Watching Sumo & Judo in Japan

Regular Joe

Orange Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Might be going to Japan in the fall. Probably Octoberish.

Are there any opportunities for tourists to watch Judo or Sumo competitions in Tokyo?

Thanks!

I have no idea, but sumo wrestlers are badasses

To see Sumo, you have to go during one of the festivals. There is a major one in Tokyo every September.

If you want to buy a ticket, go to Lawson's convenient store or 7-11. There will be a ticket kiosk machine. It's all in Japanese, but you can just get one of the employees to help you buy a ticket. I've purchased tickets for DREAM, SHOOTO, and Sumo, and they've always been nice and helpful.

You can pick the price of the ticket you want. The seats get more expensive depending on how close you want to get to the ring and what kind of seating you prefer.

If you go in November, you could also watch the sambo worlds

I'd love to watch me some live Sumo.

never been to Japan, i hope to get out there for a visit someday!

To see Sumo, you have to go during one of the festivals. There is a major one in Tokyo every September.

If you want to buy a ticket, go to Lawson's convenient store or 7-11. There will be a ticket kiosk machine. It's all in Japanese, but you can just get one of the employees to help you buy a ticket. I've purchased tickets for DREAM, SHOOTO, and Sumo, and they've always been nice and helpful.

You can pick the price of the ticket you want. The seats get more expensive depending on how close you want to get to the ring and what kind of seating you prefer.

This is all true. However, tickets for weekends (and especially the last day) will sell out usually weeks before the day. So unless you plan on going during the week, you'd have to be here in Japan well in advance of the basho to go the convenience store route (for a weekend ticket that is).

The first week of the basho is the easiest to find tickets for, and you can get those at the convenience stores sometimes even on the day.

You can always order them in advance from the Sumo Kyokai website.

If you want to buy a ticket, go to Lawson's convenient store or 7-11. There will be a ticket kiosk machine. It's all in Japanese, but you can just get one of the employees to help you buy a ticket.

Absolutely DO NOT DO THIS!!!! Unless you want to wind up with tickets for Futanari Con or something similar.

Absolutely DO NOT DO THIS!!!! Unless you want to wind up with tickets for Futanari Con or something similar.

Not true at all. Convenience stores are fantastic for buying and paying for things in Japan. Ive paid for flights at family mart, amazon orders, tickets for all sports, and I pay all my bills there.

I've done it plenty of times and have had zero problems, mayne.

Not true at all. Convenience stores are fantastic for buying and paying for things in Japan. Ive paid for flights at family mart, amazon orders, tickets for all sports, and I pay all my bills there.

This was kind of one of those inside jokes that only I would get. When I was in school, the school bully was a karate blackbelt who competed in the Pan Am games and got silver. He was your classic bully -- hurt guys, hurt girls, was a raging homophobe. He came back from competing in Japan with a shirt with a slick image and some Japanese text that he loved more than life itself. I had to admit it looked frickin' awesome and he wore it everywhere. Then one day an exchange student let him know that it was a Gay Pride shirt.

This was kind of one of those inside jokes that only I would get. When I was in school, the school bully was a karate blackbelt who competed in the Pan Am games and got silver. He was your classic bully -- hurt guys, hurt girls, was a raging homophobe. He came back from competing in Japan with a shirt with a slick image and some Japanese text that he loved more than life itself. I had to admit it looked frickin' awesome and he wore it everywhere. Then one day an exchange student let him know that it was a Gay Pride shirt.

Hah !

Back