1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Ways to imrpove my muay thai

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by slayer57, Oct 8, 2010.

1. slayer57

slayer57 Banned Banned

Basically i've got that grapplers strength, My cardios coming up amazingly quick, been training for about 4 weeks now, Did muay thai for a month previously, and BJJ for about 4 months, (submitted a few blue belts at ralph gracie) so that was kinda cool for being new to martial arts
    I've been focusing on alot of kettlebells and jump rope when i go to workout
    usually strength train twice a week, and have 1 cardio workout

basically i want to increase my speed, I finally just started using the speed bag, and wondering what other ways can help increase my speed

kinda hard also due to my lower back pain, i'm 19, how shitty lol, anyways, just looking for some answers and opinions, thanks :D

just got back into training after a year off, and 5 months off the gym, shredded like a salad at 150 on the dot XD 5'7

2. Poison Tree

Poison Tree Orange Belt

Maybe doing Muay Thai for more than 1 month would help

Not being mean but obv even at 19 some people could have 5-6 years maybe of training if not more, its just about practice, not that you couldnt improve quickly, but u gotta keep going

3. slayer57

slayer57 Banned Banned

brah, i said anything that could help improve my speed, meaning workouts, drills, etc...
    and things i can do when im not training w/ coach.

4. Snubnoze707

Snubnoze707 High Level

You'll increase the speed of your technique by practicing it over and over and over. Muay Thai is all about repetition.

5. slayer57

slayer57 Banned Banned

yes i know that, lol, but i'm asking if there are any exercises/drills to imrpove it even by a little.

6. slayer57

slayer57 Banned Banned

thanks very much, i don't do much bag work, i mean we do in class, but on the side i focus on sparring, s/c, and footwork, ill defenitly add in the heavy bag at the end of class

7. xilliun

xilliun Brown Belt

Shitloads of repetition as stated before. It's just about getting the fast twitch muscles in your body firing which occurs over time, you can't get it to happen overnight (unfortunately).

And I heard ya about feeling like an old man, both of my knees are fucked and I'm 19 too. God help me when I'm 30.

8. slayer57

slayer57 Banned Banned

yeah im defenitly going to work more on the bag then.

and try eating flaxseed daily 2x a day, alot of it too, i stopped eating it and my joints felt dryer, back pain came back, so im gonna keep that a must have in my diet daily
    the flaxseed helped, along with warm baths 1-2 times a week, and a cold bath once a week

9. Ian Coe

Ian Coe Silver Belt Professional Fighter

My honest suggestion would be to get more sessions in with someone who knows what they are doing and outside of that do a lot of cardio (general) and some strength work. This should include core work including weighted twisting motions (ie landmines). Maybe supplement with some boxing lessons as well, although it depends if your muay thai coaches are traditionalists or have embraced western boxing.

If you've only done 2 months in TOTAL, I would suggest not going out and hitting the bag etc for a while when not under tuition/around people who are better then you.
    You will undoubtedly end up learning poor technique, get them ingrained and then they are a nightmare to untrain (for example when checking a kick dropping a hand, leaning back or not having the leg in a good strong position).
    I'm a thai boy and I can usually tell people who have come from self taught, KK, karate (for example shotokan is a easy one to spot), boxing or grappling backgrounds.

10. SAAMAG

SAAMAG San Antonio Applied Martial Arts Group

To be fair some professionals have those same "bad habits" but choose to either not worry about it or feel that they have some physical advantage which allows them to get away with it.

To the OP...you're looking for speed drills? Generally more explosiveness in your movement?

Outside of the best recommendations that have already been given (good technique practiced 10000 times), there are some training methods that you may like:

1. Mechanical speed: punching / kicking a paper target. This is supposed to help you gain speed by forcing you to stay relaxed while attempting to tear the paper with your strike. Can't confirm if it TRULY helps over other things but hey it's something.

2. Reaction speed: timed target hitting. You can work off a sound stimuli or a visual one. Your goal is to strike or kick as soon as you can after the trigger. This is supposed to build a stronger neural pathway through repitition.

3. You can try the speedbag to develop shoulder endurance and rythm. The up and down bag to develop speed, precision, timing, and reaction time.

11. Ian Coe

Ian Coe Silver Belt Professional Fighter

There is a difference between a pro and a person who has done 2 months of training in total.
    I have bad habits as they have developed from sparring, but I know what they are and I have yet to be caught out by them (and none of them are poor technique related, more movement and bone idleness as people don't seem to capitalise on them).

12. SAAMAG

SAAMAG San Antonio Applied Martial Arts Group

Oh absolutely there's a difference. Not saying the guy shouldn't work out any fundamental flaws...just stating the things you and I both know to be true.

I have guys that I try to correct constantly because they compete they think they know better. It's frustrating because I even show them during sparring where their flaws are--hitting them--and the corrections still aren't made because of "personal expression" or ego.

But that's the difference between a fighter and a champion. Champions listen.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  13. Lionidas

Lionidas Brown Belt

Pudzianowski is a great example of this.

He's literally the world's strongest man and he punches like a girl.

14. Lionidas

Lionidas Brown Belt

To the TS.....do bags, pads and shadow boxing.

I'd focus less on sparring and more on technique for the time being, considering you're only 1 month in. Technique is so vital.

Our skinniest guy at MT is ironically the hardest hitter.
    His form is perfect and the pads literally "POP" the loudest in class every single time he hits them.

Sparring with him is actually nice because he controls his power and helps people learn form and technique. He's almost as helpful as the main instructor.

15. The MT Monkey

The MT Monkey Orange Belt

To add to this, try shadow boxing with resistance bands or dumbells. Just make sure you're still doing the technique just.

16. HBbadb0y

HBbadb0y Yellow Belt

Do a lot of shadow boxing like people said. A speed bag will not make you faster.

Buy this and shadow box to its rhythm. Make sure you are using a lot of foot movement as well. Try to breathe to the rhythm as well.

[​IMG]