WBC New weight classes

Boxer

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
WBC has just launched 2 new divisions.

Cruiserweight has been reduced down to a 190 lb limit from 200 lb.

Also they have a new smaller HW Div up to 224 lbs.

I'm biased but that new CW div is everything I've wanted, when fit I weigh around 196lbs, too small for the normal CW where guys drop down from 210 lbs but too big for 175 lb.

"When asked if this new division will affect the historic heavyweight division, Sulaiman denied saying: “The 224 has not changed whatsoever. That is the heavyweight championship of the world. The new division will have a different name."

“A new name, it’s not a super-cruiser-weight or any kind of name. The heavyweight remains to be the top championship of the fighters.”

"Ultimately, this is how the new 18th division in boxing will look like. The weight limit for light-heavyweight will remain the same. The new weight limit for cruiserweight will change to 175-190 pounds. The new division will be at 190-224 and finally, the heavyweight will remain the same."

The Light heavyweight to Cruiserweight difference is what needed adjustment

The 224lb division is going to end up like the cruiserweight division, why would fighters settle for 224lbs when they can make better money and get more exposure at heavyweight? Now they’re going to be stuck with 2 cruiersweight divisions

Last edited:
As has been stated before when this was discussed, it's a dumb measure that I sincerely hope does not get adopted by other sanctioning bodies (even if it does, it won't really change the dynamic of the HW division as only one one belt would matter, but it's still entirely unnecessary). Essentially any good HW in history could make 225 if they wanted to (Fury at his lightest could likely do it, Lennox could, Wlad defintiely could, Vitali likely could, Bowe easily could, Joshua definitely could). Moving CW down to 190 and leaving the HW division as is wouldn't be the worst, though (I never had an issue with the 190 limit as opposed to a 200 pound one).

"Ultimately, this is how the new 18th division in boxing will look like. The weight limit for light-heavyweight will remain the same. The new weight limit for cruiserweight will change to 175-190 pounds. The new division will be at 190-224 and finally, the heavyweight will remain the same."

This makes no fucking sense. Lightheavyweights already FIGHT between 175 and 190. If your going to move the CW division limit to 190, then make it 190 on the freaking dot... sheesh. And then the 'new division' can be 200 to 220.

This whole thing seems to be a half-baked ploy to create and market more hollow multi division champions and collect more sanctioning fees. Like i said, fine i guess, but at least get it right.

Why would anybody want to lose out on heavyweight money and chance to cash out against the big draws in the division? Especially when they all fight cans pretty frequently.

Well, I definitely prefer 190 as a cruiserweight limit. Maybe I'm biased because, like the OP, I weigh between 180 and 190 when I'm lean-ish, but I also think that 190 just makes more sense. There's a substantial section of people who are healthy and in-shape at 190, overweight at 200 plus and drained and emaciated at 175. Cruiserweight being at 190 gives those people a weight class and also presents a meaningful step-up in size from light heavyweight and down from heavyweight. Besides, historically, it is the weight that Holyfield fought at to unify the cruiserweights, the weight Juan Carlos Gomez fought at, the weight Jirov and Toney battled it out.

Personally, I like it.

As has been stated before when this was discussed, it's a dumb measure that I sincerely hope does not get adopted by other sanctioning bodies (even if it does, it won't really change the dynamic of the HW division as only one one belt would matter, but it's still entirely unnecessary). Essentially any good HW in history could make 225 if they wanted to (Fury at his lightest could likely do it, Lennox could, Wlad defintiely could, Vitali likely could, Bowe easily could, Joshua definitely could). Moving CW down to 190 and leaving the HW division as is wouldn't be the worst, though (I never had an issue with the 190 limit as opposed to a 200 pound one).
The 224 thing is a different matter. I am a fan of 190, the 224 thing, not so much.

So how does that work in a unification when the other orgs recognize 200?

Light heavyweights fight between 169 and 175, not 175 to 190.

Huh? I'm talking about fight night weight. What really matters. Most top modern MWs (think Jacobs, GGG, Canelo) fight/fought in the 170-180 range... SMWs in the 180-185... LHWs high 180s -195 and so on.

I guess i should have said that there should be same day weigh-ins too. Even Canelo coming up in his first fight from MW came in over 175. Jacobs routinely came in over 176 as a MW. This is an antiquated view of weight classes.

It all sorta makes a mockery of divisions and the belts imo.

Yeah, I'm not too bothered whether it's at 190 or 200.
25 pounds between light heavyweight and cruiserweight just seems unnecessary to me. And like I said 190 has the history. 190 captures people that are legitimately too big for light heavyweight but probably too small to be heavyweights. 200-pounds is just basically smallish heavyweights.

Either way, there's no need for 224.

Huh? I'm talking about fight night weight. What really matters. Most top modern MWs (think Jacobs, GGG, Canelo) fight/fought in the 170-180 range... SMWs in the 180-185... LHWs high 180s -195 and so on.

I guess i should have said that there should be same day weigh-ins too. Even Canelo coming up in his first fight from MW came in over 175. Jacobs routinely came in over 176 as a MW. This is an antiquated view of weight classes.

It all sorta makes a mockery of divisions and the belts imo.
Well, I hear you there. Modern weight-cutting gets pretty ridiculous. I do think there is a solid case for 190 as the proper cruiserweight limit though. But as far as what you're talking about, yeah, I'm with you. Mostly, I just think there should be some sort of fight night limit as far as how far over the limit you can come in.

Back