Way(s) around the Reebok deal controversy

RexChapmanFan

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I still don't understand all the ins and outs of the UFC-Reebok deal. I always feel like there are details that no one sees, as how else could the UFC think this thing was beneficial? Seems to have alienated and hurt financially most of the fighters and doesn't really do much for the UFC as far as marketing, reputation, etc. Having said that, there's probably a big payday for Zuffa in there somewhere, hence why they went with it.

Regardless, I'm wondering why this has to be an 'all or nothing' kind of deal. Surely there are ways to incorporate a fighter's other sponsors such that that fighter can make money from those sponsor relationships all the while still highlighting Reebok as the main UFC sponsor.

Possible idea: before each fight, right before Buffer calls out the fighters in the Octagon, put the camera on each fighter and list his top 5 non-Reebok sponsors and their websites in a graphic. And then mention the slogan of one of those sponsors at the fighter's choosing. For example, "Johny Hendricks is sponsored by XXXX, XXXX, XXXX, XXXX, and Pro Bass Shops...'Pro Bass Shops where fishing is for living.'" Or something like that. But all the while the fighters are wearing Reebok gear and the Reebok logo is everywhere.

Why couldn't something like this (or a better idea) work? There are too manys to do this; appears no reason to throw out the baby with bathwater. And seems like fighters and Zuffa both win. Thoughts?

Lyoto Machida SPONSORED BY JOLLY GREEN GIANT AN SALD

Lyoto Machida SPONSORED BY JOLLY GREEN GIANT AN SALD
Allens-Apple-Juice.jpg

Why make it so complicated?

All they could have done was keep the banners in each corner.

Possible idea: before each fight, right before Buffer calls out the fighters in the Octagon, put the camera on each fighter and list his top 5 non-Reebok sponsors and their websites in a graphic. And then mention the slogan of one of those sponsors at the fighter's choosing. For example, "Johny Hendricks is sponsored by XXXX, XXXX, XXXX, XXXX, and Pro Bass Shops...'Pro Bass Shops where fishing is for living.'" Or something like that. But all the while the fighters are wearing Reebok gear and the Reebok logo is everywhere.
You're under the misimpression that the UFC wants ways around the Reebok sponsorship. They're the ones responsible for it. Your idea would need full co-operation and even initiative from the UFC to have non-Reebok sponsors featured on their broadcast.

Getting rid of those sponsors was the UFC's idea. They wanted to kill all the fighter's sponsors so they could have one big sponsor of their own, which mostly benefits them in (likely) some sort of "backroom deal."

This is a paradox of epic proportions, or just one big misunderstanding of what's going on.

I think main event fighters should wear Reebok only but with a increase of sponsor money and have the prelim fighters have bit of pay cut in Rebook money but is allowed to have other sponsor on their shorts. No banners though.

You're under the misimpression that the UFC wants ways around the Reebok sponsorship. They're the ones responsible for it. Your idea would need full co-operation and even initiative from the UFC to have non-Reebok sponsors featured on their broadcast.

Getting rid of those sponsors was the UFC's idea. They wanted to kill all the fighter's sponsors so they could have one big sponsor of their own, which mostly benefits them in (likely) some sort of "backroom deal."

This is a paradox of epic proportions, or just one big misunderstanding of what's going on.

I'm just not sure that is what is happening. I feel like Reebok pressured Zuffa into an all-or-nothing approach, but I'm saying that you can accomplish the same benefits to Reebok all the while not hurting the fighters. Whether or not Zuffa cares to do that, maybe they don't, but my post is meant to say that IF they were possibly interested in finding work-around, there has to be some out there.

I think main event fighters should wear Reebok only but with a increase of sponsor money and have the prelim fighters have bit of pay cut in Rebook money but is allowed to have other sponsor on their shorts. No banners though.

I like that idea, too.

Why make it so complicated?

All they could have done was keep the banners in each corner.

I couldn't remember whether those were eliminated or not. Regardless, I think the non-Reebok sponsors (and in turn the fighters) would benefit more from my idea. More visibility.

"Roy Big Country Nelson is sponsored by Condom Depot. Your one stop Condom shop. Where we got big Condoms, little Condoms, yellow Condoms and blue Condoms. We got Condoms that will do the pumping for you, Condoms that will call a cab when your done. That's right at Condom Depot, where if you don't need one of our Condoms, you might be some kind of damn loser."

I'm waiting for a fighter to thank Reebok for fucking them over in a post-fight speech on Fox.

I couldn't remember whether those were eliminated or not. Regardless, I think the non-Reebok sponsors (and in turn the fighters) would benefit more from my idea. More visibility.

You are not getting it.
If they wanted a way around, they would not have got rid of the corner banners.

The heat from the Reebok deal is dying down, Zuffa will just ride it out and six to twelve months it will be as if Reebok was always the sole sponsor. The fighter's have no union and have little to no bargaining power. I think it's a great move in terms of aesthetics and branding but the fighters are the ones suffering.

I'm just not sure that is what is happening. I feel like Reebok pressured Zuffa into an all-or-nothing approach, but I'm saying that you can accomplish the same benefits to Reebok all the while not hurting the fighters. Whether or not Zuffa cares to do that, maybe they don't, but my post is meant to say that IF they were possibly interested in finding work-around, there has to be some out there.
If there's one thing that's been completely apparent from day one of this Reebok deal, it's that Zuffa doesn't give a fuck about the fighters.

There was already a low fighter pay controversy before the Reebok deal, and they went ahead and did it. The rationale? Probably they saw all the collective millions the fighters were making by advertising sponsors on the UFC's broadcast, saw an uncapitalized revenue stream there for themselves, became possessive of the idea that only they should be benefiting from advertisements on their own broadcast, and then signed the deal which undisputedly saw every fighter take a reduction in sponsorship money.

Chances are there were other factors (IE: wanting to clean up the presentation by removing the "NASCAR look" fighters had in the octagon), but a big missing piece of this puzzle is how Zuffa in any way benefited from the deal, which they claimed "100% of the money (the $70,000,000) goes to the fighters." While that may be true, $70mm for six years is a hilariously bad sponsorship deal for a company that has exposure on FOX.

Nike just spent $252 million to extend a college sponsorship for fifteen years, which works out to $16.8 million/year. Meanwhile, Reebok's sponsorship of the UFC works out to $11.7 million/year, which has to be split between a roster of ~600. Something clearly doesn't add up, and I'm guessing if we looked at the Fertittas'/White's bank statements, it would make a lot more sense as to why this deal was made.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I see it,There is literally nothing wrong with the Reebok deal except the clothing designs.

The heat from the Reebok deal is dying down, Zuffa will just ride it out and six to twelve months it will be as if Reebok was always the sole sponsor. The fighter's have no union and have little to no bargaining power. I think it's a great move in terms of aesthetics and branding but the fighters are the ones suffering.

100% this.
The casual MMA fan doesn't care about the Reebok disaster.
It was an extremely short-sighted idea by Zuffa, but it is not a company killer.

The UFC wants other sponsors but they don't want them to be fighter sponsors only exclusive UFC sponsors. They've mentioned that Reebok is only the beginning. It's truly taking food out of the fighters mouths and their families.

Monster energy drink is another official sponcor, Harley Davidson as well and a few others, fighters are not in the mix with most of these deals. It's money to the UFC FIRST then the UFC pays the fighters. Reebok has mentioned that they are not in control of the fighter pay it's all managed by the UFC Reebok just writes the checks to Zuffa.

Back