Was the UFC's rise and fall based mostly on GSP ?

Coffee79

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
While guys like Chuck and Tito held the UFC together and brought it some base attention up to 2005, it wasn't until GSP came along that we saw the UFC become the massive name it is. When you look at the peak year's of the UFC, it's mostly tied to when GSP was fighting.

I will give all credit to TUF and Spike for bringing the UFC to the forefront, but when GSP beat Hughes in March of 2006, his persona and style really put the UFC over the top. Ratings blew up and even moderate MMA fans began paying attention to other names. Brock's addition to the UFC only helped thing, but ratings didn't drop after he retired. But it wasn't until GSP's last fight in late 2013 ratings began taking a hit.

GSP was surely part of it, but not the sole cause.

No. Not the fall. The rise had a big part though

No. There's a number of factors to it. Injuries, oversaturation, many top ppb stars left around the same time frame, etc. If you had to tie it to any one person though, the best candidate is most likely Brock. At UFCs peak is also Brocks peak, that's no coincidence.

No. Not the fall. The rise had a big part though

I do blame over saturation and too many divisions for some of the decline in UFC popularity, but I think GSP was at least keeping them mainstream.

But the last time I remember a standing only option at Buffalo Wild Wings was when GSP fought Hendricks. Even the PPVs that didn't involve GSP were standing only when GSP was still champ. Once he left, though, I have been able to go to BW3s half way through the main card to find plenty of seats.

Yeah, go figure, how A "ground and ponder" could be so popular in this blood sport.

On top of being a winner. I have sneaking suspicion that it's because he was a white handsome fighter with a charming personality and cute little Frenchie-English speak.

LOL no.

Im a huge GSP fan, and after Lesnar he definitely was the sport's biggest draw. He is also the biggest name "produced" by the UFC.

BUT. The UFC did 8 PPVs during GSP's time that did 1000000 buys. GSP did not headline a single one of those, and fought on only 1 of them. Lesnar, Silva, Jones, Rashad, Chuck were all key guys

LOL, fuck no. Please spare us the revisionist history.

I love how some folks were not around during those years and yet think they know how it all went down. Much like folks do with politics. Fucking aggravating as all hell, it's how lies start. Rewriting history to fit your desires/needs.

GSP was a star in the sport, but let's not start painting him as being bigger than the sport. He's not Jesus Christ or anything here, fan boy.

I always wondered why GSP was so popular. Always thought it was a Canadian thing and Americans were just OK with him

I always wondered why GSP was so popular. Always thought it was a Canadian thing and Americans were just OK with him

I am American and always had great respect for GSP as a man and especially as a fighter. He outclassed everyone he fought

The UFC has fallen? Pretty sure they've only grown.

I love how some folks were not around during those years and yet think they know how it all went down. Much like folks do with politics. Fucking aggravating as all hell, it's how lies start. Rewriting history to fit your desires/needs.

GSP was a star in the sport, but let's not start painting him as being bigger than the sport. He's not Jesus Christ or anything here, fan boy.

Haha seriously you need to switch to decaf

His departure fucked them. This is why Dana acted the way he did and threw him under the bus.

the-boondock-saints-cat-scene-o.gif

I loved you in Boondock Saints

Back