Was Wilt Chamberlain the GOAT of basketball?

Wilts strength, and abilities have reached mythical levels. He's up there with Bruce Lee. Wilts often cited as a track and field superstar, but the facts suggest otherwise. His claim to have benched 500 pounds is beyond ridiculous, given the length of his arms. I take everything i see and read about wilt with a grain of salt, and instead watch him play basketball.
Give these a watch if you haven't seen them. Even the outlandish claims are based off the fact that Wilt was strong af. If you google "strongest players in NBA history" you'll notice a theme at the #1 spot.

Palming a 16 lb bowling ball lmaooo

Lmao @ these Wilt Nut huggers.

In that case I think Giannis is probably the GOAT tbh. He's the best player in the NBA at its most developed state.
I think Giannis is much better than wilt, yes. Wilt was a bullshit artist that people take for fact. All of his made up track accolades back this up. Wilt was the best player of his generation, but his generation was trash. Also, I miscalculated last time. Wilts 50 ppg season, pace and minutes adjusted stats translate to 29.6/12.1 in 2019.

That's Joel Embiid numbers

I think the 20,000 women he laid the pipe in has to be top of the list. Maybe he threw a few BBW in there but I bet most were fit to fuk with large natural bushes.

Multigenerational Athletic Talent
<DisgustingHHH>

I think Giannis is much better than wilt, yes. Wilt was a bullshit artist that people take for fact. All of his made up track accolades back this up. Wilt was the best player of his generation, but his generation was trash. Also, I miscalculated last time. Wilts 50 ppg season, pace and minutes adjusted stats translate to 29.6/12.1 in 2019.

That's Joel Embiid numbers
How did Wilt get so many respected people to bullshit for him all these years??

I appreciate that calculation, but I think its meaningless. The game is just played too differently now. If we're not going to judge players against their peers, then the top 10 players of all time are all playing in the NBA currently.

How did Wilt get so many respected people to bullshit for him all these years??

I appreciate that calculation, but I think its meaningless. The game is just played too differently now. If we're not going to judge players against their peers, then the top 10 players of all time are all playing in the NBA currently.
Yes the game is played differently now. It's not high school level talent

Yes the game is played differently now. It's not high school level talent
The NBA has never been high school level talent. Its relative. We can't expect 1960s ballers to have 2020 skill sets. If I choose to view the debate from your perspective then Wilt is not a top 100 basketball player of all time. Maybe not top 500. He played too long ago. He would get laughed off the court playing like that.

Growing up, heard all sorts of stories about wilt and his records, and many dismissed his weak era. But with YouTube, I sort have went down the wilt rabbit hole with some impressive stats and info.

he runs a 4.4 40 yard.... insane for a 7’ giant
48” vertical, so he’s very tall and has the most impressive vertical in all of NBA.
Assist leader for two years
Bill Russell claims was the best to ever play.
Ran faster than NFL hall of fame Jim brown
7’8” wingspan
Was asked to stop scoring at the end of his career to allow for his team mates to score. Average center during his Era was 6’11
MVP and rookie of the year and has the highest PPG that year that nobody else has surpassed.
2000 rebounds in a season
Only player to win scoring and rebounds record in the same season, and did it six times.
only player to score 40 points AND have 40 rebounds in a game and he did it 6 times.
Bench 600lbs
Tricep extensions of 170lbs, while Arnold and his buddies could only do 150.
Ran a 10.9 100yard
High jump of 6’11”
Triple jump of 50ft

his athletic + physical traits far surpass any human alive, past or present.
He did not run a 4.4 40-yd dash. A ton of the alleged athletic achievements you see quoted for Wilt are bullshit. It's been like this since I was a kid. Don't know why.

Top 3 are pretty much set in stone, now: Jordan, Kareem, Lebron.

He isn't, but he'd find success in todays league. Big men are weaker than ever, but he wouldn't have the same mysticism about him because the 3 ball would shoot him out of the gym time after time.

He did not run a 4.4 40-yd dash. A ton of the alleged athletic achievements you see quoted for Wilt are bullshit. It's been like this since I was a kid. Don't know why.

Top 3 are pretty much set in stone, now: Jordan, Kareem, Lebron.
Ya 4.4 is ludicrous. So is the 48' vert & those track numbers too. But I do believe he's the most gifted athlete who ever lived.

Ya 4.4 is ludicrous. So is the 48' vert & those track numbers too. But I do believe he's the most gifted athlete who ever lived.
He was one of the most gifted athletes in history, but it's just stupid how many fish stories get told about his ability.

He didn't run a 4.4. He didn't bench 600 lbs. He didn't high jump 6'11". He didn't run a 10.9 100m. He didn't triple jump 50-ft. All of those are bullshit.

He was one of the most gifted athletes in history, but it's just stupid how many fish stories get told about his ability.

He didn't run a 4.4. He didn't bench 600 lbs. He didn't high jump 6'11". He didn't run a 10.9 100m. He didn't triple jump 50-ft. All of those are bullshit.
Don't forget his most important stat bro! 20,000

I could maaaybe buy the 10.9 & a 500lb bench. I don't think they're outside the realm of possibility. No way he's high jumping 6'11 pre-fosbury flop tho

I’m sure a lot has been exaggerated, but there’s no doubt that he was the most dominant player ever in his era which has to count for something - just based on that I think he has to be somewhere in the top 10

A lot of people have mentioned that you can’t really compare him against today’s players without imagining him growing up with the same advantages - I mean just imagine this guy with Tinder, he’d have plowed thru 100k easy

Don't forget his most important stat bro! 20,000

I could maaaybe buy the 10.9 & a 500lb bench. I don't think they're outside the realm of possibility. No way he's high jumping 6'11 pre-fosbury flop tho
I did an epic thread on this years ago. Spent hours researching and pouring through links while trying to find official records. The Wiki on him proved to be the most inaccurate, misleading Wiki I have ever read. So much bullshit got through. It was hilarious how much of it was a hall of mirrors: bad references and footnotes to dead links. A lot of the links that were still live themselves had no reference, or were linking to a link of a link that was a dead end. One even referenced a newspaper article from the modern day that linked back to the Wiki, ROFL! Some misquoted the figure cited in the link.

I even tried looking through old newspaper articles about events in which he competed, and peeled through the records maintained by the schools he attended, or the track associations in which he competed. For example, the highest official high jump he ever recorded that I could find he recorded was 6'6", not 6'11".

With his arms don't even buy a 500lbs bench press. It wasn't like he was trained for the technique to bench with a shirt. His arms were a mile long. I could buy 400, but I'm skeptical he could do even that.

Back