked, it's about 600 million Africans online. Kenya, for example, has about 85% internet penetration - for comparison, America's is around 87%, so Kenya's not as far behind as some might think. Nigeria's around 75%, plus/minus. Here in South Africa, we get UFC as part of a common sports television package and following the fights has become pretty common (also, a lot cheaper for us to watch than it is for you guys with that PPV nonsense). My friend's 11-year-old just started training MMA last year; I started about ten years ago. I know other parts of Africa also get the UFC, but I'm not sure of the extent.
But it's certainly not an unknown here.

If you want an idea of how much Internet is in Africa, consider that there were pro-Trump rallies in Nigeria last year :D He's very popular in Africa.

Our biggest obstacle in the future will be the relative popularity of boxing and kickboxing.

Australia have made 2 UFC champions so

fedor isn't the exception....oleg taktarov is....

Back