Was Tyson as good as people think?

He was as good as some people thought, and not as good as other people thought. I'm not sure which people this thread refers to.

I think he was one of the best boxers and specimens of all time at heavyweight, but undersized for a modern heavyweight and a tremendous head case. All things considered, I'd say he was great but fatally flawed.

Tysons physical abilities were otherworldly. However, you need more than that at the top.

Mikes decline was his own self doing and it began with cus' death. Mike did go on without him and got better, but with no real father figure or guidance outside of rooney....don king found his way into his life, and so began the corruption of mikes mind body and soul. He started doing drugs, partying too much, met robin the leech givens, and basically just let his outside life control him and ruin him mentally inside the ring. Without Rooney there to somewhat keep his head in check, he started to downwards spiral mentally, and that was all she wrote. So yes....had cus not died and had rooney been there till the end....mike would definitely had been a different beast....just like if ali didnt have to waste a lot of his prime in the courts.

Don't care what haters say. Tyson in his prime was unstoppable. His power is brutal and speed are still unique, nobody has ever moved that fast and only a few could hit as hard as he did.

Last edited:
Mikes decline was his own self doing and it began with cus' death. Mike did go on without him and got better, but with no real father figure or guidance outside of rooney....don king found his way into his life, and so began the corruption of mikes mind body and soul. He started doing drugs, partying too much, met robin the leech givens, and basically just let his outside life control him and ruin him mentally inside the ring. Without Rooney there to somewhat keep his head in check, he started to downwards spiral mentally, and that was all she wrote. So yes....had cus not died and had rooney been there till the end....mike would definitely had been a different beast....just like if ali didnt have to waste a lot of his prime in the courts.

Saying Mike got no father figure outside of Rooney is like saying one got no money outside of dollars. It makes no sense.

I, like most people, only have one father. Does that mean I don't have any father at all?

I think he was better than most people think.

Long time lurker , just watched the Mike Tyson Documentary. It got me thinking whenever I talk boxing with friends they automatically bring up Tyson and how great he was , with a few friends calling him TBE. I disagree ,I don't even think he was better than Bowe but just me. My question to you is where do you rank Tyson in his era and all time?

Bowe > Tyson

I agree with that TS

He was one of the most exciting boxers the world has ever seen, but yeah...
In my opinion he is overrated. He lost always when it came down to business against real great boxers like Holyfield or Lennox. His best win was Tucker, that

Saying Mike got no father figure outside of Rooney is like saying one got no money outside of dollars. It makes no sense.

I, like most people, only have one father. Does that mean I don't have any father at all?

You're not Mike Tyson.

I'm not sure what the point you quoted even means?

Tyson was great. For the first 5 years of his reign, he really was the whole package. He had freakish speed and power with the trainers who knew how to properly harness those strengths. Excellent defense and upper body movement. He was truly unique.

Say what you want about the competition he faced, but I believe prime Tyson beats or gives hell to any Heavyweight from any era. I think him and Ali would be a 50/50 fight. I might get some shit for that, but oh well.

Saying Tyson had "no father figure or guidance outside of Kevin Rooney" is a perfectly fine statement. Rooney is only 10 years older than Tyson, hardly a source of fatherly wisdom and guidance.

Like 100% of people, unless you count Arnold & Danny DeVito from Twins.

Like 100% of people, unless you count Arnold & Danny DeVito from Twins.

I don't know man. I bet half of those f****t justices grew up with two abusive transgender fathers.

Tyson was great. For the first 5 years of his reign, he really was the whole package. He had freakish speed and power with the trainers who knew how to properly harness those strengths. Excellent defense and upper body movement. He was truly unique.

Say what you want about the competition he faced, but I believe prime Tyson beats or gives hell to any Heavyweight from any era. I think him and Ali would be a 50/50 fight. I might get some shit for that, but oh well.

Yep. Tysons speed gives Ali problems regardless of how good Alis movement was.

As good as Ali was, he never fought anyone like the best version of Tyson. No, not Liston.

As good as Ali was, he never fought anyone like the best version of Tyson. No, not Liston.

Frazier is somewhat comparable. And Mike on the other side didn't do that well against Tillis, who was a much worse version of Ali.

Frazier is somewhat comparable. And Mike on the other side didn't do that well against Tillis, who was a much worse version of Ali.

I don't think Frazier had the speed or explosiveness. More heart for sure. But not the same physical gifts.

Yep. Tysons speed gives Ali problems regardless of how good Alis movement was.

I do think, however, that Ali would have Tyson seething mad by the time the fight rolled around. Man, can you imagine Ali busting Tyson's balls about that lisp?? I could see Tyson coming in recklessly because he'd be fighting angry. Much like when he fought Mitch Green. Tyson should've knocked that guy out but he fought angry and just shot in for the big right hand all night. If he had controlled the anger and focused more, I think he would've dispatched Green with ease.

Ali would troll Tyson hard lol.

Back