WashPo Editorial: "The CIA funded a culture war against communism. It should do so again."

I've been keeping an eye on it.

I give Trump and his government credit for having the balls to pull this off. Now, while I'm pretty sure that Obama (not necessarily Clinton) would've also tried to address problem, he would've probably gone about in a more roundabout, indirect way, possibly by seizing trade deals with China's closest allies. That America ended up going "straight for the jugular", was somewhat surprising to me. There's a lot of money at stake and a lot of pissed off investors who are losing money in the short-term, atleast. Usually their lobbying puts an end to any such attempts.

It's quite far away from my own country and president which recently had China's leader here and praised China for being an "ecological powerhouse". What a laugh.

For the most part, he's done an exemplary job and it's probably the 'single' greatest action he'll end up taking in office considering the ramifications it has on America's future and place in the world. I am still at a loss for words on why he allowed ZTE to survive considering how few things cut deeper at the legitimacy of the regime more than loss of employment, but it was a hell of an example to make and it blew enormous holes in China's perceived tech prowess - as compared to the United States.

It's far more all-encompassing than a mere 'trade war' or reducing a deficit and I almost couldn't care less about that. I'm also not exactly the biggest fan of the billionaire class and their infamous IP patent rights (I'm kind of a Sozi). I tend to put the likes of top-down industrial and cyber theft of sensitive national security and defense contractor data, trade secrets from vital domestic sectors America spawned and economic security depends on as well as the forced technology transfers above the rest.

But I suppose that's to be expected when you're a lilliput next to a megalith.

Barz.

The CPC has no need to take everything away from hundreds of millions of people. They'll just make an example of the few, and the rest will fall in line. I believe you severely under-estimate the authoritarian power of the Chinese government, when called upon. But because of its stable social order, there has been no need for them to wave the stick. Except when it comes to a bunch of Muslims that the world doesn't care about.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...appears-spraying-ink-xi-jinping-a8455166.html

Human rights groups have rallied around the cause of a Chinese woman who disappeared after she sprayed ink on a photograph of president Xi Jinping.

Dong Yaoqiong, 29, was last seen during a live-stream she posted on social media in which she defaced a public poster of the country’s leader.

In the two-minute video, which has been shared widely since her disappearance, Ms Dong tells the camera: “Behind me is a portrait of Xi Jinping. I want to say publicly that I oppose the tyranny of Xi Jinping’s dictatorship and the brain-control oppression imposed by the Chinese Communist Party.”

She then splashes black ink over the face of Mr Xi before saying defiantly: “Xi Jinping, I’m right here waiting for you to arrest me.”

Ms Dong has not been seen since and her Twitter account has been deleted.

Now, international rights groups say Ms Dong’s father and a prominent activist and artist, both of whom were trying to raise awareness online of the 29-year-old’s disappearance, have also been abducted.

giphy.gif

(she got committed to a psych ward)

@ShinkanPo

Good, we should fight a totalitarian ideology that killed more than one hundred million person.
Got to love a guy who is 100% confident in his facts despite a grammatical error rate of one per every seven words.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...appears-spraying-ink-xi-jinping-a8455166.html

Human rights groups have rallied around the cause of a Chinese woman who disappeared after she sprayed ink on a photograph of president Xi Jinping.

Dong Yaoqiong, 29, was last seen during a live-stream she posted on social media in which she defaced a public poster of the country’s leader.

In the two-minute video, which has been shared widely since her disappearance, Ms Dong tells the camera: “Behind me is a portrait of Xi Jinping. I want to say publicly that I oppose the tyranny of Xi Jinping’s dictatorship and the brain-control oppression imposed by the Chinese Communist Party.”

She then splashes black ink over the face of Mr Xi before saying defiantly: “Xi Jinping, I’m right here waiting for you to arrest me.”

Ms Dong has not been seen since and her Twitter account has been deleted.

Now, international rights groups say Ms Dong’s father and a prominent activist and artist, both of whom were trying to raise awareness online of the 29-year-old’s disappearance, have also been abducted.

giphy.gif

(she got committed to a psych ward)

@ShinkanPo

Just shows how "psychology" can be subverted to serve the state's interests. The "healthy" people are those who work with the government, while the "mentally ill" are those that oppose it.

It was done in DDR and the Soviet Union, not surprised to see China follow the example.

Then again I suppose it was American men like this who truly established the foundations for all that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Ewen_Cameron

Cameron started to distinguish populations between "the weak" and "the strong". Those with anxieties or insecurities and who had trouble with the state of the world were labelled as "the weak"; in Cameron's analysis, they could not cope with life and had to be isolated from society by "the strong". The mentally ill were thus labelled as not only sick, but also weak. Cameron further argued that "the weak" must not influence children. He promoted a philosophy where chaos could be prevented by removing the weak from society.

Just shows how "psychology" can be subverted to serve the state's interests. The "healthy" people are those who work with the government, while the "mentally ill" are those that oppose it.

It was done in DDR and the Soviet Union, not surprised to see China follow the example.

