Watch/Critique My Fight! (LI Pride X)

Neuro

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
On September 12th, a few weekends ago. I'm in the white gi, it's my first competition, been training about 6 months. Wasn't too nervous, and wasn't upset when I lost, but just motivated me to train harder and do better next time! I just really wanted to compete, and was so happy that I enjoyed it. I wanted to roll more afterwards haha.
Hats off to my opponent, who was both a great guy and a good competitor.

A note:
- I've gone over with the higher belts at my school how I should've addressed chin-cup/guillotine he was holding in my side control. You can't really see it, but I'm trying to go to North-South and he's just not letting me, so then I just tried to cross-face/choke him, and he didn't budge. They showed me head-arm control/cross-face choke that I should've gone for, and I just didn't really think/know to do that at the time. I certainly do now.

Obviously, I've reviewed this video a ton and have lots of my own ideas, but can't wait to hear your guys!

Thanks so much for any help.

could stand to use work on side mount retention. it's something i'm working on as well . . . i'm a smaller guy (140) so it's easy to capitalize on me especially if i'm being sloppy. getting rolled over is the shittiest feeling.

strong shoulder to his face to pin his head away from you usually helps to control them better. still, a lot of the time i tend to be transitioning to either n/s or the opposite side sidemount because i feel like i get bucked easily . . . bad idea for me to insist on keeping that position.

what did you tap to?

it was a guillotine, essentially, though it was in the typical anaconda/d'arce position (before rolling). I should've addressed the choke before trying to take the double leg/ride the pipe, etc.

Hips down in side control for sure, your ass was up pretty high.

Fight the hands when around your neck

You could have maybe used a wrestlers sit out to attempt to escape from refs position or whatever its called just before the choke.

Did you watch the Sherk vs. Dunham fight last weekend? Sherk had some great sit outs to help escape the chokes.

here is a good video for you on the sit outs. Starts around the 1:30 mark.

Last edited:
Hips down in side control for sure, your ass was up pretty high.

Fight the hands when around your neck

You could have maybe used a wrestlers sit out to attempt to escape from refs position or whatever its called just before the choke.

Did you watch the Sherk vs. Dunham fight last weekend? Sherk had some great sit outs to help escape the chokes.

thanks for the advice man, especially hips down in side control. I did not watch the Sherk fight, but I love doing wrestler sitouts-- I just didn't think to do it at that time. I drill them all day long, ironically.

it was a guillotine, essentially, though it was in the typical anaconda/d'arce position (before rolling). I should've addressed the choke before trying to take the double leg/ride the pipe, etc.

well, if it was a no arm in sub, was more likely a power guillotine, where you use the d'arce choke grip.

yeah man, that was a good battle! definitely work on your side mount base...getting rolled like that shouldn't happen anymore! once you negated his escape attempt, and solidified your position, it would have been cake getting him to release your neck.

yeah man, that was a good battle! definitely work on your side mount base...getting rolled like that shouldn't happen anymore! once you negated his escape attempt, and solidified your position, it would have been cake getting him to release your neck.

thanks man! Yeah, I'm working on it-- can't wait to compete again.

you would have won had you kept your hips down low. everytime you attempted a sweep or reversal you'd end up with your hips hi and he'd go back to position. This is good though. I'm sure this won't happen to you again and that's the beauty of competing. You realize what you did wrong.
Your take-down was really good and even the first attempt.

you would have won had you kept your hips down low. everytime you attempted a sweep or reversal you'd end up with your hips hi and he'd go back to position. This is good though. I'm sure this won't happen to you again and that's the beauty of competing. You realize what you did wrong.
Your take-down was really good and even the first attempt.

Thanks a lot bro. Yeah, I'm injured now, but I can't wait to get back. The arm-drag to leg-trip is probably one of my favorite takedowns, and I was alright with getting the single leg off of it, rather than seatbelt control (Marcelo has an awesome video on this).

