ways to prevent / minimise the hitchhiker escape

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by HydroMaf, Jun 8, 2014.

1. HydroMaf

HydroMaf White Belt

I have no problem getting people into the armbar position. however if someone pre medidtates that i am going to get the armbar they can hitch hike out of it. I dont know how to re counter it.

Where does my weight go / warning signs / re counters / leg positioning any tips to help minimise this escape. i dont mind generally as it allows the roll to continue and it sets up omopalates nicely. But I dont want that to happen in competition and given that i rarely see it done at the highest level i figured my armbars must suck.

2. Alex88

Alex88 Brown Belt

Cross your feet.
    or
    Underhook his leg.

3. mr violent

mr violent Orange Belt

make sure your heels are biting into their chest/far shoulder. also, either grab the near side pants or underhook the leg.

4. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

Easiest way that no one ever mentions:

Trap the wrist between your head and your shoulder on the side towards the guy's feet. If you trap it on the side towards the guy's head, it is way easier for him to do the hitchhiker out. Trap it on the side towards his feet, and he will probably break his arm if he tries it.

So if I am armbarring the guy's right arm in the usual way, I trap his wrist between my right ear and my right shoulder, on the side towards his feet. No more hitchhiker. Try it out with a partner and see.

5. Chr9is

Chr9is Blue Belt

^^ I like that idea (trapping his arm on his south side between your head and shoulder).

I usually underhook the nearside leg until I get my legs in the position I want or I'm far back enough that I feel like it won't matter/the hitch hiker won't work.

6. Title Fight Productions

Title Fight Productions Steel Belt

What about knees wide like Honda does it, pinning there shoulders to the mat?

7. Steelviper

Steelviper Green Belt

I'm a frequent user of the escape. In order of worry for me:
    1. Underhook leg/pant grip. I basically just about tap right away. This ends me.
    2. Heels to their butt. If i can't run my body parallel to them, i'm toast.
    3. Arm control. If they keep the arm trapped to their torso very securely, they can angle the arm such that moving toward the escape armbars me.

Also, as usual in bjj, you might analyze why they are using that escape in the first place. If you can finish the armbar from top, they are far less likely to be able to run north south.

8. GracieBarraGuy

GracieBarraGuy Yellow Belt

This is my go to escape, especially in no gi. My professor sees it every time and what he does is he'll take his leg that's covering my face and place it under my head and from there place the foot attached to the leg under my head under his other knee that's on my body - triangling me and armbaring me simultaneously. He has the timing down and gets me every time.

9. randomg1t

randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

knees pinched together really hard slows them down.

controlling the wrist makes it much, much more difficult to do that escape.

and lastly, if they do it, you can counter them very effectively: getting the armbar on their left arm, they turn and spin, you immediately roll to your right side, so that you are on your right shoulder. you lift your hips from the mat and extend their arm with your hips. rafa shows this counter in one of his videos, it's surprisingly effective.. but it does still require some wrist control.

10. Easto

Easto Green Belt

Pinch your knees tight. I like this escape, but if the top guy has his knees pinched tight on my arm I can't rotate and I'm stuck.

11. Einarr

Einarr Banned Banned

Do it without falling back from mount. If you're sat on his chest he can't Hitchhiker or really do anything at all.

12. ganssle

ganssle Blue Belt

#1 Cross your ankle behind their far shoulder.

#2 Underhook their near-side leg (or grab their near-side pants @ the knee)

#3 This is more of a counter than a prevention, but lean with them and kick your belly-side leg under their back as they start running into the hitch hiker.. wrapping up an inverted triangle in the process.