Was UFC 159 the most bizarre UFC event?

M Raid K

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
In a single event we had:

- two fights ending in rare technical decisions (both Alan Belcher and Gian Villante were severely poked in the eye which forced referees to stop the fight and collect judges scorecards)
- two fights with one of fighters injuring his finger (Yancy Medeiros injured his thumb and Jon Jones injured his big toe)
- Bruce Buffer screwing BIG TIME during the post-fight announcement: accidentally mistaking Pat Healy for Jim Miller (completely fair in hindsight, as later it was revealed Healy failed his drug test and the result was changed to NC)
- the introduction of The Demonic Voice (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pUoxrG6pSY )
- Cody McKenzie defeating Leonard Garcia (which finally forced UFC brass to cut Garcia from the promotion)
- one fight scrapped after the weigh-ins (which was unheard of at the time)
- one of the least deserving, compelling or promising title shots ever leading to a one-sided beatdown

Yep, it was crazy.

Imagine if Sonnen survived the first round and they stopped the fight because of Jon's toe, giving Sonnen a TKO victory for the title.

Yup totally, and I watched a few fights from the airport before getting home cuz I was just back from Rivera Maya which made it even more weird. Didnt Caraway score a huge come from behind sub in that fight?

Yep, it was crazy.

Imagine if Sonnen survived the first round and they stopped the fight because of Jon's toe, giving Sonnen a TKO victory for the title.

He would have held on to that belt for at least a year. LOL.

That was some weird shit. Don't remember the demonic voice though...

a fight being scraped after the weigh-ins isnt that crazy considering Kevin Randleman knocked himself out right before a fight

UFC 151 was totally Bonkers, but it's my fav PPV ever

Just for your info,.. most HQ cameras for production do not record audio. I am betting this is someone near the announcing mics, or boom operator.

In a single event we had:

- two fights with one of fighters injuring his finger (Yancy Medeiros injured his thumb and Jon Jones injured his big toe)

Ummm....no fingers to see here folks.

? What's wrong? AFAIK, you say "fingers" when you mean both fingers and toes. Or not?

You can refer to them as "injured digits", but technically a toe is a finger, but a thumb is not.

haha didn't recall much of that.

But if all that happened, then it HAS to be the fucking weirdest UFC event ever.

I think dana even said it at the postfight

JAAAAARED RRRRRIIIPSSS

i was laughing my ass off when it happened

Back