Was Weidman Subbing BJJ Black Belts After Only 3 Months of Training?

machidafan99

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So says a YouTube promo vid.
Can a top wrestler really submit legit Gracie BJJ black belts after three months of training?

"But Luke has better bjj,he will sub him"

GIF--laughing-funny-LOL-haha-hehe-hilarious-fun-happy-laugh-Joe-Biden-GIF.gif

So says a YouTube promo vid.
Can a top wrestler really submit legit Gracie BJJ black belts after three months of training?

Its possible I guess, but he did do very well in grappling with in a few months.
He almost subbed Galvao in competition but went on to losing.
I THINK it was after less than a year training BJJ. But not 100% sure.

He was also dropping boxing heavyweight champions with body shots during training after 3 months

From wikipedia.

"Weidman met Gabriel “Monsta” Toribio while attending Hofstra who invited Weidman to come to Matt and Nick Serra's BJJ Academy to help some of the fighters with their wrestling. Weidman also took some jiu-jitsu classes and within three months he competed in and won The East Coast Grappler's Quest in his weight class and the Absolute Division with all 13 matches ending in submissions."

He was submitting black belts in competition within 3 months of BJJ training.

"After winning the ADCC East Coast Trials, Weidman qualified for and competed at the 2009 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championship (with 1 year of formal Jiu-Jitsu training) in Barcelona where he lost a quarter-final match-up to world-renowned Jiu-Jitsu practitioner Andr

All I know is that every fighting authority that has trained with him or fought him and spoken on it does nothing but rave about how advanced he is. From career grapplers like Roger Gracie to contenders like Rory McDonald and Wonderboy to UFC champions like DC, on and on and on it goes...

"People who know, know how good Chris Weidman is."

-Daniel Cormier

Wasn't it Weidman who went to world class BJJ competitions really early on?

Yes, its not very surprising.

Freak wrestlers like that often pick up Jiu Jitsu rather quickly.

black belts? probably not. He won a Grappler's Quest and other competitions after 3 months of BJJ but I don't think those were in the most advanced division.

If he subbed all the people he faced in the ADCC trials, then he must have subbed a black belt or two.

“Let me tell you something about the ground game and jiu-jitsu. All you un-athletic people out there, you know this for a fact. Little kids learn jiu-jitsu. Women learn jiu-jitsu. You don’t have to be an athlete to know jiu-jitsu. You have to be an athlete to wrestle in college or walk into a boxing gym and have competitive boxing matches and fight people. You just have to be a bitch and lay on your back to know jiu-jitsu. I mean, come on. It’s the truth.”

– Tank Abbott

Weidman is a monster. One of the very best grapplers in mma.

that's the word out there. seems much more realistic that Jones watching Ali videos on Youtube and beating strikers up on the feet.

But you know Brian Stann is the most honest man in the country, so that just goes to show how fucking incredibly holy-shit-wtf Jones is.

He's already in GOAT talks and he only NOW started to train seriously.

It doesn't surprise me someone like Weidman with wrestling pedigree subbing BJJ blackbelts in 3 months of training.

Throw in a gi and it's a different story.

Why does this surprise anyone. The guy is a freak, talented athlete. His physical gifts gives him huge advantages where his technical knowledge might have been lacking. Also, his wrestling and positional dominance allows him to neutralize most of those BB anyway

It's Chris fuqin Weidman so he probably could have. He's strong as chit and probably slip a guillotine to some poor 165 pound soaking wet black belt who couldn't handle his strength.

weidman is a fucking monster

well, hes the MW GOAT for a reason

TS, you need to be more specific.
A BJJ black belt is one thing.
A GRACIE BJJ black belt is something else.
That said, nope, weidman cannot sub a gracie bjj black belt in a bjj match with 3 months, 6 months or 2 years of training. A random bjj black belt, who knows.

"But Luke has better bjj,he will sub him"

rockhold looks good against subpar competition and suddenly hes better than weidman

hes slick and pretty good but weidman is probably on another level

rockhold looks good against subpar competition and suddenly hes better than weidman

hes slick and pretty good but weidman is probably on another level

pure grappling-wise, yes. Luke Rockhold is more accomplished.
Won 2 world BJJ championships in the same year(2 different weightclasses, each class ina different belt color).

Weidman is such a beast.
Top class bjj and out strikes Silva Machida & Vitor. Insane.

Rockhard will be a great tough fight. Can't wait.

That said, nope, weidman cannot sub a gracie bjj black belt in a bjj match with 3 months, 6 months or 2 years of training. A random bjj black belt, who knows.

I think Weidman could submit some gracie BJJ black belts. He had Galvao in danger of being submitted.

It would be cool if you read the thread before posting.
Being able to almost sub Galvao after a year of training is pretty big.
I bet you Weidman would sub some gracie black belts in BJJ.

It doesn't surprise me someone like Weidman with wrestling pedigree subbing BJJ blackbelts in 3 months of training.

Throw in a gi and it's a different story.
BOOM! Agreed that Chris is a stellar wrestler and I could certainly see it being possible to sub guys within 3 months. Not sure that would be possible in a Gi.

I was very impressed with what he showed on the ground against Silva.

Roger Gracie: Chris Weidman Can Submit Any World-Class Grappler, Even Me.

hot damn

He subbed a bunch of black belts in the east coast trials.

Guy is a legit submission grappling prodigy.

Back