Crime Waukegan Illinois police shooting, video, and pending lawsuit.

Since the "victim" lied about the encounter, and the evidence isn't clear either way, I'll side with the cop here.

When I got the talk about cops part if it included don't resist arrest, and if you do then expect them to fuck you up.

That said, what was the angle the cop was shooting at that the passenger was killed? Not sure how the cop can be about to get run over and miss the driver that badly.

The officer who fired the deadly shots did not properly activate his body camera to capture the shooting. The shooting was not captured on video as a result, which makes it difficult to say whether the shooting was justified. It may have been because a vehicle is deadly, but without seeing the video I'm not comfortable coming to that conclusion.

But just watching the first minute of that video, what kind of immature, unprofessional police work was occurring here? From the video:
Driver: Why?
Police: Because I said.

Gap in video

Police: I ain't playing with you, cuz I know you. Marcellus you're under arrest.
Witness: Why?
Police: Because he has a warrant.

News: ABC7 could not find any open warrants for Marcellus's arrest, and his attorney could not either.

When you tell somebody they are under arrest, the answer cannot be, "Because I said." That is not professional in any setting, but especially not when you're an officer telling somebody they are losing their freedom. When you then go on to tell the person they have a warrant, and according to the news program they do not, it makes me wonder what was wrong with this particular officer, and why he was under the impression he recognized the guy and knew he had a warrant, and why he was unwilling to explain that from the start.

It just seems like a totally botched stop, from a procedural standpoint. It doesn't excuse what happened afterwards, but it certainly doesn't paint the officer in a good light. Hopefully there's a more complete video that shows more professionalism than what we see here.
Really want to know why the cop claimed he had a warrant and tried to arrest him

The cop who got fired is going to win a lawsuit. Body cameras are so important for cops to protect themselves. The media & BLM normalizing resisting/fleeing arrest, and in this case trying to run over a cop, is amazing.

People who are hosed: (1) Good people in lower income minority dominant neighborhoods. The cops can't protect them, and innocent people are suffering, as per recent crime stats. (2) Cops who are in the profession to make people's lives better. I've got two cop friends. One bailed two years ago & retired early because he saw the writing on the wall. The other is going to retire ASAP in a little over a year. Both are outstanding people who have made great contributions to their communities. But all it takes is one criminal to pull a gun on you, or fight during an arrest, or try to run you down in a car, and your career is over & the usual suspects will call for your prosecution. Better to look the other way when there is a crime, or get out on your own terms, but this makes life worse for vulnerable people as per (1) above.

I didn’t exactly get out on my own terms. Back surgery did that for me, but I could have demanded a desk job and worked as a civilian with same pay to finish my last two years. I wanted nothing to do with that place anymore. I wanted nothing more to do with policing. I gave a lot of blood, sweat, and I juries too that profession and have had three surgeries in four years thanks to it to come away limping and a smallish pension. But with my current job, I make about 20 more than I did. I am already up to a third of what my wife makes!

Since the "victim" lied about the encounter, and the evidence isn't clear either way, I'll side with the cop here.

When I got the talk about cops part if it included don't resist arrest, and if you do then expect them to fuck you up.

That said, what was the angle the cop was shooting at that the passenger was killed? Not sure how the cop can be about to get run over and miss the driver that badly.

If I had to guess, I would say they were driving towards the cop because she was hit in the stomach and him the head-I think. She is fucking hideous and wall-eyed so maybe she got things confused. She is the reason he is dead. Not the cops. She chose to flee. She did. Her fault and no one is saying this in the news

Really want to know why the cop claimed he had a warrant and tried to arrest him

The news says they couldn’t find a warrant, but that doesn’t mean there wasn’t one-also, the cop can tell anyone to get out of a vehicle per PA v Mimms. she still chose to flee and got him killed

At this point, I don’t know anymore. I know why I wanted to be a cop, but that doesn’t fit with today’s climate

It’s totally fine to be a cop in most suburbs.
In grade school, we’d have a local cop visit classrooms and they always said that they had never had to use their gun before.

Yep. It’s just a car.

I also forgot to mention that the bf either had a warrant or the officer thought he had a warrant. Either way, he told him to get out of the car because he was under arrest. Then Tamara, who was driving took off
But what if he was making up the part about a warrant. Then the whole thing looks much worse.

In saying that, you don’t resist police unless you have a damn good reason - mostly because it puts your life in further danger

It’s totally fine to be a cop in most suburbs.
In grade school, we’d have a local cop visit classrooms and they always said that they had never had to use their gun before.

I never fired mine at anything other than injured animals, but I have had to pull it countless times. The first time was after my first week in uniform and I couldn’t sleep that night. Then the next time was the very next day

But what if he was making up the part about a warrant. Then the whole thing looks much worse.

