Was the US ever meant to be a single country ?

States lose autonomy because the world is getting smaller, with internet, cellphones, aicraft, someone can administer something from the other side of the globe.

Just like when being an ambassador meant something, nowadays Obama can get on the phone and talk directly with someone half the world away, ambassadors become less of diplomats and more of clerks.

Was the U.S. ever meant to be a single, large nation? Gosh, that's a hard one. I wish there was some document that made clear if the various states were meant to be governed by a larger overarching Federal government. A document that might spell out exactly how that Federal government is meant to operate and how it's operations would intersect with the states.

But where would we find such a document?

tumblr_nequ00GLR51u3o7azo1_400.gif

The Civil War royally fucked any chance of real states' rights. Try to go against the federal government and the larger, stronger government will skull fuck you. There is too much regional division for states to have a chance.

USA is supposed to be 50 independent states that have a Federal Government that protects the states militarily. The Federal Government was never designed to rule the USA but has become that through political corruption.

When being a politician becomes a career the politicians focus on staying politicians. I don't blame them. When you have a job you want to keep that job. It is, however, not supposed to be a job.

Trump 2016.

He doesn't need money or really care what you think of him, he just wants to help our country in the last years of his life. Nothing more selfless than that.
I'm sure that Trump really is looking to gain the role of executive so as to reduce the role and power of the executive. That's some quality logic on your part.

The Union was voluntary until Lincoln forced us into a horrible war.

it was a war needed and war worth unification. So Before you start this, be aware that if didnt happen then it would happened later at a much higher price. Every country goes threw a unification war, we did.

USA is supposed to be 50 independent states that have a Federal Government that protects the states militarily. The Federal Government was never designed to rule the USA but has become that through political corruption.

When being a politician becomes a career the politicians focus on staying politicians. I don't blame them. When you have a job you want to keep that job. It is, however, not supposed to be a job.

Trump 2016.

He doesn't need money or really care what you think of him, he just wants to help our country in the last years of his life. Nothing more selfless than that.

i almost thought you were saying some real shit which you were, but right after you said trump. Your intelligence dropped off the radar, an you went full retard. The us was also never designed to be run by fucking corrupt corporate business men either.

We already had what you're talking about, it was before the current system. The Articles of Confederation established our early (weak) government before the Consitution was ratified. There was no Executive, Supreme Court, nor any way to regulate interstate commerce (one of the early main issues).
The Revolutionary War ended in 1784, yet Washington wasn't President until 1789.....The intervening years were not effective, at all

sure; if the people of Virginia wanted to make legal "white/black only businesses," the Feds would step in and deem it un-Constitutional even though there is nothing in the Constitution denying the right of private businesses from doing so.
Lol. You are talking out your ass. A black/white only business is not unconstitutional, and never has been held to be unconstitutional. It is illegal under the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which draws its constitutional authority from the commerce clause under the theory that racial discrimination in private businesses has an effect on national commerce. It is against the law. It is not unconstitutional (at least US Constitution state constitutions vary and could make such conduct "unconstitutional").

I"m also not sure some people know what Judicial Review is, in this thread. Shit goes back to like Marbury v. Madison

Lol. You are talking out your ass. A black/white only business is not unconstitutional, and never has been held to be unconstitutional. It is illegal under the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which draws its constitutional authority from the commerce clause under the theory that racial discrimination in private businesses has an effect on national commerce. It is against the law. It is not unconstitutional (at least US Constitution state constitutions vary and could make such conduct "unconstitutional").
And was also reinforced by the SC decision in Heart of ATL Motel v US

Was the U.S. ever meant to be a single, large nation? Gosh, that's a hard one. I wish there was some document that made clear if the various states were meant to be governed by a larger overarching Federal government. A document that might spell out exactly how that Federal government is meant to operate and how it's operations would intersect with the states.

Not just that but we also had this major American event a few years after that document that made Americas opinion of states rights and federal government really Fn clear. Might even go so far as to say It was the most decisive part of that argument in American history

The Union was voluntary until Lincoln forced us into a horrible war.

It seems like Lincoln should have just let them secede and everything would have been all roses but I think if he had there would have been a war fought anyway so he preempted them.

It seems like Lincoln should have just let them secede and everything would have been all roses but I think if he had there would have been a war fought anyway so he preempted them.
He did just let them secede..... the south attacked an Army fort. " Attacking America" is usually seen as a good reason for war.

He did just let them secede..... the south attacked an Army fort. " Attacking America" is usually seen as a good reason for war.

Right, he had no control over them seceding, but even if he had let them had that fort, war would have happened eventually as the CSA was very imperialistic by nature.

up a unicorn's butthole?

The cult of the "founding fathers" is really very strange.

These men were rich, slave owning traitors to the British crown who won their rebellion thanks to French ships and French money.

Who fucking cares what they wanted ?

Build a rational country. Stop with the rest of the crap

Probably the greatest post you have made on sherdog, and very insightful. I see many people on this forum look up to the founding fathers as if they were Gods or Saints.

Back