Wayne Gretzky beat Sugar Ray, Pele and Bjorn Borg in a race

boxers ... best known for their sprinting ability

but yeah skating would use the same muscle groups as sprinting. I'd guess it was a 14 second time for 100 metres since most top athletes who aren't pro sprinters can do that.

Like the rest of the civilized world, I don't like Canadians one damn bit.

But Wayne is probably the most underrated athlete of the 20th century. His records are beyond amazing.

Also; I'd like to remind the world we had Gretzky and Hull, as marquis players, and somehow STILL lost ... (sob, sob).

Pele is the only other speed athlete in the challenge and he was TWICE as old as Gretzky.
Sure, if you consider soccer players to be "speed" athletes. I get it. It's the only other sport that involves actual sprinting.

But the 6'11" guys at the NBA combines run faster 25m sprint times (extrapolated from 3/4 sprints) than the time Christiano Ronaldo ran for the sports lab that had soccer fans swooning across the world. They jump higher, too.

Pele's the only guy there who could kick one of the basketballs into the hoop, and quite possibly more than 1 in the time alotted. With the muscle memory and coordination he displayed in his mastery of soccer there's little doubt he would have been a great free throw shooter if he trained for that skillset.

This proves it, hockey > boxing, soccer, and tennis. Why do we even watch other sports anymore?
A hockey player would be UFC champ with 6 months of training.

In 1982, their ages were:

Gretzky 21
Borg 26
Leonard 26
Pele 42

lol
Pele the significant one of course and also the only other one were speed over a significant distance was significant in his sport.

Last edited:
A white guy wins a footrace against brovaz? Wayne truly is the greatest.

ngl, I am a bit shocked. Was assuming all these A level athletes would be close, especially sugar ray
If Pele was in his 20s like those guys instead of being in his 40s he would've smoked them.

Sure, if you consider soccer players to be "speed" athletes. I get it. It's the only other sport that involves actual sprinting.

But the 6'11" guys at the NBA combines run faster 25m sprint times (extrapolated from 3/4 sprints) than the time Christiano Ronaldo ran for the sports lab that had soccer fans swooning across the world. They jump higher, too.
Ronaldo is a freak, he hit a 42 inch vertical to nail this goal that would equal the top jump at the NBA combine this year.

giphy.gif

The NBA sprint test is so short it's hard to stretch that out to any distance.

I think Ronaldo would smoke a 6"11 guy on a race distance e.g. 50m or 100m

giphy9.gif

Yeah but Gordie Howe kicks his ass at any age.

A prime Pele probably would have won

That was pretty impressive. He's the only one that doesn't play his sport on solid ground.

Sure, skating builds strong legs but so do soccer, tennis, and boxing, and 2 of those have to sprint in their sport sometimes. You'd think their sprinting technique would be enough by itself to win.

Yeah but Gordie Howe kicks his ass at any age.
Gordie Howe Hat Trick. Goal. Assist. Fight.

He was a beast and used his elbows and body to great effect alongside an amazing skillset. They don't make em like that anymore.

Gordie Howe Hat Trick. Goal. Assist. Fight.

He was a beast and used his elbows and body to great effect alongside an amazing skillset. They don't make em like that anymore.

My dad told me a story about meeting “Terrible” Ted Lindsay (Detroit Red Wings legendary enforcer) at a union fundraising construction event thing, Ted was the guest of honour.

They talked about getting the hockey players into the NHLPA. I don’t know all the historical details but the way the story was told to me, Ted was the guy who got NHL players to unionize. Before him, the owners paid them whatever they wanted. Gordie was always on board with the owners because he was a top guy, but enforcers and the guys with missing teeth wanted healthcare plans etc.

Anyway, apparently Lindsay would beat the shit out of all the anti-union holdouts. He identified the guys who would stand in the way of the NHLPA and dropped the gloves with them. Afterwards when they needed some kind of healthcare they joined the union.

Not Howe of course, but everyone else.

lol

My dad told me a story about meeting “Terrible” Ted Lindsay (Detroit Red Wings legendary enforcer) at a union fundraising construction event thing, Ted was the guest of honour.

They talked about getting the hockey players into the NHLPA. I don’t know all the historical details but the way the story was told to me, Ted was the guy who got NHL players to unionize. Before him, the owners paid them whatever they wanted. Gordie was always on board with the owners because he was a top guy, but enforcers and the guys with missing teeth wanted healthcare plans etc.

Anyway, apparently Lindsay would beat the shit out of all the anti-union holdouts. He identified the guys who would stand in the way of the NHLPA and dropped the gloves with them. Afterwards when they needed some kind of healthcare they joined the union.

Not Howe of course, but everyone else.

lol
Yeah Ted Lindsay was a notoriously tough son of a bitch. I think most of em were back then!

Back