In saying that, you don’t resist police unless you have a damn good reason - mostly because it puts your life in further danger

See my above post. It doesn’t matter much. The cop says get out of the car, the person has to according to Supreme Court

If I had to guess, I would say they were driving towards the cop because she was hit in the stomach and him the head-I think. She is fucking hideous and wall-eyed so maybe she got things confused. She is the reason he is dead. Not the cops. She chose to flee. She did. Her fault and no one is saying this in the news

She was in control of the vehicle, not him. They are not the same person and her flooring it isn't necessarily him resisting. The case can be made that he was an innocent bystander murdered by the police.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/amp/Woman-shot-by-suburban-Chicago-police-sues-15686302.php

Outside of Chicago, police officers are being sued after a shooting that occurred over the previous weekend. A woman who looks like buckwheat, Tafara Williams, claims they were sitting in a vehicle when they were approached by an officer. She claims the officer just started shooting. But she left out when she first talked to her mother, saying “mama, we was just sitting there when he started shouting.” She left out that they fled from the scene and when officers tried to pull them over further down the road, they again fled and crashed their car. Then as the officer approached, they tried to flee again, and according to the officer, almost struck him when he started firing, or as news calls it “opened fired.” Her boyfriend, Marcellus Stinnette, was killed as he sat in the passenger seat.

She is suing Both the officer that stopped them in the first place and the officer that fired the shots as well as the city, who should have known he was an unfit officer. This is based on a claim by a man who says the officer showed up at a baptism party and tased him. However, that man admits he resisted arrest and plead guilty to the crime. Yeah, sure let’s take his word for it that the officer is unfit-however, to absolutely no one’s surprise, she is represented by professional black ambulance chaser, Ben crump.

They also claim that the officer did not turn on his body camera, showing he intended to shoot them-her in the arm and stomach and her bf in multiple places. Imagine an officer in a pursuit not turning on his body cam. Really? An officer should take his focus off of the suspects that try to run him down after fleeing twice, should have stopped to make sure his camera was on.

The officer was fired for not adhering to policy. I would caution anyone that grabs hold of that fact that these policies are likely the body cam issue and shooting at a moving vehicle and also the political climate.

I will totally give the city and protesters props for remaining peaceful. This is how you protest-not stealing shoes, televisions, and lighting shit on fire like a bunch of animals.

Here is the video:

The reason they remained peaceful is because after the last riot the police and justice system started handing out actual serious punishments for the people caught. Chicago ain't fucking around, which is what these other dumbfuck cities should be doing too.

The news says they couldn’t find a warrant, but that doesn’t mean there wasn’t one-also, the cop can tell anyone to get out of a vehicle per PA v Mimms. she still chose to flee and got him killed
Attorney couldn't find one either

She was in control of the vehicle, not him. They are not the same person and her flooring it isn't necessarily him resisting. The case can be made that he was an innocent bystander murdered by the police.

I agree. I blame her. One could expect an officer about to be run over to fire a stray shot or more. Or maybe he was aiming for both of them. Either way, the cop is responsible for all the shots he fires down range. All of them. But her version is a lie.

I have absolutely no issue with the protests for him being killed. To play devils advocate, had he gotten out of the vehicle when told to, he would still be alive or had she not fled, neither would have been shot. That is on her ugly Stupid ass.

I think this is akin to Breona Taylor. Officer acting lawfully(as it appears this far) has a understandable reason to hit a misty innocent bystander. But still not criminal imo.

The reason they remained peaceful is because after the last riot the police and justice system started handing out actual serious punishments for the people caught. Chicago ain't fucking around, which is what these other dumbfuck cities should be doing too.

The way it should be. Protest all you want so long as no laws are broken and no one else’s rights are infringed upon. That means no screaming at sleeping people, no blocking roads, no throwing things at police, and sadly, no fires or looting.

The flip side of that is also true. Cops should not ever crack down on legal protests as it is a denial of first amendment rights s

I think there needs to be a new policy where every police officer has a black partner. And let the black officer do the "justified" open fire.

They would be so over worked and some would have to be cut into pieces. I had a black partner for three years. But he was the only one for about ten years, then we had one that was half black-I joked that he was 3/5s black-only some got that joke. And now there is only one. So we would have had to cut them into 80 some pieces-I know which piece I want

I think there needs to be a new policy where every police officer has a black partner. And let the black officer do the "justified" open fire.
Sadly this is the only idea yet that may prevent the parasites from looting after every shooting

Maybe the officer was mistaken. But still, pa v mimms applies
That doesn't really excuse the issue here. I'm fine with that ruling applying to situation, a cop asks you to step out you step out. I also do place blame on the driver for just taking off which only made the situation worst. I still take issue with a cop walking up to the car and going "Hey I know you, you are under arrest" then l either lying or being mistaken about that person having a warrant. He's either incompetent or a liar, and chances are if he had his way that person would be going to jail for the night till things got sorted out. I am not ok with that, innocent people should not go to jail because a cop failed to do his job properly, or even worse, lied to place that person there.

You'd think he would at least detain and verify first instead of jumping straight to taking the person to jail.

Back