Watch Corey Spinks vs Verno Phillips plus Devon Alexander For Free Tonight

Holy fuck, Phillips with the SD?

I mean...he was landing the harder much more effective punches but he didn't land nearly as many...I guess that's just a judgment call. Fuck me sideways I thought Verno was gonna get basically shut out. But I like to see workrate rewarded over sparing pillowpunch combos.

Phillips didn't come close to deserving it. I gave him 3 rounds in the fight, but hey, whatever. Most entertaining Spinks fight ever.

WHOA!

Maybe not to some, obviously not the the judges, but I have spinks by 3 rds.

Anyone see that?

I didn't even think that would happen.

115-113 116 112 Phillips 115-113 Spink SD

EDIT: I can't get my 5's and 3's tonight. I had spinks by 3, but that's just me. There were some close rounds, but this decision surprised the hell outa me.

I completely agree Surgefactor. I'm not sure how on earth he won that decision I had it a near shutout too but congrats to Verno.

war verno I love it when shot guys win,this is oscars next fight

So the decision should have gone to Spinks? Anybody think we need a rematch here?

So the decision should have gone to Spinks? Anybody think we need a rematch here?

It wasn't an overly exciting fight...but probably Cory's most exciting he's ever had. It got interesting after the 6th where Verno started to land more and lured Cory into fighting with him on the inside instead of falling for the "I'll swing wildly and eat 5 punches from the outside" schtick. The decision was questionable but I don't see a rematch going any differently, the only difference being the judges might give it to Spinks.

Frankly I was shocked they gave it to Verno based solely on the fact they were in Cory's backyard. I thought "Jeez, verno's gonna have to knock him out to win, because no way is a close decision going his way in St. Louis" but wow I am very surprised.

At no point was Verno hurt, or even close to it, whereas Spinks was taking some big punches at times...so I dunno. Very subjective decision in that regard...there's 2 ideologies conflicting there as to how you score a fight. I don't want a rematch though.

NO VERNO RETIRE ON TOP and it would be cool if he did.Verno was the guy that always just fell short in big fights.

It wasn't an overly exciting fight...but probably Cory's most exciting he's ever had. It got interesting after the 6th where Verno started to land more and lured Cory into fighting with him on the inside instead of falling for the "I'll swing wildly and eat 5 punches from the outside" schtick. The decision was questionable but I don't see a rematch going any differently, the only difference being the judges might give it to Spinks.

Frankly I was shocked they gave it to Verno based solely on the fact they were in Cory's backyard. I thought "Jeez, verno's gonna have to knock him out to win, because no way is a close decision going his way in St. Louis" but wow I am very surprised.

At no point was Verno hurt, or even close to it, whereas Spinks was taking some big punches at times...so I dunno. Very subjective decision in that regard...there's 2 ideologies conflicting there as to how you score a fight. I don't want a rematch though.

Thanks for the info. I, too, was surprised that Phillips won a decision in Spinks' hometown. Like you said, it sounds like the judges preferred Phillips' style to that of Spinks.

Thanks for the info. I, too, was surprised that Phillips won a decision in Spinks' hometown. Like you said, it sounds like the judges preferred Phillips' style to that of Spinks.

And it's a trend I'm seeing more nowadays. Time was, pepper-punching slick boxers could pretty much count on a wide UD over guys with the style of say Phillips, who throw wild and land more rarely but with more pop. Now, I'm seing more of a Pride-FC style scoring shift where guys who "come closer to finishing" are rewarded, as the focus is more and more on HOW you win in addition to IF you win. Verno was looking for the KO all night long whereas you could obviously tell Spinks was just trying to take it deep and outlast him. Two of the judges agreed that the guy who was looking for the KO and came closer to it when he DID land should get the close rounds. It's an intriguing shift in the way boxing is scored. It's tough to take a side on it because on one hand, I like seeing workrate rewarded, and I like guys who really do WANT to finish fights. On the other hand, I feel like guys with low power but slick skills are not getting the proper respect from the fans or commentators/judges.

Nothing wrong with going out on top......
totaly,most of the time you see fighters keep on fighting when clearly its not in their best interest,in vernos case whats the point ? he is not gonna get another big win like that.if he still keeps fighting I would get a match with a semi big name for money OUMA springs to mind,why not mayorga ?

And it's a trend I'm seeing more nowadays. Time was, pepper-punching slick boxers could pretty much count on a wide UD over guys with the style of say Phillips, who throw wild and land more rarely but with more pop. Now, I'm seing more of a Pride-FC style scoring shift where guys who "come closer to finishing" are rewarded, as the focus is more and more on HOW you win in addition to IF you win. Verno was looking for the KO all night long whereas you could obviously tell Spinks was just trying to take it deep and outlast him. Two of the judges agreed that the guy who was looking for the KO and came closer to it when he DID land should get the close rounds. It's an intriguing shift in the way boxing is scored. It's tough to take a side on it because on one hand, I like seeing workrate rewarded, and I like guys who really do WANT to finish fights. On the other hand, I feel like guys with low power but slick skills are not getting the proper respect from the fans or commentators/judges.

I know what you mean about slick, high workrate guys not getting enough credit when going against power punchers. It's very subjective and unless some kind of standardized system is devised, it's going to keep being subjective.

Phillips won't stay champ for long, can't wait to see James Kirkland destroy him. Hell I bet Yuri Foreman could beat him too.

The title of this thread was a relief... because it's getting way too expensive being a die hard cory spinks fan, paying $50 every time to see him fight....

The title of this thread was a relief... because it's getting way too expensive being a die hard cory spinks fan, paying $50 every time to see him fight....

when have you paid to see him fight on tv?

Back