Then again I suppose it was American men like this who truly established the foundations for all that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Ewen_Cameron

Cameron started to distinguish populations between "the weak" and "the strong". Those with anxieties or insecurities and who had trouble with the state of the world were labelled as "the weak"; in Cameron's analysis, they could not cope with life and had to be isolated from society by "the strong". The mentally ill were thus labelled as not only sick, but also weak. Cameron further argued that "the weak" must not influence children. He promoted a philosophy where chaos could be prevented by removing the weak from society.

He was Scottish! Not 'Murican. :rolleyes: :p

Whatever he was, it's pretty scary to think that guys like this laid down the foundations for modern psychology.

Along with people like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Asperger#Nazi_involvement

Not a stellar human being.

Haha I was being blatantly facetious eschewing 'blame', all whities are and cluster with euros on a molecular genetic level but he was obviously American in terms of nationality and presumably culture. That's some absolutely horrid shit though.

Please describe this "totalitarian ideology." Be specific.

Then we can tackle your regurgitated "100 million person" talking point.

Communism, which leads to totalitarianism.

Pretty easy. Next question.

An opinion and article so asinine and silly that it could only be written by someone with a name like Sonny Bunch, a guy who presumably is so passionate about having shitty political opinions that he bypassed a sure-fire career as a kids cereal mascot.

It's bad enough that American right-wingers and liberal ideologues want to insist on allowing dark money to surreptitiously fund nonprofits, "grass roots organizations," and think tanks without any public knowledge (@Fawlty take a look at the "One Nation America" nonprofit shilling for Josh Hawley whose financial backing I cannot discover) - but now they're wanting the fucking CIA to dip its dirty dick back into the arts to try to destabilize foreign nations (namely China) with reductive American propaganda.

Earlier this month, “Sorry to Bother You” director Boots Riley tweeted, “Art for arts [sic] sake is never for arts [sic] sake-it’s for the sake of the status quo. This is why the CIA funded Jackson Pollack [sic].” Set aside the vaguely totalitarian suggestion that art must, by its nature, exist either in support of or opposition to the political establishment. Today, I’d like to focus on the CIA’s involvement in the Cold War’s culture war and think back to a better time, when ideas were taken seriously and art was considered transformative — and keep in mind the ways in which the agency could help artists struggling to break through overseas today.

Those interested in the CIA’s covert cultural war should check out “Who Paid the Piper?” by Frances Stonor Saunders. Granted, it’s an unrelentingly negative portrayal of the efforts by Michael Josselson, Nicolas Nabokov and others to funnel money from the CIA into the hands of artists and intellectual journals that highlighted the Western world’s commitment to individual freedom. But if you can set aside the author’s biases, you’ll discover a fascinatingly byzantine effort to turn the world to the American way of thinking via pen and paint rather than munitions and murder.

The CIA at its founding was largely run by Ivy Leaguers, would-be highbrows and intellectuals. It makes sense that they’d have been attracted to the ideas of men like Melvin Lasky, the consummate Cold Warrior who pushed for the founding of a magazine designed to bridge the gap between the West and the rest. According to a postwar memo by Lasky submitted to the U.S. Army, journals like Der Monat would serve “as a demonstration that behind the official representatives of American democracy lies a great and progressive culture, with a richness of achievements in the arts, in literature, in philosophy, in all the aspects of culture which unite the free traditions of Europe and America.”

Magazines like Der Monat and English-American literary-political journal Encounter were not the only activities supported by nonprofit pass-throughs such as the Farfield Foundation and the Ford Foundation. The CIA-backed Congress for Cultural Freedom brought the Boston Symphony to Europe (at the cost of $166,359.84, according to Saunders) and sprang for publication and distribution of “at least a thousand books,” according to a 1977 report in the New York Times. The books included translations of T.S. Eliot’s poems, Boris Pasternak’s “Doctor Zhivago” and Machiavelli’s “The Prince,” according to Saunders.

And, yes, there was support for abstract art of the sort championed by Pollock. “On display will be masterpieces that could not have been created nor whose exhibition would be allowed by such totalitarian regimes as Nazi Germany or present-day Soviet Russia and her satellites,” bragged Museum of Modern Art advisory committee member James Johnson Sweeney about an exhibit there. While the Soviets were stuck producing realist works of art dedicated to illustrating the glories of the latest five-year plan, American artists were free to pursue whatever vision they chose — even if that vision was denounced by some conservative legislators as “anti-American.” Amusingly, there was no better demonstration of the West’s commitment to freedom than the fact that members of Congress could condemn abstract art as wicked and do nothing to stop its dissemination.

The CIA remains fond of abstract art; Carey Dunne highlighted the agency’s Melzac Collection at the George Bush Center for Intelligence two years ago for Hyperallergic. Canvases filled with lines and dots and swirls still hang on the agency’s walls, a testament to triumphs past.

