watch my standup and help me with it please

ok i have a qualified instructor.and i do the hip movement but my right hand drops and when i try to do evrything realy perfect like in this video and when i try to keep my right hand up i cant get the hip movement.is it bad to drop your right hand while kicking ?

ok i have a qualified instructor.and i do the hip movement but my right hand drops and when i try to do evrything realy perfect like in this video and when i try to keep my right hand up i cant get the hip movement.is it bad to drop your right hand while kicking ?

If you're doing a full power roundhouse and torquing your hips and following through, then obviously you're gonna drop your hands and swing them the opposite way. It's impossible to get that much power and balance without dropping your hands. I don't know what video you're watching, but they 'drop their hands'(don't let a boxer tell you to keep your hands up, they don't know how to kick) in the american top team video.

If you're doing a full power roundhouse and torquing your hips and following through, then obviously you're gonna drop your hands and swing them the opposite way. It's impossible to get that much power and balance without dropping your hands. I don't know what video you're watching, but they 'drop their hands'(don't let a boxer tell you to keep your hands up, they don't know how to kick) in the american top team video.

Not true, you don't have to drop your hands to torque your hips, there's no correlation between the two. It's just a habit that most get into, I used to do it myself. Practice going through the motions of the kick slowly getting the hip rotation with the hands up. You have to recognize and acknowledge that you're doing it before you can correct it. Take the ATT video for example, the coach walked him through the concept slowly at first and as soon as the kid started getting it he got over excited with the new found power and started throwing kick after kick quickly abandoning a lot of the technique. One of my coaches used to drill into me, "Slow and accurate make you good and precise, fast and sloppy make you fast and sloppy". Spend some time here and there walking through your techniques (shadow boxing) in front of a mirror slowly making sure everything is where it should be. One benefit from slowing down is you'll start to understand body mechanics better.

Some people will tell you you should, that it helps torque the kick. Some will tell you you shouldn't, that keeping them up will protect your face. Follow whatever your instructor tells you on this. Since he is the guy who will be telling you that ur doing it wrong if you do it differently.

Not true, you don't have to drop your hands to torque your hips, there's no correlation between the two. It's just a habit that most get into, I used to do it myself. Practice going through the motions of the kick slowly getting the hip rotation with the hands up. You have to recognize and acknowledge that you're doing it before you can correct it. Take the ATT video for example, the coach walked him through the concept slowly at first and as soon as the kid started getting it he got over excited with the new found power and started throwing kick after kick quickly abandoning a lot of the technique. One of my coaches used to drill into me, "Slow and accurate make you good and precise, fast and sloppy make you fast and sloppy". Spend some time here and there walking through your techniques (shadow boxing) in front of a mirror slowly making sure everything is where it should be. One benefit from slowing down is you'll start to understand body mechanics better.

Show me a video of anyone doing a full power roundhouse without dropping the hands. Or a video of yourself. Because i haven't seen it. Hands keep you balanced and ready to throw more. They counter the torque of the hips and helps stabilize you when on one leg. You don't have to 'drop' the hands, but you obviously have to swing them the opposite way that you're twisting your hips, which basically is 'dropping' the hands since they aren't protecting your face/centerline anymore.

Ok thanks guys in this video i was trieing to do evrything as perfect as possibel thats why i failed the kick because i was trieing to hold my hands up. Ive taken another movie where im kicking again this time the way my instructor teached me and the way i kick normal and i clearly see the hip movment u guys describe when i compare the videos so only more jabbing now .
Posted via Mobile Device

Your video isn't available anymore. Given the advice you've received as well as the comments you've made, I'd say hold off on MMA competition. You're 15. You've got a long time to polish your standup and improve your ground game even further before most of your counterparts worldwide are legally allowed to take their first fight. Food for thought.

You don't have to 'drop' the hands, but you obviously have to swing them the opposite way that you're twisting your hips, which basically is 'dropping' the hands since they aren't protecting your face/centerline anymore.

Dropping the hands is dropping the hands. Rotating the shoulders the opposite direction of the kick to create torque is different. I'm referring to dropping the hands below the butt or behind the back in order to throw a round kick, is not neccessary.

Dropping the hands is dropping the hands. Rotating the shoulders the opposite direction of the kick to create torque is different. I'm referring to dropping the hands below the butt or behind the back in order to throw a round kick, is not neccessary.

Show me a video then, or someone doing a kick without dropping the hands just so i know what you're talking about.

What's the point of not dropping the hands, if the hands aren't protecting the face/centerline anymore?

Back