WBA Boxing champ beats National Champion Muay Thai fighter, K1

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rare find? Did you guys ever hear of this fight? Most people only remember Briggs and Mercers K1 fights. Unusual to see a boxing champion try out K1 before the age of 40. Interesting to see the boxer anticipate a kick in the air, just bulldozing him. The Muay Thai fighter was Swedish Champion in Muay Thai.

Fight starts at 8:30... and lasts like 10 seconds (excluding the breaks).

Looked staged or the Swede had the flu, mumps, AIDS and cancer.

Fight starts at 8:30... and lasts like 10 seconds (excluding the breaks).

Looked staged or the Swede had the flu, mumps, AIDS and cancer.

It does look very strange. What interests me is why a WBA Champion in his prime takes a K1 fight?

It does look very strange. What interests me is why a WBA Champion in his prime takes a K1 fight?
giphy.gif
?

I just watched the video. This guy was falling down on purpose. The punches weren't even full power first off. And to me they liked like they were being pulled.

I just watched the video. This guy was falling down on purpose. The punches weren't even full power first off. And to me they liked like they were being pulled.
it was the body shots that ripped him to pieces.

Looks like a work, Swedish cat should work on his acting. This is on the level of Chris Bosh flops

Looks like a work, Swedish cat should work on his acting. This is on the level of Chris Bosh flops

I thought at first the boxer connected with a hook, but it landed on the gloves.. so yeah, very fishy. He does not look to be punching very hard.

There was a number of k1 vs boxing fights over the years
This was Ingnashov vs Arthur Williams.
Williams held the USBA Cruiserweight Title (two times), IBF Cruiserweight Title, NABF Cruiserweight Title, WBC USNBC Cruiserweight Title. Some of the titles are from before this fight (2004), some are later.
Williams requested to be allowed to use shoes, and was granted it in return for him not using any kicks -which he had no plan to do anyway.

Williams held the USBA Cruiserweight Title (two times), IBF Cruiserweight Title, NABF Cruiserweight Title, WBC USNBC Cruiserweight Title. Some of the titles are from before this fight (2004), some are later.
Williams requested to be allowed to use shoes, and was granted it in return for him not using any kicks -which he had no plan to do anyway.

Not that many when the boxer was young. it was mostly old dogs desperate for money.

always good to see ignashov in action,he is training people in moscow these days if i remember correctly.

The problem with boxing vs kick boxing or any other type of sport is that you need an aggressive boxer to make it happen. Kind of like the first fight, but not as fishy as an outcome of course. You need a guy that knows the dangers and can just go in and look for an in fight and a quick knock out trusting his punching and having a knock out power of course. If you put a point fighter/smart fighters like Maywheater, Fury or Andre Ward as famous examples they would be unsuccessful in anything else than boxing. But put someone like Tayson for example, he would walk through most of his competition in a minute.

Choi Yong Soo was a Korean boxer (RIP), and he wasn't really in his prime at the time of this fight. He went back to boxing and eventually died due to a fight. Sadly back then and still now, boxing in Korea is extremely corrupt and pretty much dead. The boxing association doesn't know how to manage or market fighters and they are constantly fighting each other over scraps. World Champs were fighting for peanuts and a few Korean boxers actually went to K1 for money despite being undersized for even the lowest weight class.

Which is a travesty compared to how our neighbor, Japan, is doing.

K1 fighter knocks out WBA boxing champ

Back