Wasted talents

Paul Spadafora
He is like 49-1-1 his lone loss came at the end of his career when he was abusing drugs
He used to call out Mayweather and there is actually footage of him beating the shit out of him in the ring, knocking mayweather down and making him quit while mayweather was using him to train for a fight
He is the poster boy for wasted talent imo
Where is it, I wanna see

thanks, i didn't see a knockdown. Mayweather wasn't doing very much and sparring stories are hard to gauge anything by. Mayweather said he beat whitaker and Frankie Randall every time they sparred, there is also a story that whitaker beat Camacho so bad at Kronk that Camacho went and choked him against a ring rope. One thing i can tell you for sure is that sparring when you're out of condition is no fun, i remember sparring a guy and he was so impressed that he asked me to spar again about 3 months later, 20 pounds heavier and no conditioning, I told him i wasn't up to it but we did it anyway to my embarrassment. Sparring is a funny, awkward thing and there really aren't any clear lines about what to do and what not to do, and even when there are, they don't seem to be all that conformed to. Earlier, i came across a Ray Leonard clip where some no talent landed a head shot, and ray, being ray, put some great bodyshots on him that had him on the floor. Ray was a mean bastard but the guy was told not to throw anything to the recently operated on eye/head.

thanks, i didn't see a knockdown. Mayweather wasn't doing very much and sparring stories are hard to gauge anything by. Mayweather said he beat whitaker and Frankie Randall every time they sparred, there is also a story that whitaker beat Camacho so bad at Kronk that Camacho went and choked him against a ring rope. One thing i can tell you for sure is that sparring when you're out of condition is no fun, i remember sparring a guy and he was so impressed that he asked me to spar again about 3 months later, 20 pounds heavier and no conditioning, I told him i wasn't up to it but we did it anyway to my embarrassment. Sparring is a funny, awkward thing and there really aren't any clear lines about what to do and what not to do, and even when there are, they don't seem to be all that conformed to. Earlier, i came across a Ray Leonard clip where some no talent landed a head shot, and ray, being ray, put some great bodyshots on him that had him on the floor. Ray was a mean bastard but the guy was told not to throw anything to the recently operated on eye/head.
There wasn’t a knockdown, I haven’t seen vid in a long time, the image if mayweather on the floor from exhaustion after 6th round must have stuck in my head as a knockdown,
I don’t know what condition Mayweather was in this spar session but in another video they said he was in shape and that he and his dad brought Spadafora to embarrass him, but he got schooled, especially after the third round on
They said this was the last time they ever let anyone bring a camera to record any of his spar sessions again
Spar sessions are definitely different then the real thing, but it’s still interesting and Mayweather never talked about fighting again after that session
There is another video on YouTube that goes mire into detail what happens if you want to check it out

There wasn’t a knockdown, I haven’t seen vid in a long time, the image if mayweather on the floor from exhaustion after 6th round must have stuck in my head as a knockdown,
I don’t know what condition Mayweather was in this spar session but in another video they said he was in shape and that he and his dad brought Spadafora to embarrass him, but he got schooled, especially after the third round on
They said this was the last time they ever let anyone bring a camera to record any of his spar sessions again
Spar sessions are definitely different then the real thing, but it’s still interesting and Mayweather never talked about fighting again after that session
There is another video on YouTube that goes mire into detail what happens if you want to check it out
sure.

A mod in this forum, Sinister, is a trainer in Vegas, so he has inside info in this kind of stuff.
He said that the Paul's and Floyd's trainers were friends (Jesse Reid was Roger's trainer) and this video was leaked in purpose to hype Spadafora up.
He needed the publicity.

One thing for sure though. Floyd was sparring 15 rounds of 3-5 minutes each some times, with multiple partners.
It's not difficult to envision that some fresh boxer, would best him when it's his turn to spar Floyd.

Last edited:
A mod in this forum, Sinister, is a trainer in Vegas, so he has inside info in this kind of stuff.
He said that the Paul's and Floyd's trainers were friends (Jesse Reid was Roger's trainer) and this video was leaked in purpose to hype Spadafora up.
He needed the publicity.

One thing for sure though. Floyd was sparring 15 rounds of 3-5 minutes each some times, with multiple partners.
It's not difficult to envision that some fresh boxer, would best him when it's his turn to spar Floyd.
i wouldn't doubt it, personally, i think it's cheap for fighters to do that kind of thing but as 've said, it's the way it is a lot of the time. It's sparring, in theory, it's suppossed to stop just short of a real fight but close enough to sharpen up both guys, so, they are suppossed to be working together, not fighting.

Also, everyone has a different philosophy, Ali generally didn't fight his sparring partners and just worked on what he wanted to work on. Tyson used to go to war in his early sparring, Hagler sounded like he liked rough sparring. I knew a former Duran sparring partner and he was quite fond of Duran and it seemed that Duran liked him too, that's the way it's supposssed to work.

If James Toney had a better work ethic and was willing to live a healthy lifestyle he could have been one of the greatest ever. He will still be remembered as an absolute badass and great counterpuncher who went all the way up too HW and was able to handle freaking Holyfield (ok, an old one, but that version of him got still robbed vs Valuev) on the inside and made him look silly.
Golota is a huge waste of talent, if he wasn't a mental midget he would have been the HW champion of the world by beating Bowe, who many saw as the man to beat at that time.

Andre Ward - the lost years in contractual disputes and being really dirty too many times when he really didn’t need to be.

Still an ATG though.

In two weeks time, Usyk will have fought Tony Bellew and Chaz Witherspoon in the past two years.

Waste of a talent.

I always heard the Spadafora jokes in relation to Floyd, now I know whats up. He was getting handled lol

It’s been said many times in here that Floyd had had his hands in sparring on a regular basis. The guy trains hard, that’s part of his success when it matters the most.

Paul Spadafora
He is like 49-1-1 his lone loss came at the end of his career when he was abusing drugs
He used to call out Mayweather and there is actually footage of him beating the shit out of him in the ring, knocking mayweather down and making him quit while mayweather was using him to train for a fight

Fits this thread for sure.

Just read that he shot his pregnant girlfriend in the stomach.

Sounded like he had a very rough upbringing with one of his parents dying of a drug overdose when he was still young.

I believe that was an exhibition. Kind of an ass move.

Paul Spadafora
Meh, no fighter ever got the mileage out of a sparring session that Spadafora did. I think the guy gets way too much credit for a sparring session. At his peak, he struggled to beat Angel Manfredy. Look what Floyd did to Manfredy. He lost to a guy Arturo Gatti rolled over.

Victor Ortiz; talented and skilled, but too much of a headcase

It doesn't feel quite right to say his name but I'd mention Mike McCallum. He never got a chance to get into the mix with the four kings.

The Black Murderers Row just came to mind

It doesn't feel quite right to say his name but I'd mention Mike McCallum. He never got a chance to get into the mix with the four kings.

Speaking of names who don't sound quite right in here I'd add Benitez. Crazy talent and remarkable achievements, but had his career been handled differently (ie not fighting against this many grown-ups in unsanctioned bouts when he was 15 or 16, and spending more time in the gym) he may have done even better against the big 4 and pay a lower price healthwise.

Last edited:
Back