Watched Women's Rugby in the Olympics

jeffk

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Watched the US team and I have never seen women play rugby before.

It was obvious the US team lacked depth and didn't have the skills of the other team. Was fun to watch though.

Short match - 2 7 minute halfs. I would much rather watch women's rugby than women's soccer. The women were strong.

I wonder what would happen if the coach tried to recruit 2 tier women 200 meter runners rather than softball player or skier type players.

Did you see the UK - Japan game. The bald british chick absolutely rag-dolled a couple of Japanese chicks.

Chick soccer is unwatchable - FWIW. There are some talented players but that doesn't change the fact that it's one notch above the WNBA.

Yeah the US will have some athletes but not going to have the depth/skill of some
Of the traditional rugby countries. Australia and a few of the Pacific Island teams should run through most of the competition, much like with the men's team.

This is rugby 7s, a variant of union. The USA men's team are actually quite good, in 7s the pitch is much more open and you can rely on straight up athleticism much more than in the full game. Not that they don't have skill either. Of course they aren't anywhere near a team like Fiji but in 7s they are competitive. You should definitely watch the men's team.

Fun fact the USA is actually the defending gold medalist lol.

Rugby is awesome!

I had never watched womens rugby before, and as a regular viewer of mens rugby I was surprised at the coordination, athleticism and technique of the Australian womens team. In every other sport, not only is the womens team less athletic but they also seem less co-ordinated than the mens teams (anyone who has watched a WNBA game and an NBA game knows what I'm saying). If anything they looked sharper and more technically sound than the mens team. Well deserved Gold

I've been watching the women's sevens tournaments for a while so the athleticism on display comes as no surprise. Happy that the sport has gone down well with a wider audience.

I'd say the one area where the women lag behind is in the kicking game, this doesn't matter much in 7s and to my mind is a positive advantage in the 15 a side version as it encourages running rugby.

Men's starts today, kickoff at 12pm local time

Poor Brazil, they are hosts but gonna get destroyed by Fiji. Australia vs France should be very good too. And the US of A is playing Argentina.

Last edited:
Would love to see what some top RB's Receivers and DB's could do in rugby.

I am sure they would do well enough at 7s if they were given time to learn the game, they are great athletes and as I said that counts for a lot in 7s. Doubt they would have the skills or tactical nuance to play the full 15 man code though, case in point Carlin Isles. He only ever made an NFL practice squad but the point still stands as a general one.

He's very good in sevens with lots of open space and less tactical knowledge needed, but he couldn't cut it at the Glasgow Warriors when he tried to transition to the full game.

I am sure they would do well enough at 7s if they were given time to learn the game, they are great athletes and as I said that counts for a lot in 7s. Doubt they would have the skills or tactical nuance to play the full 15 man code though, case in point Carlin Isles. He only ever made an NFL practice squad but the point still stands as a general one.

He's very good in sevens with lots of open space and less tactical knowledge needed, but he couldn't cut it at the Glasgow Warriors when he tried to transition to the full game.

well any conversion to another sport will take time and dedication to get to top tier level. I would say if any athlete could transition the fastest, it would be NFL players to Rugby -- but would still take years and years...and years.

well any conversion to another sport will take time and dedication to get to top tier level. I would say if any athlete could transition the fastest, it would be NFL players to Rugby -- but would still take years and years...and years.

Perhaps, it'd be interesting to see one try. Like we got to see Hayne try NFL for a little bit (wish he had stuck with it for longer though, shame that NFL doesn't have any kind of tier 2 league other than college). But obviously there'd be no reason to.

There is Nate Ebner playing in the USA 7s team, but he was a rugby player first of all in high school I believe.

I implore you all to watch Fiji later/throughout the tournament though, it is rugby at it's best...any kind of rugby, not just 7s.

FiTP. Without massive cardio, would gas in minutes.

You are the only person that this story will make any sense to.:

Do they still have the Chariot race during Godiva week? One of my favorite things of ugrad. In my 3rd year we actually had a strategy with attackers and defenders. We had a significant lead on the back stretch in front of UC when a MECH varsity rugby player just destroyed 4 of our team in one run at our chariot. I mean this guy was just mowing down people left and right. Someone had to do something about this guy and it was up to me. Channeling Bobby Clarke in the '72 series breaking Valerie Kharmalov's ankle -- I jumped on this guy's back and went full on RNC. He was trying to shake me off (still standing) but I wouldn't let go. As he started gassing he finally fell straight to the frozen ground head first. With my weight on him still in full RNC he smashed the ground. I got off him, he tried to get up but fell back down.

I'm sure in today's safety first world an ambulance would have taken this guy away for a CT scan -- he just shook it off a minute later. This was a Rugby player who proudly wore a t-shirt that said "No brains, no pain".

Don't ask me if we won. All that mattered is that Rugby guy had to go down.

FiTP. Without massive cardio, would gas in minutes.

You are the only person that this story will make any sense to.:

Do they still have the Chariot race during Godiva week? One of my favorite things of ugrad. In my 3rd year we actually had a strategy with attackers and defenders. We had a significant lead on the back stretch in front of UC when a MECH varsity rugby player just destroyed 4 of our team in one run at our chariot. I mean this guy was just mowing down people left and right. Someone had to do something about this guy and it was up to me. Channeling Bobby Clarke in the '72 series breaking Valerie Kharmalov's ankle -- I jumped on this guy's back and went full on RNC. He was trying to shake me off (still standing) but I wouldn't let go. As he started gassing he finally fell straight to the frozen ground head first. With my weight on him still in full RNC he smashed the ground. I got off him, he tried to get up but fell back down.

I'm sure in today's safety first world an ambulance would have taken this guy away for a CT scan -- he just shook it off a minute later. This was a Rugby player who proudly wore a t-shirt that said "No brains, no pain".

Don't ask me if we won. All that mattered is that Rugby guy had to go down.

Hahah, hell yes it still goes down and its still pretty aggressive. Part of one of the only winning Eng Sci Teams

But i still think a lot of DB's, WR's and RB's would be dynamite at 7's - after they gain a bit more slow and sprint cardio.

Hahah, hell yes it still goes down and its still pretty aggressive. Part of one of the only winning Eng Sci Teams

But i still think a lot of DB's, WR's and RB's would be dynamite at 7's - after they gain a bit more slow and sprint cardio.

Likewise I think I lot of rugby centres, wings and full backs could be great at those positions in american football. The big difference is the tactics/playbook in american football, it's ridiculously specialized compared to rugby and that'd probably be the biggest sticking point. Learning all the different plays and how to read the offenses/defences is way different than most sports.

Back