Ways to get a monthly income.

Why monthly income? Just curious.

wHsXtwZ.jpg

The only ways I know how to get a monthly income is through 1. Real estate. Renting out houses.

and

2. Buying stocks that pay a monthly dividend.

The only problem with monthly dividend stocks is they pay so little. If a stock has a dividend of 10%, well you’ve got to divide that 10% by 12.. And that’s how much you’ll get each month.

Renting out houses is also an idea. I currently own 2 rental properties. But I’m curious to know if anyone knows any other options..

Someone here said something about Jumbo Money Market Accounts. I think those usually only pay annually though, and the most you’ll get is like 2% back a year.

If someone told me a way I could get like 10% back on what I invest, every month.. Well I feel I would be in debt to you for sharing this knowledge..

Have you tried working you lazy asshole

Write a heap of erotica shorts and sell them on Amazon. Erotica needs little to no marketing and with enough of a backlist, you'll make some cash each month.

Gamble by doing parlays on UFC cards.

Everything comes with risk.

Real estate can be good, but then you have to find tenants, good tenants that don’t smoke, no pets that trash the place.

Managing rental properties sounds like a headache. Not completely passive income.

Also requires a large down payment and getting in debt to make money. Very risky.

Stock market for slow and steady returns.

Last edited:
I was hoping for real good serious answers.

Thought there was a bunch of well off old dudes on this site?

We’re all rooting old rich grannies for that dough though man, that’s real grafting dude.

Get a Glock and a ski mask and rob a different drug dealer every month.

Rent income is one of the most misunderstood topics on this forum. You really shouldn't be looking at it as monthly income but more as a long term investment. Most haven't even recouped their initial investment yet they are acting as though they are getting a return. The payoff takes a while.

Rent income is one of the most misunderstood topics on this forum. You really shouldn't be looking at it as monthly income but more as a long term investment. Most haven't even recouped their initial investment yet they are acting as though they are getting a return. The payoff takes a while.

How is that any different than a dividend stock? You still pay out a certain amount of money, and receive a certain percentage return periodically. Your downpayment for a property isn't spent money, it's equity that you still own.

Or am I misunderstanding you?

One other way is to be a retired member of high level politician or high ranking ex-military, and you sit on the board of some company for a monthly salary you barely have to show up to work for. But you will be called upon for "consultancy" or connections.

The only ways I know how to get a monthly income is through 1. Real estate. Renting out houses.

and

2. Buying stocks that pay a monthly dividend.

I think you have unrealistic expectations for stocks (excluding appreciation). A dividend of 10% is very high. Dividend yield ETFs often have payouts of about 5% annually. Even peer to peer lending (where you would expect higher yield because of the higher risk) only pays out in the 10-15% range annually for typical loans. That said, p2p lending could be a way to go if you can handle the riskier loans (which offer up to, say, 30% interest annually) as long as you have enough networth to qualify as a lender.

Failing that you could provide "sharing" like through AirBnb or Truro. Some people work up to entire fleets of Truro cars and become almost mini-car rental agencies. There are remote, app-controlled keyboxes and stuff so you never even have to be on site to meet the renters.

When I considered Airbnb, I found lots of companies who will handle photography, listing, furnishing, cleaning, key handover and the whole works.

How is that any different than a dividend stock? You still pay out a certain amount of money, and receive a certain percentage return periodically. Your downpayment for a property isn't spent money, it's equity that you still own.

Or am I misunderstanding you?

You are correct in that aspect, but I'm talking about another aspect. I'm just going to throw some random numbers out there: Let's say a place rents for $800 and other fixed expenses (mortgage payment, taxes, etc.) are $500. They will typically say something like "I've got an extra $300 a month in my pocket from my rental". Well for one, you don't have any extra money from the rental because you are still recouping your investment. That equity can shrink, and often does, in rental properties. Depreciation from shitty renters, repairs, other unknown expenses, etc. Smart landlords are putting most of that money to the side to plan for those things.

My main point is that investors in rentals really should not look at it as monthly income for a long time. Look at it as a long term investment. I've been in this business 13 years and I've seen many fail at rentals, but more importantly, I've seen many that were just disappointed realizing it isn't a gold mine. All of that money they thought was in their pocket gets diminished with the big expenses (repairs, vacancies, court fees, etc.)

sell a product or provide a service

10% of your initial investment back every month? Yeah, I don't think that's very likely, boss.

I think he just told you to get a job.

No, I told him to start a business.

He can then hire himself out of the job.

Thats what I did.

My main point is that investors in rentals really should not look at it as monthly income for a long time. Look at it as a long term investment. I've been in this business 13 years and I've seen many fail at rentals, but more importantly, I've seen many that were just disappointed realizing it isn't a gold mine. All of that money they thought was in their pocket gets diminished with the big expenses (repairs, vacancies, court fees, etc.)

Oh, yes, from that point of view I agree with you. In my household we have five properties (so we're pikers compared to you haha) and I've never looked at them for income, though I'm always cash flow positive. I have never incorporated their income into my personal spending.

I believe it's better to borrow more on the rentals (because the interest payments reduce taxable income from the rent) and pay more into my personal residence or retirement accounts (ie: no or deferred tax). Also paying enough money into the rental to make the net monthly income significant means that return on equity is reduced from the point of view of house price appreciation; and a large part of the attraction of real estate is the ability to leverage at low interest (compared to say a margin account at a brokerage or a small business loan).

Back