Waterson vs Jędrzejczyk...

Two years ago, Joanna
Now, I’m not so sure.

I bet Joanna would be the favorite but I doubt it would be a landslide
Far from a landslide.
The gap has closed a great deal since JJ outclassed Esparza. In fact, JJs confidence may have turned out to be worst enemy as she had remained in "idle " really believing no one could touch her.
This sport, you have to evolve with the times....regardless.

Far from a landslide.
The gap has closed a great deal since JJ outclassed Esparza. In fact, JJs confidence may have turned out to be worst enemy as she had remained in "idle " really believing no one could touch her.
This sport, you have to evolve with the times....regardless.

I think one of the interesting things to see will be how well someone like an Eye or a Calderwood does against Valentina. I think Joanna did reasonably well against Valentina. Got beat decisively but didn’t get outclassed and even started to come on stronger late in the fight.
If Valentina starts looking dominant against these other contenders, I think there’s a case to be made that Joanna has actually become a bit underrated from her few losses.

Rose just seems like a bad match for her and Valentina might be the best 125er in the world. No shame.

I do agree that the gap has closed a bit and I think michelle throws a lot of strikes which at least puts her in a position where she can hang with Joanna. It’s just in terms of cumulative damage, I see Joanna landing the heavier more damaging shots. In a three rounder, I think it’s relatively close. In a five rounder (which it won’t be unless they main event an espn show), I see Joanna winning more dominantly.

Waterson vs. Calvillo would be a good fight to make too. Easily marketable. Potentially sick ground fight as well.

Michelle has and should be fighting at 105. JJ has fought at 125... JJ is to big and powerful for her.

Michelle has and should be fighting at 105. JJ has fought at 125... JJ is to big and powerful for her.
Just for reference Joanna was smaller than Michelle for both Rose II and Tecia.

Michelle can cut water. Joanna cannot. Michelle gains back about 10lb and fights at 125lb in cage. Not sure if Joanna breaks 120lb now. Joanna has long muscles partly due to her genetics and partly due to her S&C coach fixing her body composition over 3 years. She is just tall. Also she has really dense bone that used to be prone to breaking/fracture.

The big Joanna is a myth. Apart from Carla everyone was either her size or much bigger. We have real stats for some of the Strawweights and apparently many are over 130-140 in the cage. Shouldn't be a shock when Michelle herself is 125lb.

Back