Thanks a lot for your feedback

Great takedown man! Good work!! it sucks that you lost though..
I roll in a gym where eveyrone is 10-15+kg's heavier than me, and keeping your hips low when on top is one of the first things i learnt the hard way haha but im sure you'll never forgot about that now

Been training for about a year and a half now and am really scared to compete lol i dont know how i will react when i loose in a comp. Loosing while training is fine and dandy, i get fucking smashed in training everyday, dont remember the last time i tapped someone lol but loosing in competition after all that hardwork and when everyone is watching might shatter me lol dont know how i would feel after!

So your a brave man for competing my friend!

Obviously the takedown was nice. When you're in top side control and he has that guillotine on the other side, that shouldn't have worked for him. There is no way for him to choke you from there and you know the only thing he can do is hulk out and try to roll you. You should have been ready to base there and like everyone said your hips are too high. That contributes to you getting rolled over. It looked like you were pushing on his shoulder or upper arm when he had your head encircled. Instead of that put your forearm closest to his head on his neck to choke him and pull back a bit with your body. It will break the grip. When you do that try to keep his arm on the same side of your head with his upper arm trapped against the side of his head. Set up a far side arm triangle.

After you got rolled you did a good job of getting half guard. He never got a chance to work from side control.

At 1:32 he is extremely off balance. Instead of pushing on his waist, hook his leg with your arm, pinch down on his underhook on the other side, bridge and roll him. You would have swept him effortlessly. The way you did it worked but it was a struggle.

After you swept him your momentum is carrying you towards getting rolled again and you did. He rolled you the same way he did it before. Once again you did well to recover half guard.

At 1:54 you are in a bad half guard position. He is in a good position to pass. Instead of wrapping your arm around his head like you did which doesn't do anything useful and puts you at risk of being put in a horrible position (if he moved his head so it was on the other side of your arm, he is in a perfect position to pass to mount or far side arm triangle you), put it against his neck and bridge into him.

He then gives you back the underhook when he tries to push down on your leg. That pass really wasn't good. Instead of doing that one armed guillotine thing he should be crossfacing the shit out of you and driving his head to the mat. Anyway I digress. Once you get the underhook back you use it to go to your knees but I think you should have just played half guard. He was off balance the whole time he was in your half guard and at no point was he close to a pass. No need to give him a front head lock position there unless you're some super wrestler and you're going to plant him on his back like nothing.

With the choke I don't really know what that was, but you were slow in addressing it. Always protect your neck first, worry about preventing him from taking your back second, work on getting a better position by taking him down or pulling guard third. You put the takedown first and didn't protect your neck.

Overall it was pretty good. You were successful in reclaiming half guard from side control on several occasions. You have a knowledge of what to do in positions. I'm referring to how you always look for the underhook in half guard. Setting all of this stuff aside if you were more conscious of not getting rolled you probably would have won easily.

Last edited:
Great takedown man! Good work!! it sucks that you lost though..
I roll in a gym where eveyrone is 10-15+kg's heavier than me, and keeping your hips low when on top is one of the first things i learnt the hard way haha but im sure you'll never forgot about that now

Been training for about a year and a half now and am really scared to compete lol i dont know how i will react when i loose in a comp. Loosing while training is fine and dandy, i get fucking smashed in training everyday, dont remember the last time i tapped someone lol but loosing in competition after all that hardwork and when everyone is watching might shatter me lol dont know how i would feel after!

So your a brave man for competing my friend!

Thanks man, I appreciate your comments. Yeah, keeping my hips low is certainly something I picked up from the match-- how to escape from that head-control crossface (i.e. when someone guillotines you and you pass their guard but they keep holding on) was the first thing I asked my instructors and training partners about.

As for competing, just look at it as a way to improve man-- don't think about losing or winning. Even if you want to have an amazing competition record, and be a Mundial/ADCC/No-Gi Worlds 17x champion, nobody is gonna stress on how you did in your first white belt tournament (or second, or third). That being said, I know how you feel, and I take my jiu jitsu very seriously. I wasn't upset when I lost, I was pleased with how I did-- but just upset that I lost in that way, cause I could and should have been able to overcome it. Hats off to the guy I competed against, he was a really cool guy and a great competitor (we spoke for a while afterwards). What I'm saying is, just train hard and do it and don't get upset if you lose-- it's all good.

Once you're out on the mat, you kind of just want to roll/fight and you're not as much concerned about everyone watching (or at least that's been my limted experience thus far).

