Watching the boxing fight tonight.. it’s obvious that UFC “boxers” are TRASH !!

Dominic Cruz (mma boxer)
a322c03a94505b92e5e284e03ff0e3be.gif

I think Conor vs Mayweather taught us a lot about the skill void between an MMA "striker" and a top level boxer. The bottom line though is that it's not really surprising is it?!?

Always find this funny especially when MMA fans cream themselves about McGregor. McGregor didn't even make it on to Irish Olympic boxing team yet a lot of MMA fans thought he'd beat Floyd.
I love all combat sports but in MMA one is generally a jack of all trades and a master of none.

Always find this funny especially when MMA fans cream themselves about McGregor. McGregor didn't even make it on to Irish Olympic boxing team yet a lot of MMA fans thought he'd beat Floyd.
I love all combat sports but in MMA one is generally a jack of all trades and a master of none.
That's The reason it's exciting. Because all the martial arts involved. Pure folkstyle gaethje probably beats khabib but khabib's allowed to bring his sambo/experience with strikes. But I agree being a world class striker doesn't make you an elite boxer.

Buy at the same time like I said if you try to do MMA following boxing discipline, stance and what not, it won't work.

The sport is still young. There's going to be boxers with accolades that might transition into MMA. For that to happen, mma needs to be regulated so the money stops looking funny

Even if you took away all grappling, kicks, elbows, and knees, and just had boxing with mma gloves it would change things immensely. Boxing is a very specific sport.

I think having a boxing match between an mma fighter and a boxer with mma gloves dramatically improves the odds for the mma fighter to win. Obviously the boxer would still be the overwhelming favorite, but taking away the big gloves hurts the more skilled fighter in my opinion

In MMA you don't really need great boxing skills. Look at Ben Askren, can't even throw a punch without it looking awkward yet in a real fight he would ragdoll Mayweather.

Boxing in MMA is trash. Boxing doesn't work when someone can grab and throw you.

The only reason UFC has so many strikers is because these guys adjust their styles to get Performance of the Night bonus money from striking KO's.

Uhh...no shit? does this even need to be said? the guys that are good boxers in MMA would be decent B or C tier pros in boxing. Not terrible but obviously nowhere near world class level.

Kind of besides the point though isnt it? they're MMA fighters not boxers.

What I find most brutal is watching mma fighters trying to understand combinations lol. I was a Golden gloves jobber and I think I could demolish the best mma fighter in a boxing match.

I’m 125 lbs and 6ft 2 and I am certain I could out point JDS in a boxing match
6'2 125lb ? The average truck driver would send you to the moon, let alone JDS. Keep dreaming.

Mma boxing is way different than boxing boxing. Why don't people understaND this? Giant gloves, no threat of takedowns or kicks, changes EVERYTHING with mma boxing.
Thank you.

So frustrating to see people whine the whole time, when MMA boxing by default looks different, even with the best boxers in MMA.
Completely different range too.

Mma boxing is way different than boxing boxing. Why don't people understaND this? Giant gloves, no threat of takedowns or kicks, changes EVERYTHING with mma boxing.
Probably only boxing fans who don’t understand this. MMA striking is highly underrated. How many times have we seen kickboxers and boxers alike getting KO’ed in the cage by fighters who wouldn’t stand much of a chance under boxing or kickboxing rules? It’s like comparing basketball to handball.

The only component sport of MMA where (some of) the top guys can truly compete with world-class fighters is submission grappling and even that is starting to become less and less true over time.

Even if you took away all grappling, kicks, elbows, and knees, and just had boxing with mma gloves it would change things immensely. Boxing is a very specific sport.

I think having a boxing match between an mma fighter and a boxer with mma gloves dramatically improves the odds for the mma fighter to win. Obviously the boxer would still be the overwhelming favorite, but taking away the big gloves hurts the more skilled fighter in my opinion
The MMA fighter has 0 chance to win in either case. Lol thinking MMA gloves would make any difference. Boxers are superior at everything about boxing including distance control, footwork, reflexes when it comes to avoiding punches, rolling with punches, and slipping punches, counter of punches etc. Blocking punches with the gloves is only a part of boxing defense. make the gloves smaller and instead of going 1-2 or more rounds the boxer will ko the mma fighter stiff inside a couple of seconds-minutes. to say otherwise is a joke. By the way most MMA fighters that i have seen train their boxing in those big gloves aswell lol.

Back