Was Weidman Subbing BJJ Black Belts After Only 3 Months of Training?

If the black belt got his promotion at a local mcdojo and was some part time substitute teacher without much athleticism. You know, that regular 5'10 180 pound guy that's skinny fat but trained since he was a teen. Then here comes 6'3 200 pound D1 wrestler Weidman with 3 months training to wreck his world.

In the same sense that Fedor with no training* could hang with bjj black belts.

*bjj traning

James Toney almost tapped out Dean Lister with only 1 month of training

If the black belt got his promotion at a local mcdojo and was some part time substitute teacher without much athleticism. You know, that regular 5'10 180 pound guy that's skinny fat but trained since he was a teen. Then here comes 6'3 200 pound D1 wrestler Weidman with 3 months training to wreck his world.
20090906103614_IMG_0297.JPG

James-Brasco-220x300.jpg

chris-weidman-attacking-james-brasco.jpg

Ya'll just gotta get over it.

Given that he was already an elite grappler and athlete when he started training, I don't see what's implausible about this.

Well Pro athlete caliber life long wrestler who knows a couple of basic subs could definitley beat a average or low caliber black belt .

Weidman is a stellar submission wrestler. What's his gi-track record in comps?

Wiedmans legit on the ground in all aspects and his striking is solid too. Theirs a reasons hes a champ and destroyed anderson.

Sure its possible, especially in grappling and ADCC tournaments. There are different levels of a bb, depends where it came from as well

I've honestly never once met a BJJ 'mcdojo' faux black belt, competing at a tournament.

I cannot count the times I've seen advanced guys sandbagging, I wouldn't call it unusual. Over many years I've never seen the reverse.

Do you (or anyone) honestly know advanced / black / brown competitors who show up unprepared?

It's not that surprising. Wrestlers have several advantages over most bjj black belts. Plus if you're rolling with the same guys all the time, you tend to notice their weaknesses over time, even if you aren't that good. The lesser skilled guy is bound to catch them eventually.

Yeah, because gracie black belts are like mythical figures who can't possibly be tapped by lifetime wrestlers who are amazing athletes and spend a few months training with experts on how to apply submissions

In unrelated news, Matt Lindland submitted Travis Lutter(a gracie black belt) 7 years before being awarded his purple belt
isn't Lutter at Japanese JJ black belt and not a BJJ guy?

Anyways Weidman is a true prodigy on the ground and everyone who goes against him should be scared of him there.

Wasn't there rumors that Brock Lesnar who might as well be a white belt tapped 4th degree blackbelt gabriel gonzaga a fews years ago in training or something? It's possible that wrestlers with minimal training can tap black belts.

If I remember right Matt Hughes subbed Renzo Gracie with "an old wrestling move"

Yeah, because gracie black belts are like mythical figures who can't possibly be tapped by lifetime wrestlers who are amazing athletes and spend a few months training with experts on how to apply submissions

In unrelated news, Matt Lindland submitted Travis Lutter(a gracie black belt) 7 years before being awarded his purple belt

I was very impressed with what he showed on the ground against Silva.

it was surprising at the time that he gave up position to go for a leg lock, but i think that tells us how confident he is in his ground game. ballsy.

Weidman is more of a bjj prodigy than bj ever was

Back