Was Weidman Subbing BJJ Black Belts After Only 3 Months of Training?

Q: "Was Weidman Subbing BJJ Black Belts After Only 3 Months of Training?"
A: No, not in the sense that he could do it on a regular basis. At least not against active competitors (retired or non-competing black belts are obv a different ball park).

Q: "Is it possible that Weidman happened to sub BJJ Black Belts After Only 3 Months of Training?""
A: Yes, very possibile if not probable. Out of pure beastness and ground prowess he definitely could have done that even against high level competitors.

Good response.

People need to understand two things, being a blackbelt doesn't mean you're some unstoppable machine, many blackbelts are not professional athletes, they are just your average joe with a 9-5 job that trained for a long time. He obviously will know his stuff, and will destroy any sherbro but will have trouble with a professional athlete.

I know many blackbelts that are also lawyers, doctors, engineers, etc. Of course they will not be able to stand against a professional athlete, even considering same size.

That doesn't mean their gym is a mcdojo either, you don't need to be Demian Maia, Jacar

In the same sense that Fedor with no training* could hang with bjj black belts.

*bjj traning

Took more than 40 posts for someone to post the answer. He is a life-long grappler, not a guy training for 3 months. This isn't 1993 and we need to let go of this idea that every art has no cross-over to every other art. Grappling is grappling.

In other news, Sakuraba subbed black belts (even "Gracie black belts" as worded by our local dojo salesman in this thread) with "0 months of training."* <mindblown.gif>
*in a BJJ dojo with a Gracie logo on it

- from a Gracie Barra guy

Took more than 40 posts for someone to post the answer. He is a life-long grappler, not a guy training for 3 months. This isn't 1993 and we need to let go of this idea that every art has no cross-over to every other art. Grappling is grappling.

In other news, Sakuraba subbed black belts (even "Gracie black belts" as worded by our local dojo salesman in this thread) with "0 months of training."* <mindblown.gif>
*in a BJJ dojo with a Gracie logo on it

- from a Gracie Barra guy

Hm, but there is a much bigger difference between the catch wrestling sakuraba practiced and bjj and between american folkstyle wrestling and bjj, as Sonnen may attest :icon_lol:

However, yeah, having a grappling background always translates in some way to another grappling art. Matt Hughes, Phil Davis, Weidman, just a few examples of the top of my head of guys who transitioned well from wrestling to submission/mma grappling.

There is also the reverse case, Demian Maia is a bjj guy with very good takedowns from the clinch, he took down Sonnen and Story, both accomplished wrestlers with ease.

I wouldn't disbelieve it.

I always think a ridiculously good wrestler with even a basic understanding of BJJ, wins that fight. Submission defence, is a lot easier when you're the dude smashing down from top position, defending triangles and kimuras with strength and awareness.

If the BJJ guy gets top position, situation changes. That will never happen with a guy like Weidman.

Would love to see Jacare vs Weidman go to the ground. holy shit.

Wait what? The Chris has fought on the ground against every opponent he's ever fought.

Yeah but he doesn't actively look for the takedown/subs. He fights standing until he's wrecked someone or they can't stand anymore and he finishes.

Wasn't there rumors that Brock Lesnar who might as well be a white belt tapped 4th degree blackbelt gabriel gonzaga a fews years ago in training or something? It's possible that wrestlers with minimal training can tap black belts.

Kurt Angle said when he rolled with Lesnar even in the WWE he was very well versed in subs.
I wish Angle came to MMA after he won the Olympics. Toughest dude. His shot was so quick as well.

Yeah but he doesn't actively look for the takedown/subs. He fights standing until he's wrecked someone or they can't stand anymore and he finishes.
Have you watched a Weidman fight ever lol. He has more takedown and submission attempts than pretty much every fighter on the roster.

Chris Weidman:
Takedown Average: 3.75 per fight
Submissions Attempts: 1.2 per fight

To put that in perspective for you, Weidman attempts an equal amount of submissions per fight as Demian Maia does. Werdum attempts 1.4 per fight.

Only Jacare attempts a ridiculous amount more submissions than the above.

Last edited:
Sure it's possible. I remember reading or hearing from somewhere that Weidman used to put work in as a wrestling partner for BJJ guys/MMA guys before he ever trained MMA himself, and for exchange of showing his wrestling stuff, the others would show him submissions and basic BJJ principles. He was already giving legit purple belts real trouble in rolling before he had even had his first formal BJJ class.

Should be noted that his wrestling game, a lot of which was based on front headlock and head control, translated very well into submission wrestling when you take his long ass arms and sheer physical prowess into question. I mean what the fuck, the guy caught Galvao in a fully locked up D'arce choke, but sadly for Weidman, Galvao knows his escapes and is very hard to choke out.

yeah, we are aware but still
Good response.

People need to understand two things, being a blackbelt doesn't mean you're some unstoppable machine, many blackbelts are not professional athletes, they are just your average joe with a 9-5 job that trained for a long time. He obviously will know his stuff, and will destroy any sherbro but will have trouble with a professional athlete.

I know many blackbelts that are also lawyers, doctors, engineers, etc. Of course they will not be able to stand against a professional athlete, even considering same size.

That doesn't mean their gym is a mcdojo either, you don't need to be Demian Maia, Jacar

TS, you need to be more specific.
A BJJ black belt is one thing.
A GRACIE BJJ black belt is something else. .

Let's not get silly. No one believes this stuff any more.

Kurt Angle said when he rolled with Lesnar even in the WWE he was very well versed in subs.
I wish Angle came to MMA after he won the Olympics. Toughest dude. His shot was so quick as well.

Would've been great to have seen both of them train for MMA early, and watch them fight in their healthy prime.

TS, you need to be more specific.
A BJJ black belt is one thing.
A GRACIE BJJ black belt is something else.
That said, nope, weidman cannot sub a gracie bjj black belt in a bjj match with 3 months, 6 months or 2 years of training. A random bjj black belt, who knows.
Lol

Weidman is a beast but let's not forget about his wrestling base. I'm sure ppl like Matt Hughes was tapping out black belts within a few years of training. Obviously Hughes is a beast too but they're not on some BJ Penn shit.

Back