Washington DC - Clubs to Visit?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Higher Learning, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Higher Learning

Higher Learning Brown Belt

Hey Guys, I have a company conference in DC this August and obviously want to take full advantage of the free flights and accomodation to do as much grappling as possible while I am there...

I have googled and there seems to be a few clubs inc a Yamasaki affiliate, does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for me? worth mentioning that this is my first trip to the US and i am completely unfamiliar with exactly where DC is in relation to anywhere else :icon_conf

I will probably stay for about a week after the 3 day conference finishes and would definitely consider travelling a little to train if its worth it.. :D

2. DaRuckus337

DaRuckus337 Black Belt

I was just down in DC over the weekend and swung by Fifty/50 in Arlington (it's across the street from a metro stop). Good gym, nice people, great training - definitely worth checking out if you have the time.

3. laohu69

laohu69 Blue Belt

Well, DC encompasses a large geographical area.
    There's a thread about schools in Baltimore you can check out (Bmore is only 20 miles or so from DC) that lists several schools in the area. But after reading all the acrimoniuos posts in that thread I'm not sure that I would want to visit most of the schools. The attitude of the students posting was less than stellar.
    Of course there are several Lloyd Irvin schools in the area. Regardless of how one feels about his marketing techniques he does turn out quality students.
    There's Ground Control & Fifty/50, which are mentioned in the Bmore thread.
    There are 3 Relson Gracie schools in the DC area- In-Base-Jiu-Jitsu in Fairfax (VA), Fightworks in Sterling (VA), & Calvert MMA Academy in Southern MD.
    There's a Pedro Sauer affiliate school in Gaithersburg- Jeffgordonmma.

Since I train @ Calvert MMA I'm biased towards the Relson Gracie schools. :icon_chee

4. AboveThisFire

AboveThisFire Green Belt

50/Fifty should be at the top of your list.

There's also Fairfax Jiu Jitsu (Yamasaki) which is run by David Jacobs.

In-Base Jiu Jitsu in Fairfax run by Tony and Jim.

Tony Passos has a school in the area (I forgot exactly where).

Luis Pantoja has a school in D.C. that's a Yamasaki school as well.

Lloyd Irvin schools everywhere, but since you're here for a limited time maybe try and visit his main school in Maryland.

5. KahleyTriangles

KahleyTriangles Blue Belt

I visited:

50/50 (Ryan Hall)
    Yamasaki (Luis Pantoja)

Both awesome places to train, people are great, and really accessible via Metro. In fact both schools are literally steps away from their respective Metro stops.

6. DeOpresoLibre

DeOpresoLibre Orange Belt

Yamasaki, Leo Dalla, Novamma (Lloyd Irvin schools) , 50/fifty, united, Capital, so on

7. Enhance

Enhance White Belt

Come check us out - Yamasaki Academy, Washington DC under Luis Pantoja.

We are in the heart of NorthWest DC literally across the street from the Woodley Park Metro station.

You can check us out at www.bjjdc.com, and our youtube page at YouTube - YamasakiJJ's Channel to get a sense of what and how Luis teaches.

Hope to see you!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  8. Irishspirit

Irishspirit White Belt

9. anaconda

anaconda Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Tony Passos BJJ (new website so the final one is being built as we speak).

Of course this depends on where you are. If you are in DC proper I would train at 50/50 in arlington (metro accesible if you don't have a car). Great school, great instruction, great environment.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  10. DirtyCrabcakes

DirtyCrabcakes Orange Belt

I have a couple of friends that train at Captial Jiu-Jitsu (I am not sure which branch) and they have nothing but good things to say about the place.

Depending on where you are staying in DC, the main LI school may be a bit of a hike.

11. mesa

mesa Orange Belt

attn: Capital Team

Ryan Hall's post about Capital

12. Higher Learning

great! thanks for all the updates guys

will definitely try to check out 50/50, Yamasaki and wherever else I can make it to :icon_chee

13. delt16

delt16 Blue Belt

Your link doesnt go anywhere. Is this a troll attempt?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  14. anaconda

anaconda Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Look if you're in DC, and you want something close by, just go to 50/50. We don't need to get into all the drama and stuff. Suffice it to say if you don't want to go too far from DC, go to 50/50. If you want to go out a little further, you are welcome to come out to sterling and train with us.

That would be my recommendation. There is also Luis Pantoja (Yamasaki) and Nakapan (Lloyd) in DC. Thats pretty much all you need to know :)

15. Higher Learning

thanks dude i appreciate the invite & info.. i honestly am clueless about exactly wher i will be or how i am going to be getting around (i don't think i want to drive on the wrong side of the road :-|)

when i get more info from work abot where i'll be etc i'll hit up google/googlemaps and orientate myself.. . i'd love to check out 2-3 clubs if possible

i did read that thread on captital bjj, ryans post was pretty clear

16. Fedorzilla

Fedorzilla Brown Belt

Luis Pantoja in DC is awesome. There's a decent amount of cross-training that happens between Yamasaki guys and 50/50 from what I have heard. It's all close together and folks are all cool.

17. delt16

delt16 Blue Belt

Ok i got the link to work. Wow Ryan seems really pissed at us. I wonder if there is a back story to it.