Obviously the takedown was nice. When you're in top side control and he has that guillotine on the other side, that shouldn't have worked for him. There is no way for him to choke you from there and you know the only thing he can do is hulk out and try to roll you. You should have been ready to base there and like everyone said your hips are too high. That contributes to you getting rolled over. It looked like you were pushing on his shoulder or upper arm when he had your head encircled. Instead of that put your forearm closest to his head on his neck to choke him and pull back a bit with your body. It will break the grip. When you do that try to keep his arm on the same side of your head with his upper arm trapped against the side of his head. Set up a far side arm triangle.

After you got rolled you did a good job of getting half guard. He never got a chance to work from side control.

At 1:32 he is extremely off balance. Instead of pushing on his waist, hook his leg with your arm, pinch down on his underhook on the other side, bridge and roll him. You would have swept him effortlessly. The way you did it worked but it was a struggle.

After you swept him your momentum is carrying you towards getting rolled again and you did. He rolled you the same way he did it before. Once again you did well to recover half guard.

At 1:54 you are in a bad half guard position. He is in a good position to pass. Instead of wrapping your arm around his head like you did which doesn't do anything useful and puts you at risk of being put in a horrible position (if he moved his head so it was on the other side of your arm, he is in a perfect position to pass to mount or far side arm triangle you), put it against his neck and bridge into him.

He then gives you back the underhook when he tries to push down on your leg. That pass really wasn't good. Instead of doing that one armed guillotine thing he should be crossfacing the shit out of you and driving his head to the mat. Anyway I digress. Once you get the underhook back you use it to go to your knees but I think you should have just played half guard. He was off balance the whole time he was in your half guard and at no point was he close to a pass. No need to give him a front head lock position there unless you're some super wrestler and you're going to plant him on his back like nothing.

With the choke I don't really know what that was, but you were slow in addressing it. Always protect your neck first, worry about preventing him from taking your back second, work on getting a better position by taking him down or pulling guard third. You put the takedown first and didn't protect your neck.

Overall it was pretty good. You were successful in reclaiming half guard from side control on several occasions. You have a knowledge of what to do in positions. I'm referring to how you always look for the underhook in half guard. Setting all of this stuff aside if you were more conscious of not getting rolled you probably would have won easily.

Wow dude, thank you so much for your comments. I haven't even absorbed all of it yet, and I've read it three times.

You echoed what my instructor said to me, and I've been trying to work on that stuff. I like your hierarchical breakdown of 1. neck 2. back 3. better position. You mean that from standing, as well as sitting, right?

Yeah, when I watched the takedown again, I realized that the thing I messed up on was my head placement for the single leg. I learned and perfected that from watching Marcelo's videos, and obviously when he takes the single leg off a missed arm-drag-leg-trip, he does it flawlessly.

You mention my half-guard game, and grabbing for underhooks, but that I should've stayed and played half-guard-- man I totally agree, I just hate my half-guard game, both bottom and top. Since the tourney (though I was injured for a bit after it) I've been working on my half-guard, a few passes, and then the whole theory behind the bottom game. At this point though, I'd rather have someone in my closed guard, and I'd even rather BE in closed guard, because I'm pretty confident in my breaking and passing from there. Rather be in open or butterfly, too, than half-guard.

I'm gonna watch the match again tonight and review it with your notes. I greatly appreciate them man!

edit: Yeah, and as for him guillotine-ing/chin-cupping me from side control, most people that aren't new just let a guillotine go after you pass their guard (as you can't choke from side control) so I honestly didn't know more than one way to defend it, besides waiting it out. At one point, if you watch closely, I do put my forearm across his throat and try and yank my head out, but he just kept holding on. I tried to go to North-South as well (I love North South) but he just held on SO tight. My teammates showed me how you can just wrap your arms around in the regular side-control positon, and cross-face choke with your shoulder though, in case anyone ever does this again.

sorry you lost, but it's good that you're getting a lot of feedback from it. i hope you do better next time. my thoughts are shared with the majority: i think you should have started to peel off the arm around your head when you first ended in side control (which was a great scramble you did to get into that position) and to get the hips low. if you had done that, i think a mount would've been imminent.

Back