watch my standup and help me with it please

Revold

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,im almost 15 years im 143 .lbs(65 kilo) i am thinking of starting competing in mma october,im training mma for 1 year and 4 months in a gym 2 times a week for 2 hours.and i run skip rope train on the heavybag almost evrey day.
now my problem is my standup sucks im better on the ground thats why i made this vid i hope u guys can tell me what i can do to improve.
The heavy bag weights around 165 lbs(75 kilo).
So i am looking for some feedback that actualy can help me not just you suck or somthing like that.
p.s. sorry for my bad english.
YouTube - me training on the heavy bag

Last edited:
hit a muay thai gym if u can and get working on pads(not bags).its much more productive and will condition your arms and shin and improve technique.good luck

I wouldn't use high kicks yet in your competition, as they are a little slow. Also, you need to turn your hips over more when kicking, and don't lean back so much. You may need to work on your flexibility to avoid this. Practice low kicks (it looks like the bag is long enough), and attempt to put them into combinations with your punches. It doesn't look like you have too much room, but you need to practice striking from different distances, as it appears you simply stand up close and throw hooks.

Throw many more jabs.

thanks guy im abit out of condition because i dident train for a month thats why im abit slow now and its verry hard to land kicks or move around the bag because i really have verry less space.Any more tips??

As soon as you can afford to, invest in a pair of superbag gloves, and some 180" Mexican style handwraps. You can damage bones, ligaments, and tendons, even at your age.

:icon_chee

swivel your hips more when kicking. Your not doing any damage. Drop the same right hand behind your back to help with the swivel motion (alot of people dont agree with this, but it helps) Jab alot more

Thanks guys do u think il be ready in october to go in the ring my ground game is really good.

Honestly anyone can do well farting around on a bag, give us a sparring video to critique. And not one with a buddy in a backyard. As my coach tells me, "If you're going to do this do it right , make it perfect, or don't waste my time". I'm not trying to be mean but the reality is is there are so many teenage boys who want to do this job. In my home town 90-95% of these kids who step into the cage never do it again.

I'm curious as to what kind of gym you're in. Do you have a coach and if so why isn't he/she/they giving you advices? If you don't have a coach get one fast. At your age and experience level you're not going to learn much from instructional video's, you need a coach to stand over you and correct you. If you can't afford one get a job. If you have a dream do everything you can to achieve it that includes putting yourself in a financial position to be able to get the training, knowledge and equipment you need to be successful.

Yeah, if you don't have a coach, try hard to get one and train at a good gym.

I like your hooks for the most part, but the lack of jabs and incorrect/bad kicking technique is a problem others have already pointed out. Just try to mix it up more with the punches and kicks (I have trouble doing this too) and keep everything tight.

And yeah, I wouldn't recommend using MMA gloves on the heavy bag.

Yeah. He's right. You gotta really let loose in order for anyone to really see anything. Its hard to judge when your tapping the bag, barely breaking a sweat.

Belgium. Well good luck and listen to these people posting. How frequently do you spar? Make a conditioning postof some sort and condition your shins. Work the hell outa the low kicks. Get to a gym and train your ass off there. Find some fighters and see which gym around is best. Here in America many end up having not so pleasant experiences as their first fights because of improper coaching, or none at all.

yes i train in a gym and i do have a coach but there isnt a training in august.
he says im doing alright but i need some more standup,and when i look at other vids of myself i see i do the hip movment u all describe when kicking but i drop my right hand i tried to keep my hand up in this vid maybe thats why i dont do that hip movement. is there anyway i can keep my hand up and do the hip thing??also my coaches say that i do good on the pads when they give me a combination that i need to do.And one of my big problems is in sparring that i just keep jabbing but i never do more how can i get closer to my opponent because i am the youngest smallest guy in my gym its verry hard to get closer because their arms are much longer.and thanks guys for the tips im really liking them.and for the guys that are asking fighting a mma match is a dream for me.
p.s. sorry for my bad english.

@Deathmonkey and i never watched a instructional video lol and im not one of those wannebe kids in their backyard im training in an mma club for more then a year now but my standup isnt good.

you have good hook punches.and Karate people keep there hands up while kicking and some muay thai and kickboxing schools do also.

Try using a lead leg kick as a distraction to close the distance on taller opponents. Follow with a two punch combination and then cut an angle and get the hell out of his close range. Practice "covering the cap" so you don't eat a ton of punches. Elbows and forearms together hands on top of head. You can still get caught with hooks but it'll save you a few straight shots. Keep your hands up at ALL times like you're ready to catch a baseball.

Ok, I was hesitant to jump in here with any training critiques, because it is way too premature to try to describe what needs improvement, and nearly impossible to explain it over a computer and without professional instruction. This is what hip torque and roll over looks like when properly delivering a kick.

Here is a short Youtube video clip of an instructor at American Top Team demonstrating it to a student. The clip starts zoomed in, but as they steady it and zoom out, you will see what I am talking about.

"Notice the hip torque and hip roll over."

Here it is:

YouTube - Power Leg Kick Instructional at American Top Team

Ps. This is why you need qualified instruction.

:icon_chee

Last edited:
Back