But the moving picture remains the most visceral and, perhaps more important, accessible art form. As Saunders notes in her book, the United States has long worked to up the number of films accepted in foreign markets through trade deals. Others have taken a more guerrilla approach to spreading the cinematic gospel; consider efforts by the Human Rights Foundation to raise awareness of the Kim Jong Un-mocking film, “The Interview,” in North Korea via balloon.

Which brings me to back Riley and “Sorry to Bother You.” The director has in recent weeks complained of not being able to obtain foreign distribution for his entertaining new picture. This is understandable (indies often have such troubles) but unfortunate. The movie’s messages would resonate in China, the world’s second-largest market. After all, “Sorry to Bother You’s” WorryFree corporation — which houses and feeds workers in factories to increase productivity — seems a dead ringer for Foxconn, the “forbidden city” where Chinese workers manufacture Apple devices. The movie’s messages might appeal to people in a nation where poets and artists and activists are imprisoned for bucking the leadership’s diktats.

If the CIA were looking for a way to have some fun in the cultural space, they could do worse than distributing Riley’s opus: Commission a top-shelf translation for the subtitles, bang out some samizdat DVDs, and upload the film to as many file sharing and streaming services as possible. How better to demonstrate the unfettered freedom artists have in America to criticize the system? “Sorry to Bother You” might even spur Chinese citizens to take action against the Communist Party-backed businesses that dominate commerce in the state.

Naturally, any efforts by the CIA in such matters should remain quiet; one wouldn’t want to put the artists behind the film in the awkward position of knowingly benefiting from the CIA’s largesse. But a little subterfuge is a small price to pay in service of winning the culture wars.

I just want to make sure we're on the same page. That wall of text was in support of the CIA? Not the actual CiA, but the 1950's CIA?
Are you expecting people to support in this regard? These are the project Mockingbird days.

I'm not sure how ridiculous you think either the left or the right are, but the CIA has it's own agenda.
Nobody supports them.

Honestly tho, XI has to be the most powerful man in the world by a fair distance taking into consideration not only his titles and level of power to be exerted domestically, but the economic, militaristic and technological status China has been able to achieve as a geopolitical entity. It's kind of remarkable to have a dictator in the modern era leading a country with that much global influence. Fucking Putin? Russia's economy is smaller than three individual US states.

* President of the PRC
* General Secretary of the CCP
* Chairman of the Central Military Commission

The country, the party, the armed forces.

As well as being sole leader of the CLG for:

* Financial and Economic Affairs
* Foreign and Taiwain Affairs
* Central National Security Commission
* National Defence and Military Reform
* Integrated Military and Civilian Development
* Internet Security and Informatization

Honestly tho, XI has to be the most powerful man in the world by a fair distance taking into consideration not only his titles and level of power to be exerted domestically, but the economic, militaristic and technological status China has been able to achieve as a geopolitical entity. It's kind of remarkable to have a dictator in the modern era leading a country with that much global influence. Fucking Putin? Russia's economy is smaller than three individual US states.

* President of the PRC
* General Secretary of the CCP
* Chairman of the Central Military Commission

The country, the party, the armed forces.

As well as being sole leader of the CLG for:

* Financial and Economic Affairs
* Foreign and Taiwain Affairs
* Central National Security Commission
* National Defence and Military Reform
* Integrated Military and Civilian Development
* Internet Security and Informatization

I want to get this down.

You think the most powerful person in the world is from China or Russia.

Clown shoes

Aside from setting up Quantum magazine, I'm not sure how much of a role the CIA played in anti-communist actions in Australia. Especially in relation to culture wars.
In terms of think tanks, I haven't seen any credible evidence that the Atlas Network was a CIA project.
I'd be more interested in knowing whether they played a role in ousting the Whitlam government in '75.
Even if they were credited with everything that's suspected of them, they'd be hard pushed to apply similar methods effectively in China. With the language barrier, there's much less cultural saturation than we see in the anglosphere.

Aside from setting up Quantum magazine, I'm not sure how much of a role the CIA played in anti-communist actions in Australia. Especially in in relation to culture wars.
In terms of think tanks, I haven't seen any credible evidence that the Atlas Network was a CIA project.
I'd be more interested in knowing whether they played a role in ousting the Whitlam government in '75.
Even if they were credited with everything that's suspected of them, they'd be hard pushed to apply similar methods effectively in China. With the language barrier, there's much less cultural saturation than we see in the anglosphere.

Lol, Nicely played.

A guy called Trotsky supports Communism. Who would've thought?

Regardless, the CIA already tries to subvert China but it isn't working very well and their spies got killed.

The CIA vs the PRC is NHI.

No Humans Involved;)

Good old Trotsky
Defending fucking China

An opinion and article so asinine and silly that it could only be written by someone with a name like Sonny Bunch, a guy who presumably is so passionate about having shitty political opinions that he bypassed a sure-fire career as a kids cereal mascot.

The only thing funnier than that is this post being made by a guy who's handle is "Trostky" and who's AV is a picture of Thomas Sankara. Just for reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Sankara

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back