Watching MMA Boxing is so much more entertaining than real boxing match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, like i said, an MMA fighter that can box. i had never said that MMA boxing > Boxing. I also love the MMA gloves, small and fast, make the fight looks almost like a street fight!
Oh and boxing is riggered. I am serious, Sergey shoulda won that match. Love the US, but the American clearly favored Andre Ward.
I agree the Communist So(vietnam) Russia shouldve beaten the American Gold Medal Hero Andre Ward

I'm a bit conflicted when it comes to Hamed. He's definitely a special puncher in the sense of power, and his movement around the ring was very fluid, but his quality of opposition doesn't really set him apart as an ATG. But he's still pretty close so no argument from me.

it's exciting because often, "good" mma boxers have way better hands than their opponents so they make it spectacular. big skill disparencies still occur in stand up in mma. it's like a top boxer fighting a can, it will be exciting because it will be spectacular

Cody has solid boxing
Kelvin Gastelum is a great boxer
Conor ofc

Even Nunes threw her punches well against Ronda. She didn't over-extend and crowd her work like she used to in the past.

Eventually, MMA striking will catch up.

MMA striking will never catch up so to say. The sport itself has multiple aspects which prevent this. Threat of the take down, smaller gloves, kicks etc. Better striking by hands will always be boxing.

mma is unwatchable and is much easier to follow just watching gifs on the forums

Coming from a strong amateur boxing background too

giphy.gif

I'm not sure I'd say it's a strong amateur boxing background (insofar as that means anything) because there is precious little info on it that I've been able to find, but Garbrandt is definitely one of the better boxers I've ever seen in MMA.

Disagree with the OP (potentially a troll of course). MMA boxing is obviously far more sloppy due the lower skill level and I think potential for so many other attacks.

Might be similar to straight BJJ matches, they are far more pleasing to the eye than MMA grappling, perhaps because they don't have to worry about strikes and can go for more stuff.

I'm not sure I'd say it's a strong amateur boxing background (insofar as that means anything) because there is precious little info on it that I've been able to find, but Garbrandt is definitely one of the better boxers I've ever seen in MMA.

His wiki says he had an 11-1 amateur record though i though Mike Goldberg said he had a 31-1 record as an amateur (wouldn't be the first thing he's ever gotten wrong though lol)

His wiki says he had an 11-1 amateur record though i though Mike Goldberg said he had a 31-1 record as an amateur (wouldn't be the first thing he's ever gotten wrong though lol)

Yeah, I've tried looking it up. Not much of anything concrete to be found. No mention from any of the major national tournaments from what I can tell.

Yeah no national accomplishments, but 30+ fights is still impressive especially in his weight class, which would probably be 132lbs

I think I read somewhere that both jim and Gervonta Davis were training partners. They seem to be good friends

I briefly looked into it as well for past winners of the major national level tournaments (juniors and youth) but found nothing. This credential from his Wiki page, tapology, etc
  • ABA Junior boxing champion ('07,'08)
It isn't listed on his UFC fighter page, but, his PFC (MMA) championship, high school wrestling achievements and amateur boxing record (according to him, 32-1) are listed in his bio. It leads me to believe that it likely is that small time organization you mentioned in the UFC thread, the American Boxing Association.

That doesn't really matter, as you said. His results in professional MMA, especially at the highest level in the UFC, are what matter most. He does have some real boxing skill and didn't have to low kick Cruz to death to regularly connect and hurt him with his hands.

MMA striking will never catch up so to say. The sport itself has multiple aspects which prevent this. Threat of the take down, smaller gloves, kicks etc. Better striking by hands will always be boxing.

That's because you're comparing apples to oranges. The multitude of threats in a MMA fight make MMA boxing have real world application than boxing. That's why the stance doesn't resemble the traditional boxers stance.

Floyds stance would never work in MMA for a hundred reasons.

Boxing is a fight with very limited rules. A game.

MMA is a fight.

Eventually, MMA striking will look like the highest levels of kickboxing like Glory or k1.

That's because you're comparing apples to oranges. The multitude of threats in a MMA fight make MMA boxing have real world application than boxing. That's why the stance doesn't resemble the traditional boxers stance.

MMA is a fight.

Eventually, MMA striking will look like the highest levels of kickboxing like Glory or k1.
Oh please, mma has plenty of rules as well, mma is like being a gp, boxing is like being a surgeon. Is there nothing going on in mma worth talking about now that you guys need to pretend it's like street fighting?

MMA is a fight.

Bing, what are you doing here? I thought I told you to go fuck your mother.

Cody has solid boxing
Kelvin Gastelum is a great boxer
Conor ofc

Even Nunes threw her punches well against Ronda. She didn't over-extend and crowd her work like she used to in the past.

Eventually, MMA striking will catch up.

It won't catch up! Boxers work exclusively with hands, footwork, defence. MMA fighters train at least 4 different martial arts; they are generally a jack of all trades. Its laughable to think MMA fighters are suddenly going tro catch up with pro boxers when they don't put in the hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back